Author Topic: Is anyone watching Masterchef?  (Read 12666 times)

Offline mab19

• View Profile
Re: Is anyone watching Masterchef?
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2012, 03:03:21 am »
No, we are not watching it.  DH is not keen on these shows and I don't like that they it is on nearly every night.
The  man who said it can't be done should not interupt the woman doing it.

Offline jkmt

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2012, 01:37:38 pm »
Love the fact that occasionally a TM comes up on Masterchef- ie TM spotting!

Actually, Masterchef was where I first saw a Thermomix, so it has been an expensive show for me! I'm very glad I saw it though.
Jenny, Central Coast NSW

I'd rather cook than clean!

Offline Bubbles

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2012, 03:14:32 pm »
Love the fact that occasionally a TM comes up on Masterchef- ie TM spotting!

Actually, Masterchef was where I first saw a Thermomix, so it has been an expensive show for me! I'm very glad I saw it though.

Oh really? I have never spotted a TM on Masterchef, but keep thinking if I"m ever watching it that they so NEED one on that show!

Offline Merlin

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2012, 04:12:05 pm »
They had quite a few TMs particularly in the first and also second series.
"There are two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as if everything is"
Albert Einstein

Offline JuliaBalbilla

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2012, 06:58:02 pm »
The first time I spotted a TM on television here was in an Aussie programme (either Masterchef or Come Dine With Me??).  They are now using them a lot in Great British Menu (where professional chefs compete to cook for special events - this year for Olympians), which is great, but never seen in the UK versions of Masterchef / Come Dine With Me.  Here, I think that currently they are regarded as being an professional kitchen item because of this  :(

JB
Rosemary from Bournemouth formerly Gloucestershire

Offline Merlin

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2012, 07:10:50 pm »
I have been watching the UK master chef on pay TV and haven't seen TMs either. I think it's a shame that they aren't widely publicised as TMs are perfect for flats and apartments/ small kitchens- they would definitely be approved by Jamie Oliver with his eating healthy food movement/ cook your own food policies. Having lived in and visiting the UK I can't remember anyone I knew having a TM and most of them were relying on takeaways and eating out due to the small size of their kitchens and they were bemoaning how hard it was to cook properly in them. Personally, I think a lot of my friends were lazy eg  it doesn't take much to boil water or make an omelette!!! Also, I was a student at the time so the flats I stayed in probably arent representative of the rest of the country!!
"There are two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as if everything is"
Albert Einstein

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2012, 08:50:34 pm »
i did last night for about 15mins . george calombaris made Pommes dauphine shoe pastry mixed with mashed potato then you deep fried them .

i have never seen or heard of Pommes dauphine  b4

will be trying these soon  ;D

« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 02:27:56 am by fundj »
i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline Twitterpated

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2012, 02:15:24 am »
Haven't seen the first few episodes as we just flew back in from a holiday in Fiji. Watched some of the show last night but fell asleep (had been up since 2.30am travelling home). I will watch it from now on as I can't help myself when it comes to cooking shows.

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2012, 02:21:07 am »
Uni they are delish.

Never made them

H ;)
Mum to Crown Prince......

mcmich

« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2012, 04:40:38 am »
I love Masterchef. I usually record it and then I can fast forward through the adds.
And of course I'm cheering for Andy our Local Newcastle Lad.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2012, 04:42:53 am »
I enjoy Masterchef but haven't seen any shows this year. I usually get into watching it when there are a few less contestants. I enjoy the Friday night Master class.

My DH also hates reality shows and I must agree I don't like most of them. Sorry CP I really don't like MKR.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2012, 05:46:53 am »

That is when George and Grace had a contract no doubt. She doesn't need him any more. Most professional chefs kitchens would have All the gadgets  including the Thermomix and HotmixPro. Perhaps we will see the Hotmix Pro next. That I would like to see in action. A bit too sophisticated perhaps for the show ... or not! 

For MC there is no point in allowing them to use a Thermomix if they do not know the basic elements of cooking which some of them clearly do not.

Would  we be making a carrot purée by mashing it through a sieve three times? I think not. Aren't we lucky?

Gert

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline Bubbles

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2012, 06:08:18 am »
Was it mainly in the masterclasses or were the contestants allowed to use the TMX?

Offline kezza

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2012, 09:48:27 am »
I've watched every season, but for some reason I just don't have as much interest this year.  I will start watching when they whittle down the contestants.  Probably will start taping the show so I don't have to watch all the adds.  I did like watching MKR though, but there were too many ad breaks on that too.

Offline JuliaBalbilla

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2012, 10:18:28 am »
I have been watching the UK master chef on pay TV and haven't seen TMs either.  Having lived in and visiting the UK I can't remember anyone I knew having a TM and most of them were relying on takeaways and eating out due to the small size of their kitchens

Sadly, a lot of kitchens here are very small indeed, especially in newish properties and I agree, we do tend to be a nation of takeaway eaters  :-[ However, I feel that a TM would be a indispensable in a small kitchen.

A bit of good news though.  As I type, I am watching Saturday Kitchen (James Martin) and for the first time ever on this programme, James used a TM to make a pea puréé.  He didn't say what it was, except that it was a 'noisy machine'.  It did sound noisy, but he was using a high speed.  Makes a pleasant change from seeing Kitchen Aids everywhere  ;D

JB
Rosemary from Bournemouth formerly Gloucestershire