Author Topic: Family Chowder - With photos  (Read 43063 times)

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
Family Chowder - With photos
« on: October 14, 2009, 06:42:53 am »
FAMILY CHOWDER

I would say 6-8 serves, practically filled the TM bowl

Ingredients:
1 tblsp oil   
3 rashers bacon, chopped
1 onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, crushed

1 stalk celery, roughly chopped
1 carrot,roughly cut
1 potato, cubed
1 cup chopped sweet potato, small cubes
2 cups hot water combined with 2 tblsp of veg stock conc (I don't add salt when making stock conc, as I freeze in icecube trays in 1 tblsp amounts, therefore not needing the salt to 'keep')   
440g can creamed corn
2 tblsp plain flour
1 ½ cups milk
seasonings to taste (I only used freshly cracked black pepper, no salt)
grated parm cheese (I didn’t use)

Preparation:
In a frypan heat oil and add bacon, onion and garlic.  Cook until tender.  Put to one side.(Please see tips below)

Place rest of veg (except corn) into TM bowl and chop for 2 secs/speed 6.

Add hot stock, onion, bacon & garlic mixture  and cook  100°C/30 mins/speed 1.  MC lid off. If you find the soup spitting through the opening, put the cup on an angle.
Add corn and combine 10 secs/speed 1.

Combine the flour and milk in a jug.  
Set TM to 100°C/5 mins/speed 1.5.  Add the flour and milk mixture thru opening in lid while blades are running.  Check for seasoning.

Photos:

Tips/Hints:

I tried by firstly sauteing the chopped onion, garlic and bacon in the TM on varoma temp for 15 mins, but found the onion and bacon to be still smelling and looking raw, and there was quite a biit of liquid.  So I emptied the mix into a sieve and allowed the liquid to drain off.  Heated a non-stick frypan and quickly fried off in the dry pan until golden and cooked.  I then followed on with the recipe.  
Of course if you prefer you could do this all in the TM, but for me I like my onion, garlic & bacon cooked until golden and I just can't get this in the bowl.  :)

Really liked this, the corn added a nice sweetness and the veg still had a bit of texture, wasn't completely mushy.

This went really well with the Cheese & Basil Knot Rolls that I made from the recipe off the UK TM site.  Will post in the bread thread.  :D

Members' comments a very popular recipe

Chelsea - Here is the recipe I use for creamed corn:
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons plain flour
1 cup or 250ml milk
2 cups corn kernals tinned, thawed or fresh
Salt and pepper

Melt butter for 1-2 minutes at 900 on speed 2.
Add flour and stir in for 20 seconds on speed 3.
Set TMX cooking at 900 on speed 3 and gradually add milk.
When mixture thickens (when the liquid noise finishes) add corn kernals and cook for 3 minutes on 100o at speed 3.
Season with salt and pepper.
Puree for 10 seconds on speed 6.

P.S - It will make a little more than what is required for this recipe, so weigh it in.

Paulinel -  it was amazing - a meal in itself.

JD - A very nice soup. I did the whole thing in the TMX - heated the oil for 3 minutes on varoma then added quartered onion, whole garlic and roughly chopped bacon. Chopped 2 sec/speed 5, scraped down sides of bowl and cooked for 5 mins/varoma/speed 2/reverse. Added other vegies which I had diced into into 2cm pieces, chopped 2 sec/speed 6 as you did and continued with the recipe.

dede - absolutely beautiful. We will definitely be doing this recipe again. The kids loved it too.

maddy - Yum Julie. Very filling.

Hally - Was going to have this for an entrée. I ended up having just this for dinner, it was so delish.

pumpkin pie -  fantastic soup. I did Judy dawns suggestion re the bacon and onion, it was fine. Very filling and tasty soup.

CP - Really, really yummy and will definitely make it again and again. Very chunky in texture. Delish

johnro - Oh my, another delicious soup.  I followed your suggestion re saute onion, garlic and bacon after chopping, the caramelised flavour of the onions went so well with the sweetness of the corn.

westcoastmum -  it was yum! Did it all in the TMX, heated the oil first as suggested. AND I made my own creamed corn.

MF -  it was delish. I do the same as you with the onions, garlic and bacon as i don't really think the TMX can successfully sauté and so easy just to sauté in a pan. I love my TMX but in my opinion some things  are better done the conventional way. No matter how long I sauté in TMX there is always a raw onion/garlic smell instead of the sweet caramelised aroma.

NomesFog - cooked the whole thing in the tmx purely because I'm lazy. Tasted nice when we ate it last night, but the other half we had for lunch today and it tastes HEAPS better the next day!  Made my own creamed corn too...talk about delish!! thanks for both recipes!  

runnybabbit - so good! Added a bit more celery. A great way to get some veggies into everyone.

Denzelmum - Made vegetarian version, and do everything in TMX.  Thanks Chelsea for cream corned recipe, we used this and add baby spinach.  DH looooves this chowder.

« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 03:38:29 pm by judydawn »

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Family Chowder - With photos
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2009, 07:42:45 am »
Very enticing photos Julie. I love the dinner set. As usual WOW ;D
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2009, 09:50:55 am »
Nice work again - the photos just make it so much easier for me - visual thinker  :-)) :-))

Strange about the onion after that time?  Wonder if it would have been better if you had put the onion and garlic in with just some of the fat from the bacon with the oil and then added the bacon later?
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2009, 10:36:05 am »
Thanks Cookie and Thermomixer.   ;D

Dunno Thermomixer, but it takes such a short time to do in a frypan, and I know it will turn out how I like.  :)

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2009, 11:40:37 am »
mmm i'm sure i've done a chowder in there too. it's easy to make the creamed corn in the tmx too :)
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2009, 01:38:07 pm »
Thanks for that Brazen, will have to look into that, I'm sure I'll be able to locate a recipe here somewhere.  :)

Offline Paulinel

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2009, 12:05:44 am »
Made this soup last night, it was amazing - a meal in itself.   :o :o :o

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2009, 01:35:00 am »
Pauline,  thanks for your comment, glad you enjoyed it. ;D

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2009, 03:29:44 am »
Here is the recipe I use for creamed corn:

Creamed Corn
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons plain flour
1 cup or 250ml milk
2 cups corn kernals tinned, thawed or fresh
Salt and pepper

Melt butter for 1-2 minutes at 900 on speed 2.
Add flour and stir in for 20 seconds on speed 3.
Set TMX cooking at 900 on speed 3 and gradually add milk.
When mixture thickens (when the liquid noise finishes) add corn kernals and cook for 3 minutes on 1000 at speed 3.
Season with salt and pepper.
Puree for 10 seconds on speed 6.

P.S - It will make a little more than what is required for this recipe, so weigh it in.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2009, 04:54:33 am »
Chelsea, thankyou for posting that.  I have saved it and will try next time I need some.  ;D

Offline ThermomixBlogger

• Thermomix blogging fan from Canada.
    • View Profile
    • SuperKitchenMachine is an unofficial fan blog for fun cooking with Thermomix!
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2009, 08:22:08 am »
Thanks from me too! Really inspiring recipe write up AND photos. Keep them coming!

I too have had the same experience with onions and bacon attempted in the same way. Must put this on the "do to" list for problem solving... hmmmm.

Thanks again JulieO!  :-*
ThermomixBlogger Helene

News, recipes and videos for Thermomix fans
around the world and at home.
Click: http://www.superkitchenmachine.com

Also Kitchen Kits for people who love Thermomix!
http://SuperKitchenKits.com

Offline Marilyn

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2010, 02:30:40 pm »
Chelsea, I used your creamed corn recipe yesterday.  It was very good - thanks!  Used it in a recipe that called for a 310g can, so weighted the right amount and then ate the rest on toast for breakfast this morning.  Yum!

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2010, 01:36:16 am »
You are very welcome.  It is rather yummy and so much nicer than the bought stuff.  :)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2010, 06:24:03 am »
Have made this for tonight's tea, very nice thanks Julie.

I did the whole thing in the TMX - heated the oil for 3 minutes on varoma then added quartered onion, whole garlic and roughly chopped bacon. Chopped 2 sec/speed 5, scraped down sides of bowl and cooked for 5 mins/varoma/speed 2/reverse. Added other vegies which I had diced into into 2cm pieces, chopped 2 sec/speed 6 as you did and continued with the recipe.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2010, 01:22:31 pm »
Glad you liked it Judy, thanks for reviewing.  :)