Author Topic: Potato and Bacon Pie  (Read 8473 times)

Offline Depome

• View Profile
Potato and Bacon Pie
« on: January 07, 2010, 09:16:19 am »
Name of Recipe: Potato and Bacon Pie

Number of People: 2 adults + 2-3 children

Ingredients:
35g Parmesan
25g vegetable oil
350g trimmed bacon, diced into 2cm cubes
850g floury potatoes, peeled and diced into 2cm cubes (e.g. sebago, golden delight)
200g milk
40g butter
2 eggs
(optional grated cheddar cheese to top before baking)

Preparation:
Grate parmesan on speed 7 for 30 seconds, remove and set aside.
Heat oil in TMX at varoma temperature for 2 mins, then add diced bacon through the hole in the lid and cook for further 4 minutes on varoma temperature,  :-: + speed 1. Bacon will need pushing down with the spatula mid-way through cooking. Remove bacon into colander over a bowl to drain.
Add potatoes and milk to the bowl (NO SALT as bacon contains enough) and cook for 15 minutes at 100 degrees, speed 1.
Add butterfly, parmesan, butter and bacon, and mix on speed 3. Immediately add eggs one at a time through the hole in the lid. After 30 seconds of whipping, remove to an oiled oven dish. A 1.5 litre dish is ample. Sprinkle some grated cheddar cheese on top if you wish, and bake for 15 minutes at 180 degrees to melt the cheese and make a slight crust on top.

Serve with a salad :)

Photos:

Tips/Hints:
Empty as much of the mixture as you can from the TMX with the aid of the spatula, then remove the blades carefully (they will be quite warm, as is the TMX bowl) and put them aside while you scrape the rest of the bowl out. Then you can use the spatula to scrape the blades by holding on to the black base of them, and also flick pieces of bacon off the butterly. Half fill with hot soapy water immediately, and with the butterfly in place, put it on speed 3 for 3 minutes while you flatten down the pie, top it with cheese and get it in the oven. I'd rather wait for the pie to cook then have to deal with 'set' mashed potato on the blades!

members' comments

cathy79 - it was delicious.  Makes a lovely alternative to potato bake and much easier.  Served it with some tinned flavoured tuna and salad.  I think I'll use this recipe as the basis for mashed potato ie skip the bacon and don't bake in the oven.  Much quicker and easier than boiling potatoes in the basket and then whipping.  And very creamy with the two eggs,  great cooking the potato in the milk instead of throwing out the boiling water.

JD - This was great - a very different taste to normal potato bakes.  Got DH's approval.  Served it with BBQ'd T-bone steaks and salad. Thanks Depome.

Snoozie - Made this for lunch today and was a big hit. I only used 210g bacon and 20g unsalted butter. Next time I'm going to put some pureed vegies through it (carrot, zucchini, pumpkin etc) to try and get some vegies in at the same time!
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 12:26:08 pm by judydawn »

Offline Babymaker

• View Profile
Re: Potato and Bacon Pie
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 09:33:23 am »
On plan for next week, thank you :-*
Cooking is like love.  It should be entered into with abandon or not at all.  ~Harriet van Horne

Offline isi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 10:30:17 am »
This recipe seems to me a delight!
I will certainly try
Thanks for sharing

Offline Gralke

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010, 11:39:39 am »
I love these kind of pies!!!!
Barbara

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010, 12:17:52 pm »
Looks good. ;D
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2010, 11:41:54 pm »
looks great Depome - just a little trick for getting the potato off the blades - REMOVE THE BUTTERFLY FIRST then put lid back on and place in closed lid position  *: and hit turbo a couple of times.   Then the mash on the blades come off and you can scrape off the side of TM bowl.

But remember to take the butterfly out first.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2010, 10:38:29 pm »
Made this last night, it was delicious.  Makes a lovely alternative to potato bake and much easier.  Served it with some tinned flavoured tuna and salad.

And I think I'll use this recipe as the basis for mashed potato ie skip the bacon, and don't bake in the oven.  Much quicker and easier than boiling potatoes in the basket, and then whipping.  And very creamy with the two eggs, and great cooking the potato in the milk instead of throwing out the boiling water.
Helping you to take back control over what your family eats, one meal at a time.
Email thermomix.darlingdowns@gmail.com

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2010, 11:54:51 pm »
Thanks Cathy.  I was going through recipes last night looking for some things to do over the next few days when it is going to be 43o here in Adelaide and I pulled this one out - I'll cook it outside in the weber. Probably won't even have to turn the weber on  :D :D
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2010, 06:19:41 am »
This was great - a very different taste to normal potato bakes.  Got DH's approval.  Served it with BBQ'd T-bone steaks and salad.
Thanks Depome.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Depome

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2010, 12:41:32 pm »
Glad you both liked it.

Cathy, this way of cooking mashed potato is what is in my EDC, the second edition I believe. It's not my ingenuity! I was a bit sceptical, but it worked out fine. Was interesting to hear the difference in the blade speed as the potato was almost cooked and the milk had nearly gone. I wondered what was going on and went to have a look, then realised it was nearly ready :)

Offline Snoozie

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2011, 03:39:13 am »
Made this for lunch today and was a big hit. I only used 210g bacon and 20g unsalted butter. Next time I'm going to put some pureed veges through it (carrot, zucchini, pumpkin etc) to try and get some veges in at the same time!

Not much in the way of salad available so they're having 1/2 orange each instead lol