Author Topic: Butter bells  (Read 5424 times)

Offline Yvette

• View Profile
Butter bells
« on: October 26, 2013, 09:49:16 pm »
Does anyone have a butter bell and are they happy with them?  Any links would be appreciated. I am thinking of buying one.

Offline Emme

• View Profile
Re: Butter bells
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2013, 10:02:55 pm »
Yvette, I have two of them,  I have the antique ones in cream and blue.  They don't hold a lot of butter and it needs to be soft to push into the bell part.  1/3 cup water is then put in the bottom of the other part and that has to be changed every couple of days.  There are only two of us so it works ok but if you had a large family you would be constantly refilling it or need more than one.  As the one we are using gets low in butter I fill up the other one.  I have not had them in use over summer so will have to see how they go this summer but I am pleased with the ones I have.  Hope this helps
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 10:11:01 pm by Emme »

Offline Emme

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2013, 10:10:22 pm »
Cannot find the place I purchased mine from but this is a link that has some.  I will keep looking although this one looks a bit bigger than the ones I have.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2013, 11:49:25 pm »
I don't know if Faffa still has her contact but here's an earlier thread about butter bells.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2013, 01:25:39 am »
I don't know if she still has any, I can find out (in the end though with postage etc I think it was just as cheap to purchase from Amazon!!). I love mine and with all of us I just use two and have one ready to go as the other nearly empties. In the summer on the stinking hot days you can't leave it on the bench, but I find putting it in the fridge it is insulated enough that it is still spreadable to use from the butter bell :)
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2013, 03:38:20 am »
 Thanks Kathryn. I was wondering if they would melt in the middle of summer.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Yvette

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2013, 03:39:18 am »
Thanks ladies for your help. Faffa if you could find out that would be great thanks. I would only want one though.

Offline blackwood

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2013, 12:42:52 pm »
Yvette, I'm not sure if you are in Melbourne, but I am in a co-op here in Melbourne and the woman that runs it was talking about getting some in stock. Would you like her contact details?

Offline Yvette

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2013, 07:50:06 pm »
Blackwood I am in Sydney thanks anyway the lovely Karen is sending me one  :)

Offline JE1202me

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2013, 06:53:59 am »
I have had one for about a year.  I even took it camping at NSW South coast for NYE hols. Only if it is in direct sun or temp over 35 was it a problem.  I have also started freezing batches in advance - I buy 1 kg butter blocks from Costco, whilst the bell is empty I line with cling and fill.  I cover and freeze the little portions. I found that I always had butter too hard just when I needed to refill.
Love it, just got to be consistent in warm weather to make sure the water is fresh and cool.  I got mine from a mail order lady in Western NSW.

stacelee

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2013, 10:02:09 am »
I got my butterbell from Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Norpro-291-Butter-Keeper-Porcelain/dp/B000A1APL8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1383127149&sr=8-2&keywords=butterbell . Its been good....when I remember to use it :)  I don't tend to eat a lot of butter and neither do the kids so I have a bad habit of forgetting in summer to refresh the water....when I remember, It is great.

Offline blackwood

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2013, 11:01:01 am »
Not a worry Yvette! Glad you sourced one...you're a gem Karen! :)