Author Topic: Should I become a consultant?  (Read 116798 times)

Offline grapesy83

• View Profile
Re: Should I become a consultant?
« Reply #120 on: April 11, 2012, 03:22:15 am »
Kent, how is it going for you?  Also I would love to get an update from Sue and Ted. I am currently tossing up the idea of becoming a consultant but have certain reservations about it which have also been expressed in this thread.  I would love to hear how new consultants are going (currently serving their probation period) and those consultants who have since finished their probation period and been on their own for a few months.

Offline kent

• View Profile
« Reply #121 on: April 14, 2012, 01:58:34 am »
Kent, how is it going for you?  Also I would love to get an update from Sue and Ted. I am currently tossing up the idea of becoming a consultant but have certain reservations about it which have also been expressed in this thread.  I would love to hear how new consultants are going (currently serving their probation period) and those consultants who have since finished their probation period and been on their own for a few months.

Hi there Grapesy, I have been contacted by my local consultant and group leader to organise me to attend an open day.  Unfortunately it was meant to be held last week, but was cancelled due to low numbers.  They're going to re-schedule it.

So I can't really tell you much about it at all.  I've spoken to both the consultant and group leader on the phone, and they sound really nice.  I'm going to meet them tomorrow at the Berwick food and wine festival, and I assume they'll tell me the details of when the next open day will be.

My biggest issue is whether there was a minimum amount of time that I need to dedicate to consulting for TM.  As I already have a full time job and a family, I can't really spend hours and hours doing it.  It was more of a hobby for me and educating others on what a great product it is, etc.  Not really in it for the money.  My wife has photography as a hobby, so I thought this would be good for me :-)

Anyway, when I attend the open day (not sure when it will be) I'll provide an update here.  In any case, I won't be starting training until after we return from Fiji in June this year, as I'll have three weeks of holidays that I can dedicate to training, etc.

Offline grapesy83

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 14, 2012, 12:07:19 pm »
Thanks Kent, also going to Fiji soon (must be the place to be). I went to an open day last week and although they made the job sound fun and exciting I'm still uncertain about the real commitment and targets that are required.  I believe you need to sell at least 3 within your probation period of 60 days which I think is a tough ask. And then our open day suggested 4 a month to make it worth your time.

Offline kent

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: April 14, 2012, 10:50:05 pm »
Thanks Kent, also going to Fiji soon (must be the place to be). I went to an open day last week and although they made the job sound fun and exciting I'm still uncertain about the real commitment and targets that are required.  I believe you need to sell at least 3 within your probation period of 60 days which I think is a tough ask. And then our open day suggested 4 a month to make it worth your time.

Thanks for that Grapesy.  Yikes, so they've actually got targets, then I don't think this is for me.  I was hoping to take more of a non-pushy aspect when it came to sales.  What would actually happen if you don't make target I wonder?  Would they just kick you out?

I understand that the TM is a great machine etc and I think it's worth paying the $2k to get it, but most people I've spoken to, I've just casually brought it up and explained what it does etc, then you tell them the price, and they're like 'forget it!'.

We'll see how it goes I guess.  Thanks for the info!

Offline grapesy83

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: April 14, 2012, 11:16:33 pm »
The targets are kind of in the fine print down the bottom of all the info Kent.  I did ask what would happen if you don't reach the suggested sales of 4 a month - would you be asked to leave and she said no of course not but they would be talking to you about your approach and educating/guiding you through where you could enhance your demo to get the sales. So at the end of the day it is about the sales and I guess the GL's have targets they need their team to reach aswell so if you're not pulling your weight within the team then you'd be spoken to about it.  Don't quote me on that because I'm not in your area so your GL might have a different perspective.

Offline sue_h

• View Profile
« Reply #125 on: April 16, 2012, 01:31:22 am »
I'm still a consultant after 12 months. I found it best to just put my requirements of what I need to be a consultant on the table with my group leader. I work part time and I volunteer at our school 1 day a week. My goal is one sale a month. I also attend all the team meetings and cooking classes that I can as these are also lots of fun. I still love using my Thermomix and showing it to people. There is really not much to loose if you already have a Thermomix. The business kit is things I would use personally. The 3 sales in 60 days is not mandatory. It just means you are on you're way to creating a successful business and its the Thermomix target. It's your business - you can set your targets.

In the end, the decision is yours. If you explain to your group leader what you have to offer and your uncertainty regarding targets, I'm sure she can put your mind at ease.
Sue from North Queensland

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: April 16, 2012, 02:28:41 am »
Glad it is working for you Sue, doing it your way is the only way to go as far as I am concerned.  These unrealistic goals they want you to reach are too stressful and cause a lot of consultants to fall by the wayside.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline kent

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: April 16, 2012, 03:03:02 am »
Thanks for the insight people :-)

I met my future group leaders yesterday and they were really lovely.

They explained that to make it 'worthwhile' you really need to do at least one demo a week and preferably two a week.

I explained that as I'm working full-time and have a young family, etc etc that I won't be able to commit every waking hour to do this, and that it would be more of a hobby, etc, they seemed to be fine with this.

I'm attending an open day in May, so we'll see how we go.  They gave me the leaflet that explains the commission structure, etc.  It's not bad commission, however, when you factor in delivery demonstrations, varoma demonstrations upon sale, etc... it turns into a very low hourly wage (depending on how many you sell obviously).

But as I said, it doesn't bother me, because for me it's more about making people aware of the wonderful machine, rather than trying to make coin out of it, but I understand that for others it would be more of trying to maintain a lifestyle and earn money, etc.

In any case, we'll see how it goes.

Offline Meagan

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: April 16, 2012, 03:28:10 am »
Glad it is working for you Sue, doing it your way is the only way to go as far as I am concerned.  These unrealistic goals they want you to reach are too stressful and cause a lot of consultants to fall by the wayside.

Judy as a consultant you set your own targets. The three sales in your 60days is really achievable (I did 12 in mine and that was a lot, over 2 years ago with not the same level of media coverage promtion and interest in the TM as now) as long as you do demos and sell machines ( which is generally what happens as sales follow demos) then you are fine. However if you aren't doing the demos or contributing to the team then you aren't really getting the most out of it. I enjoy learning new techniques and skills from the meetings and cooking classes.  there is room for full and part timers in Thermomix :)
Thermomix consultant in beautiful Perth,  Mum to 2 boys :)

Do you Fly with the flyLady?  www.flylady.net

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: April 16, 2012, 08:50:21 am »
That's what I would be doing if I was a consultant Meagan but that will never happen - way to old to start working and besides that I couldn't sell a paper bag to a pasty  ;D

Offline Meagan

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: April 16, 2012, 09:05:25 am »
You would be a fantastic consultant JD however I know it just doesn't fit with your role as a carer. You are a 'raving fan' and everyone benefits from people like you  :-* owners and consultants alike

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: April 16, 2012, 09:13:21 am »
Here here. :-*
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: April 16, 2012, 09:15:25 am »
Should we just go ahead and sign her up . . .now?? ;D ;D  JD  you should be on their payroll for what you do here!!

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: April 16, 2012, 10:08:59 am »
I have been thinking of this thread during the day and thought I'd come back to say that the members of this forum do so much to help sales of the TMX. How many people have bought because of what they have read on here from all us who are besotted with our machines and spread the word whenever we can.  Now I see that this is already acknowledged by Meagan and others - it's important to know our forum is working for you all, not just us owners. :-* :-*

Offline Meagan

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: April 16, 2012, 10:19:53 am »
I always promote the forum, recipe communiyt and blogs to new owners as a great resource!