Author Topic: Our pets with photos  (Read 562459 times)

Offline stef

• my favorite monkey in antwerp zoo
    • View Profile
    • our business
Re: Our pets with photos
« Reply #675 on: January 06, 2013, 07:32:16 pm »
Brrr. The only snakes i ike is behind glass lol
Live life to the fullest

Offline Aussie Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #676 on: January 06, 2013, 08:29:11 pm »
That snake looks headless , aren't they a protected species, along with crocodiles.

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: January 06, 2013, 09:38:28 pm »
Happy New Year to you, too, Stef.  Hope 2013 brings you all the happiness you could wish for.  A beautiful photo of one very beautiful dog!  He looks such a honey!

What a beautiful way to keep the ashes of your beloved pets!

Offline goldfish

• View Profile
« Reply #678 on: January 06, 2013, 10:24:03 pm »
I guess that's true as we are infringing on their habitat
Maybe we should expect it more often with the urban jungle?

Just read this . . . .(have copied and pasted - hope that's ok!) . . .  not quite sure about the "group hug" bit!! :o ??? :-)) . . . .

A MOTHER woke to find a 1.85m-long python wrapped around her two-year-old daughter yesterday morning.

Tess Guthrie, 22, from Lismore on the far north coast, was woken by her cat hissing at 3.30am and discovered the python wrapped three times around her daughter Zara's arm, who was sleeping in the bed with her.

At first she thought it was a dream but soon realised the horror and grabbed the snake by the head to pry it off her child, which caused the reptile to bite Zara three times on her left hand.

"After we went to the hospital and Tex came, they found the snake sort of down behind the bedside table and in-between the wall but I don't doubt he was there for days," she told the local TV station.

Zara was treated at Lismore Base Hospital and released yesterday morning.

Tex Tillis, from Tex's Snake Removals, who removed the reptile, said the coastal python, or carpet snake, wasn't trying to hurt the child.

"The snake, not in any way, shape or form, had intended to eat the baby - it was trying to have a group hug," he told The Daily Telegraph.

"Pythons, underneath their bottom jaw they have a row of sensors which enable them to see the world in terms of infrared pictures. So in the dark they're going to see a baby as this warm spot."

Ms Guthrie said she had noticed that her cat had been behaving out of character in the days leading up to the python's appearance.

"She's a very resourceful lady," Mr Tillis said. "She tried to grab its head but got six inches down which left the head to bite the baby.

"When you grab a snake, a snake in its reptilian brain thinks, 'anything that can grab me can also eat me'."

Mr Tillis estimates the python to be 5-10 years old: "by no means a big fella - they grow much, much bigger."

But Ms Guthrie insisted that the reptile not be killed and instead it was released back into the wild about 5km from the house.

Mr Tillis said: "Not only is she courageous and gutsy but she's compassionate."

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: January 06, 2013, 10:32:01 pm »
I guess you would act instinctively to protect your child and I'm glad it all worked out in the end.  Next time, if there is a next time, she will surely be guided by the cat's behaviour.  I imagine a dog would have just sat and barked at the snake until someone came to check out the din.  Scary story indeed GF.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: January 07, 2013, 01:20:41 am »
How frightening.  I am terrified of snakes. I don't care if they are protected or not. I can't even bear ( is this the correct bear/bare)? To look at them anywhere. I won't even touch a picture of one.

The dogs are beautiful. Harry is a sweetie Michele. I grew up with lots of dogs and cats so don't love them as much as birds or pigs!  Would love a pet pig, but it rather unrealistic.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline astarra

• View Profile
« Reply #681 on: January 07, 2013, 01:33:04 am »
That sent shivers down my spine...yuk! Not convinced on the group hug bit either!!  :-\
:D

Offline Delightful Den

• View Profile
« Reply #682 on: January 07, 2013, 02:22:16 am »
When we lived in Newman our next door neighbor found a python in the baby's cot one afternoon.  I can't member if the baby was in there with it.  They also found a King Brown in their garage and a dead Death Adder their dog had killed in the back yard.

We had a Banded Gwada and a King Brown in our car port.

Offline Mama Fergie

• View Profile
« Reply #683 on: January 07, 2013, 02:23:08 am »
Nor me Astarra  :-\

I don't get it  ???

I am worried about my GK's now that DS has found 2 dead baby tiger snakes in the pool.
My DIL thinks that perhaps birds have dropped them but I don't think so.
We didn't see any when we lived in that house.
I think they must be breeding around the garden somewhere.  :-*

Offline goldfish

• View Profile
« Reply #684 on: January 07, 2013, 02:28:43 am »
When we lived in Newman our next door neighbor found a python in the baby's cot one afternoon.  I can't member if the baby was in there with it.  They also found a King Brown in their garage and a dead Death Adder their dog had killed in the back yard.

We had a Banded Gwada and a King Brown in our car port.

I think I'd be moving to a high rise in some CBd somewhere DD... Lol .. I know you just learn to live with them and to be careful... But heck.... !!!! :(

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: January 07, 2013, 03:22:13 am »
When we lived in Broome ( over 35 years ago) we were always finding King Browns. I think the first snake my DH had to deal with was a king brown.

Off that topic. Does anyone know if cockatiels (weiros) can eat capsicum seeds. I know they are allowed the fruit, just not sure about the seeds. I am treating our bird with kid gloves at the moment. It is lovely to have him homes but he still isn't 100%. I'm spending lots of time with him, not that I mind.

mcmich

« Reply #686 on: January 07, 2013, 05:35:32 am »
Glad Weiro is home safe and sound Cookie.

I'm not overly scared of snakes and have killed a couple since living here. DH hates them - there aren't any snakes in NZ. I just hope Harry doesn't decide to take one on.

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
« Reply #687 on: January 09, 2013, 11:49:04 am »
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=405782596166332&set=a.405692419508683.94130.142915175786410&type=1&ref=nf

If your on Facebook please vote for Billy :). If not I know you would if you could anyway ;D.

Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: January 09, 2013, 11:51:50 am »
How could you not vote for that pretty face - I would if I could Mandi, sorry.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: January 09, 2013, 11:53:53 am »
He is beautiful. I will.

I did and so did DD.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 11:56:54 am by cookie1 »