Author Topic: Something is wrong with my TM!  (Read 10434 times)

Offline Kath

• View Profile
Something is wrong with my TM!
« on: July 12, 2011, 04:42:37 am »
I just went to make some Cydni O'Meara CADA - had a small amount of almonds, coconut and dates plus one small apple chopped into eights in the bowl.

I pressed pulse and instead of the blade spinning the machine made a whining sound and the blade did not spin, and after a second or two smoke was coming up out of the bowl.

:o

Should I contact head office? I don't have a consultant anymore and I think my machine is just out of warranty. Has anyone else had this happen?

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
Re: Something is wrong with my TM!
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2011, 05:12:39 am »
Kath have you overloaded the machine lately whilst doing something eg. making mince, washing powder ie. putting in too much and whizzing?

I had this happen to me, without the smoke - but I did have a burning smell, and the blades wouldn't turn. It was a worn out thread on the blades, and had to get new blades.
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline Kath

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2011, 05:29:49 am »
CP, I don't think I have done anything out of the ordinary in the TM lately. Your suggestion about the blades is a possibility though, don't they need replacing every couple of years?

How did you check the blades - what did you see that told you they needed replacing?

Thanks for your help. I had such a big TM day planned - CADA, steaming and pureeing veggies for the freezer, playdough, mashed potato and swedes and icecream tonight.  :(

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2011, 06:05:02 am »
Kath that is horrid. Hopefully you can get it fixed quite soon.

I don't know about the blades needing replacing every couple of years, I hope not. Possibly a consultant can help us.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Kath

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2011, 06:09:08 am »
I just took everything apart and gave it all a good clean and dry (I don't mean the actual motor part, just the bowl, lid, etc) and it seems to be working okay now. I just steamed and pureed some cauliflour and its working fine. I examined the blades and can't see anything out of the ordinary with them.

I still don't feel go about it though.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2011, 06:10:26 am »
Give HO a call. I think they have a 1800 number.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Meagan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2011, 06:41:05 am »
Kath I would call HO anyway. Where are you in OZ? They will be able to put you in touch with a consultant who will adopt you close by otherwise I am happy to adopt you ;) I just can't physically service you if you aren't in WA in terms of demos etc. 

I have never heard of smoke before  :o.
Thermomix consultant in beautiful Perth,  Mum to 2 boys :)

Do you Fly with the flyLady?  www.flylady.net

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2011, 06:54:15 am »
I hate reading posts about TM problems. It makes me worry that this could happen to me. I would hate to send it away and be without it for a few days or weeks.
Hope your problem is nothing serious Kath :-[
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

Offline Nay-nay

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2011, 06:58:28 am »
Just wondering if a date seed got caught?? But yes this does happen when blades are stripped. You'll notice this when you have to mill or mince something - you don't have the heat on but it gets hot from trying to spin hence the steam. New blades are $135 +post.  :-\

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2011, 07:04:35 am »
I hate reading posts about TM problems. It makes me worry that this could happen to me. I would hate to send it away and be without it for a few days or weeks.
Hope your problem is nothing serious Kath :-[
Same here dede!!

If it's just new blades, at least you can use it for less strenuous jobs while awaiting them.
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2011, 07:05:10 am »
Your suggestion about the blades is a possibility though, don't they need replacing every couple of years?

How did you check the blades - what did you see that told you they needed replacing?

I don't know anything about the life of the blades, but I think I had been making laundry powder and it was too heavy (thats why I now recommend doing a half batch). A couple of days later I  went to make mince and struck the problem. Sometimes the blades would spin and then they wouldn't. I tried sharpening the blades with ice, and even though the mince was semi frozen (and less than the recommended maximum) it just wasn't working. I had to contact my consultant who came around and had a look and then took it off to HO.

Offline em

• Me and my little spiderman!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2011, 12:00:04 pm »
i had a problem with my blades, thinking back now i think i overloaded the tm making a scroll dough.  the blades werent working but the actual blade unit was sooo hot i burnt my finger on it ( that is without the heat being turned on at all).  i rang ho and they said it sounded like the blades were stripped, they sent a new set and it was all back working within a couple of days.
annoying though, it happened to me on a friday! i had a whole weekend of cooking planned lol.  definantly ring ho asap and i hope you are back in business soon.
Emma from Victoria

Offline Kath

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2011, 02:20:47 am »
Em, yes, my blades went really hot, too. I am going to call HO now, so frustrating that it is just out of warranty.  >:(

Offline Kath

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2011, 02:31:22 am »
Thanks so much for all your replies everyone. This is such a helpful community!

I agree from the comments here and talking to Jo (I think?) in the head office that it sounds like the problem is my blades. She said the blades should not spin independently from the black part on the bottom, and mine definitely do! So I ordered some more.

New blades are $135 +post. 

She charged me $150. I also got a new seal for $20 and postage was $9.50. Ouch. But I seriously can't go without it. I think we're going to have to go my parents' house for dinner tonight.  ;)

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2011, 04:57:34 am »
yes I'm with you Kath on the cost. Since it happened I just can't throw my old blades out, and they are still sitting on the kitchen bench. I keep thinking I will keep them for back up, but I haven't even tried them to see if they are still working for little things :-))