Author Topic: Advice for a newby  (Read 6999 times)

Offline Jbasha

• View Profile
Advice for a newby
« on: October 11, 2011, 11:23:38 pm »
Hello All,

My name is Justine and I am getting my thermomix on Friday, hooray!

I live in Canberra have a 2 young boys and can't wait to start making delicious things to eat, to be honest its a little overwhelming, where to start??

I have some friends coming for dinner on Saturday and want to cook something delicious in my new baby!  something with chicken, don't think I am up to steamer yet, if anyone could suggest some tried and tasty FOOLPROOF Chicken recipes I would really appreciate it!

Thanks in advance!

Justine

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
Re: Advice for a newby
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2011, 11:38:32 pm »
hi and welcome some one will come along any min to point you in the right  direction ;D

pop over to the welcome page and say hi there 2
i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline Jbasha

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2011, 11:39:38 pm »
Great, I am happy to take any advice... I have only seen thermomix once in action at my demo!

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2011, 11:43:29 pm »
my bad ;D you are on the right page sorry  :-[
i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2011, 12:08:22 am »
Hi Justine, welcome to the forum.  You are not going to have much time to practise with your guests coming the day after delivery. Here are a few of my favourites (in no particular order) - my chicken file is thicker than any other as it is our favourite.  If the recipe calls for thighs, please use them as breast meat can dry out too much - just spend the time well beforehand defatting them so that you are ready to go with them later.
You might like to check out CP's favourite list of recipes further down the track.

Tasty Chicken with Turmeric rice
Peanut chicken
Spiced Chicken & Sweet Potato - the chicken is cooked in the varoma as the sauce cooks below, very simple.
Chicken Kiev- made using the TMX but baked in the oven which means you can be steaming some vegies in the TMX whilst it is cooking.
Chicken & Leek filo pie- my guests were very impressed with this one and took the recipe home to do it without a TMX.
Butter Chicken with Tikka Paste - this winning recipe is from the Indian Cookbook.  You can make the paste in advance and freeze it in 100g portions for later, perhaps 1/2 the recipe to start with. It is far superior to the one in the EDC which came with your machine.
Chicken in Yoghurt
Nico's Thai Chilli Chicken - another favourite of my visitors
Honey Mustard Chicken - last but not least, it is delicious.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2011, 12:57:04 am »
Hi Justine and welcome, good to have you join us.

One chicken dish that consistently gets good feedback and is quick and easy is Quirky Jo's Chicken Satay - although it uses the varoma, QJ's instructions are easy to follow and I think it is impossible to go wrong with this meal - also, everything is cooked at the one time - rice, chicken, veges and sauce so you don't have several pots on the go in addition to your new TMX so you can concentrate on other things.  Good luck and have a great night with your friends.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2011, 07:09:22 am »
Welcome Justine. You have had lots of lovely recipes suggested to you. Hope the dinner goes well.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2011, 07:47:51 pm »
Hi and welcome to the forum Justine.Enjoy your dinner with your friends on Saturday with your TM doing the hard work ;D
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline Bedlam

• Denise - Mandurah WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2011, 01:32:18 am »
Welcome Justine,
You have heaps of suggestions for your party, another time if you enjoy chicken check out chookies KFC all my family rave about it. You need to make a spice mix up (once you have it made it makes about 4 lots of the chicken).
Denise

Offline Jbasha

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2011, 10:04:13 am »
Thanks for advice and welcome. Got it today and made risotto and rice pudding. Love it!!!

Offline leesmac78

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2011, 08:50:53 pm »
Isn't risotto just the greatest and the easiest thing to make ever nowadays? What did you put in it?

Xxx

;D

Offline cecilia

• Renew. Refresh. Rejoice.
    • View Profile
    • Thermorevolution
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2011, 01:48:15 am »
Welcome!  Congratulations on your baby too.  And your Thermomix baby.  :)
"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." — Dalai Lama

https://www.facebook.com/thermorevolution

Offline salval

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2011, 03:51:31 am »
Welcome Justine,

How did your dinner party go? What did you make???

Cheers,
Karen
Mum of 3 (2 x 2-legged & 1 x 4-legged)
TMX Consultant in Newport, Melbourne

Offline Jbasha

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2011, 06:00:28 am »
Dinner cancelled happily rescheduled for this weekend. I made chicken cacciatore risotto from this website, delicious !! Even my fussy kids ate iit. Made rice pudding aswell. Tonight I am going to try the chicken with chilli and basil. Tried  whipping egg whites as per cook book edc that came with it... Disaster, had to go back to trusty kitchen aid or that one. Would love to hear everyone's favorite recipes, I am not a seafood fan but eat everything else. I have booked my varoma demo, varoma seems daunting at this point.

Does everyone wash there bimby with detergent? would love to hear maintenance routines.

Everyone so friendly it's a great forum.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2011, 09:52:15 am »
Jbasha, I cover the blades with warmish water, add a few drops of dishwashing liquid and just blitz it for a few seconds on speed 6 or 7 or whatever I feel like  ;)  It pays to do it as soon as you have removed the food, don't let the residue of a meal go hard - at least fill it with water if you can't clean it immediately.

Some of my favourite recipes are on CP's favourite list.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.