Author Topic: What am I doing wrong??  (Read 5435 times)

Offline sdm197

• View Profile
What am I doing wrong??
« on: November 02, 2013, 12:33:51 am »
Hi Everyone  :),

I am new here so go easy with me! I have had my TM31 since May, I live in the UK. I really love the machine and use it nearly everyday!

However I have had problems with some things:

1. On the Varoma lid where each ventilation slot is there is a crack in the plastic on each one that runs down from the slot to the edge, I have used the Varoma about 4 or 5 times is this normal? At first I thought it was part of the design, then when I looked closer I saw that they appear to be cracks.

2.   When cooking things that require longer cooking times such as an hour for Curries, or Risottos I have noticed that the base of the jug gets burn or scorch marks on it. They can be removed by using Bar Keepers Friend with a scourer, but again is this normal?

3.   Finally although I follow the instructions perfectly for steaming Basmati rice in both the Thermomix Fast & Easy cookbook and the Fast and Easy Indian Cookbook it always comes out a very wet glutinous mess! It also tends to bubble up at the top so instead of using speed 2 ½ I always have to use speed 4 which does reduce the issue. I have also tried taking the volume of water down from 1l to 500ml but it still happens. Plus I have thoroughly washed the Basmati rice in many changes of water, until the water runs clean.

It may be because I only do 50G of rice at a time, but I first wash the rice very well, then 5secs/speed5, then 20 mins/varoma/speed 4, tried 2 1/2 but it always bubbles up onto the TM lid, so always use Speed 4.

thanks in advance for any replies,

SDM197.

Offline Brumington

• View Profile
Re: What am I doing wrong??
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2013, 02:30:16 am »
According to my EDC edition (ring bound) rice must be cooked on speed 4. I've never had a problem on varoma/speed 4/14 mins 400g rice in basket 900g water in TMX. This is way more than we need for one meal but I portion and freeze leftovers. Once cooked I place in bigger bowl and fluff with a couple of forks.

Not sure about the cracks??? Doesn't sound right to me though. Hope you get it sorted.

😊

Offline Itsnotartitsdinner

• View Profile
Re:
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2013, 06:46:45 am »
Not sure about the others but the measuring cup and varoma lid did have a plastic production issue. Mine is only two months old but both have been replaced FOC.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2013, 08:48:46 am »
sdm197 the cracks in the varoma sound very wrong. I would contact your consultant about that.
I have found that some things catch on the base of my bowl. A good idea is to make sure the food is moving around. You may have to increase the speed  from the recipe but this should help you.
I cook my rice the same as Brumington.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2013, 09:06:55 am »
hi and welcome to the forum 197

i use this method to cook my rice http://www.forumthermomix.com/index.php?topic=9059.60 or in the PC, only 6 mins and its ready to eat

contact your consultant about the cracks

and like cookie said increase the speed, i learnt the hard way, i was asking for help every 2nd day  ;D
i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline kmw

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2013, 09:13:06 am »
Hi sdm197

Your post has prompted me to contact my consultant, we got our TMs about the same time and I have already had 1 MC replaced and notice the same issue with my varoma lid.  Also the replacement MC is starting to splinter.  Both issues not affecting any cooking but very annoying.

Rice I'm the same I use varoma temp/speed 4 and freeze the left overs.  I have also been given the tip to increase the speed if food get burnt to the bottom.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2013, 09:20:42 am »
Telephone UK Thermomix HO and talk to them about your problems sdm197.Telephone number 01344 622 344. Your varoma shouldn't be cracking so there must be a fault with it. They are a very friendly bunch of people there and I'm sure they will help you :)
BTW welcome to the forum from a UK member of the forum ;D
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline kmw

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2013, 11:07:17 am »
I have a response back from my consultant and she said they have change the plastic that the lid & MC is made out of and are still having problems.  She is putting in a report tonight and ordering me new MC & lid, so I'm sure your consultant can do the same.

Offline sdm197

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2013, 10:41:59 am »
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all your replies, I will contact TMUK about the Varoma.

I think the burning issue is when a piece of chicken or meat, or some Aborio rice for Risottos gets trapped under the lower blade. Maybe I should manually give the bowl a good old stir occasionally, I just normally walk away and let it do its thing! I always worry about increasing the speed as I do quite a few curries and risottos and what happens is you lose the chunks of meat and end up with just strands. Of course it is all perfectly edible, just does not look as nice.

The rice issue I will try your tips, because going by the book for just 50g of rice it gets waterlogged, and nowhere near as nicely cooked as in a rice cooker, even though you always lose some of the rice as it gets stuck to the bottom of the rice cooker.

I really appreciate all your comments, thanks again, I will go away and try again.

SDM197.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2013, 11:12:51 am »
Keep an eye on your thermomix sdm197 to make sure it is always turning. I know of someone who cooked their risotto on too low a speed and the rice became stuck and the blades stopped, causing lots of problems.
Do you cook your meat etc on  :-:?

Offline sdm197

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2013, 11:25:25 am »
Hi,

I always use reverse to try and keep the meat intact, I think I have actually heard my TM stop when making Risotto, it kind of stops for a second then rushes back into life. This happens when the rice is hard, when it has softened it is less of an issue. That could be when the jug gets burnt though. I think maybe I should increase the speed on some of the recipes, I use recipes mainly from here, the Fast & Easy Cookbook (UK) Fast & Easy Indian Cookbook, plus I have bought the two Australian ones EDC, one older and the latest version.

thanks for the tip though,

SDM197.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2013, 05:13:48 am »
Good luck.