Author Topic: Dinner Party Hits?  (Read 21716 times)

Offline Halex

• View Profile
Re: Dinner Party Hits?
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2012, 11:49:04 pm »
If you have the indian cookbook, you could do the butter chicken & another curry. You can make them the day before. Naan bread & rice on the day.

H :)
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2012, 06:11:50 am »
A nice soup with homemade bread, perhaps a curry that can be made the day before or pies and something delicious and fattening for sweets. Something like a pannacotta could be made the day before as could coulis to put over it.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Lellyj

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2012, 08:34:43 am »
I have served Chelsea's seafood risotto to "company", also have had a lot of success with curry dinners, if you have the Indian cookbook.  Can make these well ahead and a bit of naan bread too always look impressive.

I have had a lot of success with Nico's arancini for fingerfood, from the entertaining with Nico leaflet, too, but wouldn't serve that with risotto--kind of a rice overkill!
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 08:36:24 am by Lellyj »
Teacher and Mum in Phillip Island, Victoria

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2012, 09:07:09 am »
I have served Chelsea's seafood risotto to "company", also have had a lot of success with curry dinners, if you have the Indian cookbook.  Can make these well ahead and a bit of naan bread too always look impressive.

I have had a lot of success with Nico's arancini for fingerfood, from the entertaining with Nico leaflet, too, but wouldn't serve that with risotto--kind of a rice overkill!

Then rice pudding for dessert. :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Rogizoja

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2012, 10:12:27 am »
Steam salmon in the varoma with new potatoes in the basket and snow peas above and serve with citrussy hollandaise.  Follow with creme brulee - winner every time.
If music be the food of love, play a tune on your Thermomix for your loved ones.

Offline snappy

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2012, 12:05:57 pm »
Wow, some great ideas on here. I do like the curry ideas, but one thing I didn't mention is I am not a seafood eater!  I can't believe how many seafood recipes there are!

I think I will go with a curry, basmati rice and naan breads.  Tasty and easy to prepare.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions

Offline Lellyj

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2012, 12:12:16 pm »
Snappy, it's not sorbet weather here in Victoria, but I often serve sorbet after an Indian meal, with cardamom biscuits, as desert.

Offline snappy

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2012, 12:19:20 pm »
I was just thinking that my steamed golden syrup puddings wouldn't be the best match for Indian!

Offline Lellyj

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2012, 12:22:02 pm »
I think goden syrup puddings would be fantastic after ANY meal! Yum, I love that type of comfort food.

Offline Twitterpated

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2012, 12:14:04 am »
Having friends for lunch today and was planning on the garlic prawn risotto but just found out that neither are that fussed on seafood. I think that a risotto would still be the best idea but was looking for a bit of a "stand out" recipe. Any suggestions for a good risotto recipe for entertaining?

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2012, 01:30:56 pm »
Sorry no-one got back to you on this one today Twitterpated, what did you end up doing?  My favourite is always with prawns so that would be my number 1 choice and, like you, I also have friends who do not eat seafood.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

mcmich

« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2012, 10:10:17 pm »
What sort of risotto did you end up making twitterpatted?

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2012, 11:38:33 pm »
Is the recipe for Nico's arancini on the forum or someone able to PM it to me? Arancini is one our favourite nibbly food.

Offline Twitterpated

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2012, 12:07:05 am »
I ended up making Faffa's Roasted Pumpkin and Fetta Risotto. Well I wanted a stand-out recipe and this is definitely it. I roasted the pumpkin with some sprigs of rosemary and added some pre-cooked diced chicken and pine nuts as well. It was delicious served with garlic bread and freshly made lemonade. Will definitely make again and will add to my list of dinner party recipes.

mcmich

« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2012, 12:13:03 am »
Sounds very tasty twitterpatted.
Wonder there is a thread to Nico's arancini and I have feeling CP has the recipe and
Fundj makes her mum's recipe which would be worth a go.