Author Topic: What book are you reading?  (Read 507255 times)

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
Re: What book are you reading?
« Reply #195 on: September 09, 2012, 06:42:40 am »
Have just finished reading The Innocent by David Baldacci.  First book of his I have read and quite enjoyed it although there are quite a few casualties in the story.  An action-packed thriller. Now back to some of the books I have stored on my Kindle

Marie  :)

I love Balsacci.

I have just downloaded  the latest Jack Reacher  A wanted Man by Lee Child. Finishing off a Freebie before I get I to it.

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline Amanda

• View Profile
    • Lambs Ears and Honey
« Reply #196 on: September 09, 2012, 08:28:37 am »
I've just finished "Life Sentences" by Laura Lippman.  She's usually good for an exciting read and this one didn't disappoint, although there wasn't an actual murder this time.

Now ploughing through Colm Toibin's "New Ways to Kill Your Mother" about writers and their families.  Interesting but not as engaging as a good murder.  ;) :-))
Freelance food/travel writer. Lives in the Adelaide hills and writes a food blog - http://www.lambsearsandhoney.com

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: September 09, 2012, 12:49:27 pm »
The Donna Leon for book club was better than the first one I read, thank goodness.
I've almost finished 'Get Well Soon' byKristy Chambers. It is very light and funny. She is a nurse and it's about her daily goings on. I'm having a good laugh. I hope to finish it tonight, then I'll start a J. D. Robb.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Delightful Den

• View Profile
« Reply #198 on: September 09, 2012, 01:24:54 pm »
I am reading "Eat and Run". It is an auto biography of sorts by Scott Jurak. He is an ultra marathon runner who is a vegan. He has included some recipes that he uses in racing and recovery.

I finished Karin Slaughter "Genesis" last week. She writes crime fiction set in Georgia.

Offline Soph77

• View Profile
« Reply #199 on: September 09, 2012, 08:25:44 pm »
Dashingden - I've just finished eat and run too. Great book and amazing guy. I run marathons and about to try my first proper ultra. Couldn't go vegan but have been vegetarian for about 6 weeks now. If you like the book another good one is 'Thrive' - not sure who it's by at the moment! Has lots of good recipes.

Offline Delightful Den

• View Profile
« Reply #200 on: September 10, 2012, 02:30:59 pm »
Hey Soph, I am supposed to be training for the Rottenest marathon in about 7 weeks. I don't know if I am going to make it. One of my hammies has started to get a bit of a niggle. My last long run was really tough.

I have been thinking I would like to run Comrades in South Africa.

Offline Amy :-)

• View Profile
« Reply #201 on: September 10, 2012, 11:47:27 pm »
I have been thinking I would like to run Comrades in South Africa.

When is it Den?

Offline Delightful Den

• View Profile
« Reply #202 on: September 11, 2012, 08:50:53 am »
It is run between Durban and Petermarasberg (???) each year around may I think. It is about 90km. It changes a little from year to year. 

• View Profile
« Reply #203 on: September 11, 2012, 08:53:07 am »
I'd love to go just to watch and see what a marathon is like. If I save up can I go with you and be your cheer squad? ;D

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: September 11, 2012, 08:56:56 am »
You have only 12 hours to do it and it is in June next year .

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

• View Profile
« Reply #205 on: September 11, 2012, 09:05:12 am »
You were quick Gertie ;D

Offline Delightful Den

• View Profile
« Reply #206 on: September 11, 2012, 09:37:35 am »
You have only 12 hours to do it and it is in June next year .

Gert

They are serious about the 12 hour cut off too. At the exact cut off time the close the finishing chute and if you are not in by that time you don;t get to finish.

I'd love to go just to watch and see what a marathon is like. If I save up can I go with you and be your cheer squad? ;D

Amy I would be happy to have you as part of my support crew. I have to save up so I can afford o do it too. Oh yeah and I have to train for it.

• View Profile
« Reply #207 on: September 11, 2012, 09:43:09 am »
Oh yeah and I have to train for it.

Best not forget that bit ;D ;D

I'm excited now, I'm going to stick the dates up on my corkboard :D

Offline Delightful Den

• View Profile
« Reply #208 on: September 11, 2012, 04:05:14 pm »
Dashingden - I've just finished eat and run too. Great book and amazing guy. I run marathons and about to try my first proper ultra. Couldn't go vegan but have been vegetarian for about 6 weeks now. If you like the book another good one is 'Thrive' - not sure who it's by at the moment! Has lots of good recipes.

What ultra are you doing? Have you read " Born to run" by Christopher Mcdougal? I really enjoyed that book. Last year I ran past Barefoot Ted in the Marine Corps Marathon.

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #209 on: September 12, 2012, 01:02:19 am »
That's a great goal Dash, 90kms - I can't even comprehend running that far or for that long. I admire all of you that have the mental strength to do the training for the marathons and ultras.

Amy I really enjoy watching the marathons and found it ever greater when I've had people to cheer on. Maybe you should look at trying a half marathon when there is one near you. I'm not interested in training for a full marathon and don't really like jogging enough but I've done a few halfs and it was fantastic if you are on the same course as the elite marathon runners - seeing them up close as they run past was amazing and almost more satisfying for me than actually finishing.