Author Topic: What book are you reading?  (Read 507374 times)

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
Re: What book are you reading?
« Reply #315 on: October 01, 2012, 10:12:10 am »
Yes do. You might not like the theme but you will  applaud the writing. Such Pleasure. I read anything And everything but maybe I should  start drawing the  line or go back and read  Dickens again .

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline Amanda

• View Profile
    • Lambs Ears and Honey
« Reply #316 on: October 01, 2012, 10:12:55 am »
Finished Hilary Mantel's "Bring up the Bodies" this morning. A fantastic read, full of political intrigue - I can't wait for the next installment.

Have just started Adam Gopnik's "The Table Comes First: France, Family, and the Meaning of Food" - shaping up well.
Freelance food/travel writer. Lives in the Adelaide hills and writes a food blog - http://www.lambsearsandhoney.com

Mama Fergie

« Reply #317 on: October 01, 2012, 10:13:00 am »
I am reading Harlan Coben Stay Close at the moment. Always enjoy his books.
Next one Jodie Picoult Picture Perfect. Had it on my bookshelves for awhile now.

Too many books and not enough time to read them.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: October 01, 2012, 12:23:13 pm »
Gert DD beat me to it so I may have it for when we are travelling, although I can't read when we are moving.  I read a lot of so called 'rubbish'but I do like light reads too. As long as it keeps my attention I'll read it.
This jolly iPad has my attention too much and I don't read as often. ::
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #319 on: October 01, 2012, 12:35:30 pm »
I've just bought the e-book of Nigellissima onto my iPad and am slowly going through it and typing up recipes onto my laptop.  Still at the pasta section, there's lots I want to make.  ;D

Offline Amy :-)

• View Profile
« Reply #320 on: October 01, 2012, 01:59:29 pm »
OMG Amy  read something just for fun sometimes. They all sound as boring as dog poo.

Um... they are for fun Gert :-)) Fun and personal development ;)

Mama Fergie

« Reply #321 on: October 01, 2012, 04:10:19 pm »
You are right Amy, everyone's idea of fun is different.
I study Asian languages and cultures for fun and love it.
I also enjoy reading light hearted fiction but both equally fun.
Read what you enjoy.......  That's my way of thinking  ;D

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: October 01, 2012, 04:38:54 pm »
I am reading Harlan Coben Stay Close at the moment. Always enjoy his books.
Next one Jodie Picoult Picture Perfect. Had it on my bookshelves for awhile now.

Too many books and not enough time to read them.
I enjoyed Harlen Coben Stay Close but I think his best is Tell No One ;)
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Online Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #323 on: October 01, 2012, 09:29:40 pm »
Gert, thanks for your initial comments on The Vacancy.  I'm looking forward to your full review!  It will be great to read a well written book.  I have never read the Harry Potter books so am planning to start on them very soon.

I tend to read a lot of light fiction (because they don't make me think too much) - I work long, hard hours, a minimum of 55 per week, with only a 30 minute lunch break Mon - Fri, and no break on Saturdays, so books are my escape and relaxation, I just can't get into most of the junk that is on TV so my kindle has become my good friend.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline Emme

• View Profile
« Reply #324 on: October 01, 2012, 09:34:56 pm »
I have read the Harry Potter series and enjoyed them and I too read anything and everything. Have a lot waiting on my Kindle to get through  ;D

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #325 on: October 01, 2012, 10:06:09 pm »
Cuilidh  the Harry Potter books are fun but not something I would not normally read. I love who done it and crime stuff.  Corban, Baldacci, Gerritsen, Connolly, etc. for a cheapie read on Kindle Rebecca Forster is a legal thriller writer. For the good  Inspector Lynley is Elizabeth George,  Mark  Gimenez . Of course John  Grisham. R J Jagger , another cheapie. Johnothan  Kellerman . I liked David Lender. Jodi Piccult.  DI Morrissey,  Judy Nunn, Caroline Overington, Nancy Taylor Rossenberg. I love Anita  Shreve. Randy Singer another cheapie. Maeve Binchy, Susan Duncan 's The Briny Cafe set in Pittwater where I lived  was fun and beautifully written. Everyone must have read George Orwell at school. I recently re  read  Animal Farm. Joseph Heller books are great.

I must stop!!!!

Steve Jobs. Bio was interesting as was Dear Fatty by Dawn French.

Amy I don't read any books these days about self development. I think it is way too late for me!  I loath gardening though I used to do flower arranging and had lots of  books about that.  I am not at all crafty  so no books of that nature.  I did read the Bible years ago. I love the language of Shakespeare though I have not re read any in years.  I love biographies of classical musicians. Edward Elgar one of my favourites  though Sir Tomas Beecham was of interest. I read biographies about one ten books.

I may just may be getting a decent phone so so I must  find an Idiots guide for iPhone. I guess that would be self help. I love those guides.

Gert

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Online Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #326 on: October 01, 2012, 10:22:07 pm »
Thanks for the author suggestions, Gert.  Now I know where to come for inspiration next time I am looking for good authors.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #327 on: October 01, 2012, 10:50:39 pm »
Not saying  they are all 'good'  but all enjoyable by me. I don't think it matters what you read so long as you read.  You can start by reading cereal boxes.  In fact I think cereal manufactures miss out by not having a serial story on their boxes.  Milk cartons too. At least kids might get interested. On a recent flight  I saw two parents with two children. The parents were reading Kindles and the kids had some  game thingys  and were very noisy and aggressive playing some kill,'em game . I would have preferred the other way around. I am sure a lot of teachers on this forum  despair about  the lack of reading by kids these days.

I know of a 15 year old privately educated boy who prides himself in never having read a book and yet he thinks he will be going to UNI . What a joke and no doubt it will be wasting his parents money.  He can't spell and his FB page is full of expletives spelled badly. What a joke. 

Gert

Offline Amanda

• View Profile
    • Lambs Ears and Honey
« Reply #328 on: October 01, 2012, 10:56:26 pm »
I love reading contemporary literature, some non-fiction & some biographies.
But I really, really love to read murder mysteries & would read nothing else if I didn't exercise some self control, so I stagger them in between "proper" books.

It's a bit like chocolate. I really, really like that too, but know that a varied diet is better for me.
A good murder mystery is chocolate for my brain.  ;) ;D
Freelance food/travel writer. Lives in the Adelaide hills and writes a food blog - http://www.lambsearsandhoney.com

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #329 on: October 01, 2012, 11:06:14 pm »
I like that Amanda . Well put.

Gert