Author Topic: Spiced Chicken & Sweet Potato  (Read 50917 times)

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
Re: Spiced Chicken & Sweet Potato
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2009, 04:54:59 am »
I would - into say three pieces across the grain-help it cook faster and get more marinade flavour in - but it's not my recipe.   :-\ :-\ :P
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline I Love Bimby!

• View Profile
    • Thermomix in North East Victoria
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2009, 06:40:20 am »
It's completely up to you Chelsea. When I make it I just pop the whole thigh in there as one piece - saves time and mucking about. But Thermomixer is right, the flavours would go through the meat more if it was smaller pieces and it would quick a bit faster.
For a healthier lifestyle.
Thermomix addict and consultant.

http://thermomixinnortheastvictoria.blogspot.com/ - My Blog

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2009, 12:29:18 pm »
This was so yummy!  10/10 without a doubt.  The flavour reminded me of my Dad's "signature" dish (also his only dish  ;)) chicken piri piri.  The chicken was a lot more tender than Dad's however and I didn't stand for hours at the stove stirring and fussing.  I had to leave the chilli out completely because of DH's tummy ulcers but it was still very tasty.

I cut the chicken thighs in half and that worked well.  I used 700g of chicken and 500g of sweet potato and placed them all in the bottom of the varoma (leaving spaces for the steam to come through).  With 10 minutes to go I added the top varoma tray with trimmed green beans.  After I put the chicken, sweet potato and sauce in the thermoserve I put down a piece of foil and sat the green beans on top to keep them warm while I steamed the rice.

Very easy and delicious.  Thanks Jolene!  :)

Offline I Love Bimby!

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2009, 01:22:51 pm »
My absolute pleasure. Just glad that others enjoy it too  :)

That's what this place is all about - sharing our successes.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2009, 05:33:45 pm »
Cut all the pieces, and arrange on two pieces of the Varoma trays with sweet potatoes interlocking.
Beautiful meal ILB. I was called "a Genius" at one stage which I protested  ;) (not) Damn delicious is what I will say. Microwaved peas and corn on the side, but you can have whatever veges you like, you just need something else otherwise you may be looking around your plate for more. No big complaints at all. Give it 9.5 out of 10. Will be making this again due to popular demand and always looking for compliments. Keep these recipes coming!
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 03:27:10 pm by CreamPuff63 »
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2010, 07:29:56 am »
Just thought I would "bump" this recipe for all of the new-comers who haven't tried it yet.  It is just divine and is perfect for a dinner party or special family meal!!! I have it cooking at the moment and it smells delicious.  Tonight I have used 500g of chicken thighs and 500g of sweet potato.  Can't wait for it to cook!!!  :)

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2010, 11:29:07 am »
Thanks Chelsea - great idea - need to keep the favourite recipes at the forefront to make it easy for newbies
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline raven

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2010, 11:27:42 am »
Ok I tried this recipe tonight and not quite failure. But where did I go wrong? I went with the recipe and my tomato sauce got a bit burnt on the bottom? There isnt much of it at all. Is it meant to be more liquid sauce or thick sauce?

Offline I Love Bimby!

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2010, 12:11:01 pm »
Hi Raven,
 :'( I'm not sure what you did wrong, but sounds like there wasn't enough liquid in the bowl for it to all burn on the bottom, or you may have cooked it for too long???  It's a reasonably liquid sauce to pour over the top. 

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2010, 10:07:41 pm »
I make it often and haven't had any problems with the sauce burning. ???

Offline raven

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2010, 12:25:20 pm »
hmm Im not sure where I went wrong but my DH reckons it was still delish! Ill have to just keep practising  ;)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2010, 12:28:42 pm »
Next time Raven, have a look halfway through the cooking and add more water if you think it is too thick.  Also check out that it is moving well - I often up the speed by a notch to ensure there is no sticking with my sauces.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2010, 01:16:03 am »
I just looked at the recipe and the only thing I do differently is use diced tomatoes instead of crushed ones.  Perhaps they have a little more liquid in with them?  It is yummy so give it another go.  Perhaps add a little more water just to be sure.  :)

Offline dyljon

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2010, 05:28:40 am »
My husband won't eat thighs, so even though I know they are more flavorsome and tender I am stuck with using breast fillets. Do you think if I butterfly them this recipe will still work? I haven't used my varoma yet and want my 1st attempt to be a success!

Also, can you steam beans in the steamer basket above the sauce while chicken is cooking?
Donella - Happy Valley SA

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2010, 09:48:45 am »
You can dyljon but they won't take as long to cook. I use thighs for this recipe but I've steamed butterflied chicken fillets and only do them for 8 - 10 minutes (once the TMX gets up to varoma temp). You can cook the beans in the varoma tray, above the varoma dish.  It is all about timing though and cutting the vegies into pieces so they all cook evenly and are ready at the same time.  If the chicken is cooked before the vegies just place it in the thermosaver to keep warm (or wrap it in alfoil and sit the package on top of the varoma lid to keep it warm) until the vegies are cooked. 
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.