Author Topic: special biscuits requests--sorry in wrong spot and can't delete myself :-)  (Read 8418 times)

Offline Lellyj

• View Profile
Edit:  Sorry everyone--put this in the wrong spot (again). . . sorry moderators, meant to put in the recipe request section .  Will be more careful in future.

Hi everyone

My son is off hiking at a wonderful outdoor ed facility called Wollangarra.  He is absolutely in his element there and I am so grateful to the staff there who give so much to the young people who visit there and give their time for almost no pay.  Last year when we went to pick him up at their open day I bought the staff some imported chocolates--Jacob (son, now 16) was categorically unimpressed that I would buy the "Wollies" such a gift . . . think of the food miles!!

So this year, I thought I might make them some biscuits made with eggs from my own chooks, and even my own butter--might be more appropriate and environmentally friendly! I want to make something really special, as they make all their own food there so anzacs and muffins would be quite everday.  Has to be something that doesn't require refrigeration as they have no power and limited fridge (I think they have a gas fridge) and we have to hike 2km to get there.  I was thinking of Julie O's melting moments . . . do you think that would be a good choice.  (We are not staying overnight so we don't have a lot to carry in and I thought I coud wrap them up nicely in tissue paper and in a nice (recycled!) box!
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 12:57:34 pm by Lellyj »
Teacher and Mum in Phillip Island, Victoria

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
Re: special biscuits
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, 12:46:16 pm »
This post is probably in the wrong spot lellyj. This is the Recipe Review area.

Your suggestion sounds good. Another option would be a trail mix with dry roasted nuts and dried fruit. But since you want to use as much of your own ingredients as possible, the biscuits would be excellent.
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline Lellyj

• View Profile
Thanks Meganjane

How embarrassing that I did that again. :-(.  Yes, really wanted something a bit different for the wollangarra staff.  THought I'd share a bit about them because they do such a great job raising environmental awareness about young people.  They get plenty of scroggin etc on the hikes but I thought melting moments yo you style biscuits or something special would be nice.  I saw your beautiful melting moments, but I'm not that crash hot with a piping bag.  Thanks

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
They don't need a piping bag, I was just being clever! Just spoon them onto the tray and press down with a fork. I think they'd go down a treat, but would need to be packed very carefully.
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
most people like chocolate, if it was me I would probably make these Choc Fudgy Wudgy Biccies, or even some meringues or macarooms (thinking of the ample googgies you have)
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
I would probably make some C antucci biscuits.  The recipe takes 4 eggs and 3yolks. Would travel well.

Offline Lellyj

• View Profile
Thanks for the suggestions ladies, and to Cookie for moving this post to where it should have been.  Creampuff, macarons were my first thought, but I thought it might be a bit ambitious, as I've never tried before.  Made fudgy wudgy biscuits today as I had visitors--not a one left!  Good to know I don't have to attempt to pipe the melting moments, Meaganjane! Am interested to try the biscotti style biccies too, I often give these style biscuits at Christmas time, and haven't made them in the TMX yet.  Will have another little fiddle tomorrow!  Will be in strife if I keep baking everyday to try things out!
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 12:59:05 pm by Lellyj »

Offline Bedlam

• Denise - Mandurah WA
    • View Profile
Thanks for the suggestions ladies, and to Cookie for moving this post to where it should have been.  Creampuff, macarons were my first thought, but I thought it might be a bit ambitious, as I've never tried before.  Made fudgy wudgy biscuits today as I had visitors--not a one left!  Good to know I don't have to attempt to pipe the melting moments, Meaganjane! Am interested to try the biscotti style biccies too, I often give these style biscuits at Christmas time, and haven't made them in the TMX yet.  Will have another little fiddle tomorrow!  Will be in strife if I keep baking everyday to try things out!

Lellyj,
Wait until I get home, will try out my cooking class recipe and if theyvare good will post all the secret tips and recipe for you. Bought a confectioners thermometer here in Paris today, different to what I have seen at home and a good memory.
Now after a nana nap we are being kicked out of our room so they can clean it- hard life. Start the long haul home tomorrow.
Denise

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
It's always nice to come home Denise - will be lovely to have you back posting some of the recipes you've picked up during your travels.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Lellyj

• View Profile
Thank you Bedlam!  Will look forward to hearing all about the things you have learned.  Wishing you a safe and hasslefree trip home!

Offline KarenH

• View Profile
Re: special biscuits requests--sorry in wrong spot and can't delete myself :-)
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2011, 11:42:29 pm »
I know you asked for a biscuit recipe - but how about some home-made lemon curd as well, if you have some lemons?  I often make this for gifts for people, and they always seem to love it and see it as something special. 
Karen in Adelaide

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2011, 01:26:58 am »
never really liked lemon curd that much and always wondered why peope made it until I made some of Tenina's recently, and put it into cupcakes, chookies Queen of Puddings, on crumpets, and some pikelets. Now I love it  :P
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline KarenH

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2011, 01:31:46 am »
Teninas lemon curd is my favourite recipe too CP  :D
Karen in Adelaide

Offline Denzelmum

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2011, 11:09:35 am »
Our favourites are Isi's cinnamon cookies http://www.forumthermomix.com/index.php?topic=2870.0 and chelsea's $250 cookies here http://www.forumthermomix.com/index.php?topic=1278.0.

This one doesn't use egg, but we all love the walnut balls from Vegetarian book.  My tweak is using 100g each - date, dried apricot and almond.  
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 11:11:48 am by Denzelmum »
Vegetarian family in Sydney

When you take time to prepare healthy food for family and friends, you are offering them a special gift.  Not only will they feel nourished by the nutrients in the food but also by your generosity in creating delicious treats for their enjoyment.

Offline earth mumma

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2011, 11:38:35 am »
My mum make the cardamon cookies out of the indian cokbook.  They are quite a hard bickie, but delicious and something a little different.  She puts a whole almond on top of hers and the look llovely.  They would also travel well I think and when she makes a batch they do last for about a week in her cookie jar (unless the kids and I pop over for a visit that is  ;D)