Author Topic: Have I got a story for you!  (Read 6975 times)

Offline leesmac78

• View Profile
Have I got a story for you!
« on: October 22, 2011, 06:09:59 pm »
Today darling Ed went to Washington DC for a conference.  I took him to the airport early and got ready for my short morning activity.  My mornings activity was to go to a regional home show here in my state, Hessen.  The reason for this visit was to watch my group leader do a German cooking presentation. Lovely.  I was a little bit excited  as anything to do with Themomix gets my heart racing ever so slightly and a warm feeling in my tummy.

I arrive at the show just a few moments before the show commenced and wandered around the people selling new stairs, windows, heating, knives and window cleaners that we can all live without.  I found Petra, my group leader and the Thermomix stand.

Before I stumbled out a hello I was in a bright pink apron handing out pamphlets and preparing the demonstration.

One minute later the demonstration was on.  There were 12 people, who had never used a Thermomix before standing before me and a few other demonstrators and we had to teach, in German, these newbies how to make Tuna dip, Zuccini cream soup, gnocchi, steamed fish and potatoes and zablione. 

I received these recipes by email but hadn't read them.  And then I was supposed to guide these newbies through the wonders of Thermomix in German in recipes that I had never cooked and could barely read.  Ahhhhhhhhh!

Talk about a Thermochallenge!

We cooked and laughed.  And then we served this all up at an ajacent table where we dined together - delightful. 

After that was clean up and then I was handing out brochures talking to people in my appalling German all about the benefits of owning a Thermomix.  When the questions got too curly for me, I grabbed another demonstrator to complete the conversation.  Then I half started another, got rescued and so the day continued.

I planned a quick hello and goodbye and a visit to the supermarket.  But four hours later I was still there.

I was dreaming of being at a home show in Australia or even London, where I could sell a Thermomix to literally anyone. But no, I was selling something I hardly knew any of the vocab for in a language I can barely speak.   People seemed impressed enough.  I didn't make any arty bookings because being one on one with any of these people scared the life out of me and I happily referred their business to others. I mean I only have to sell five to get my 2nd machine.

What a day.  I am sitting quietly at home with a glass of wine breathing a sigh of relief that I survived the day.  My group leader asked me if I could come again tomorrow.  I think not.  I am proud of my efforts today and don't want to push my luck.

Xxx

;D

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Have I got a story for you!
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2011, 06:38:57 pm »
What a great day you had Lee,very challenging but I bet you were loved by everyone you meet  :D :D :D
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2011, 12:11:35 am »
Oh Lee, what an experience - they certainly saw you coming  :D :D  Did you get a photo taken of you in your pink apron - so cute.  It is generally the case that consultants are there to help so perhaps you missed the whole concept of these public events - was it relayed to you in German or English.  If in German, it is time for you to take some lessons or you'll never know what you are letting yourself in for :D What a great story to tell Ed - bet he had a laugh.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2011, 12:18:44 am »
Lee, it sounded like a great day had by all.

Relax today.

Robyn ;D
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline maddy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2011, 12:43:32 am »
So much for a quick look hey Lee  :P
Don't sell yourself short......even in broken German, your enthusiasm and charisma will sell those machines.....keep those customers for you, and get your GL to help with translation........you want that vacant spot filled with another TM don't you?  ;)
.........EAT CAKE!

Offline Merrilyn

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2011, 12:45:49 am »
Well done Lee.  What a story to tell Ed!
Never ask a 2 year old to hold a tomato  :-)

Offline Bedlam

• Denise - Mandurah WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2011, 02:04:04 am »
Well done Lee, I can really imagine it.having recently attended the  cooking class in France where no one spoke much English other than the chef and wevspoke no French. I know we didn't have to sell anything, but it was interesting enjoying our 3 course meal attempting conversation. It did make it perfect for us though, really interacting with "the locals. The chef didn't eat with us so we were on our own and just like going anywhere everyone likes to compare our way of life.
You like to jump feet first into everything, I think Lee. Good on you.
Denise

Offline Lellyj

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2011, 03:27:32 am »
Well done, you!  SOunds like you did good and had fun.
Teacher and Mum in Phillip Island, Victoria

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2011, 06:10:40 am »
Bet you were glad to get home and put your feet up. I would of lost the plot and ran away and hid. Sounds like you done a great job under the circumstances. Each time you do something like this you will become more and more confidant.
Well done Lee.
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

Offline Carine

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2011, 06:20:23 am »
Lee you're a star!  Advertising anything is hard enough in your first language but it sounds like you did extremely well with rudimentary German!  Have another glass  :)
Franco-Australian living in Tamworth (NSW, Australia)

Offline johnro

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2011, 09:03:32 am »
Lee I am sure that you would have no problem selling ice to eskimoes with the added comment being I had no idea that ice could be used for.............
Robyn from Rockhampton, Qld  :)

I used to have a handle on life, then it broke.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2011, 09:10:54 am »
Well done Lee. you have had fun and obviously enjoyed what could have been a 'tricky' situation. You have excelled yourself. Your love of the TMX would have shone through.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline salval

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2011, 10:44:32 am »
Good for you Lee! Sounds like you rose to the challenge like a champ :)

The next one'll be easier ;)

Karen
Mum of 3 (2 x 2-legged & 1 x 4-legged)
TMX Consultant in Newport, Melbourne

Offline tarasis

• Stay at home dad with a Thermomix & 2 kids :)
    • View Profile
    • Tarasis.net
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2011, 08:49:49 pm »
Well done mate, I suspect you did way better than I would have with my scraggy German. Lacking the situation specific vocab is often the problem :)

Sounds fun though, I admit if we still lived in the UK I'd be mildly tempted to try and become a TMX demonstrator; but in Germany there is not a chance in hell :)
Rob from Buchholz i.d.N, Klecken, Hamburg, formerly (England) Burgess Hill, Goring By Sea, Brighton, (Northern Ireland) Bangor and Newtownards.

http://tarasis.net

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2011, 10:34:49 pm »
well done lee...that would have taken alot of courage  ;D  I know because when I first came over and i mean only a couple of days after arriving here, my darling DH without my knowledge signed me up to teach english to the kids at the local college, only problem being that I didnt speak a word of French and they not a word of english and I had to go to the school by myself  and mime my way around lol and then teach a class of foreign kids who had no idea what i was saying...incredibly nerve racking and at the time I could of killed DH but he did it for my own good...;it forced me to integrate and get over my fears and also be very motivated to learn the language.  It takes alot of guts to do anything in a foreign language when you are on your own in a field of foreigners so enjoy that drink!! haha  You deserve it!

JD had some great advice though...learn as much german as you can as quickly as you can as it does make life so much easier and makes you understand people alot better rather than get scared or paranoid around people...im sure you understand what Im saying... ;)
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/