Author Topic: Should I Buy The New TM??  (Read 7533 times)

Offline past94x

• View Profile
Should I Buy The New TM??
« on: March 23, 2015, 07:00:39 pm »
I've had my TM31 for about 2 years now and am still madly in love with it. I just cannot imagine not having it in my kitchen and use it every day for something or other.
I was wondering if I should also buy the new model, so I've always got a backup. Well, that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!
To those of you who have the new model and have used the older model , can i ask what you think of it, compared to the TM31 please???

Offline Bedlam

• Denise - Mandurah WA
    • View Profile
Re: Should I Buy The New TM??
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2015, 11:27:44 pm »
I have both past94,  I must say I still prefer tm31.  I find 31 more responsive, I think tm5 has lots of built in protection ( won't go past a speed if hot, takes a little while to close lid, takes a little longer to heat up). I love following a recipe with the chip and think it's a great way for anyone new to thermomix to learn however I only have the one chip and generally use other sources for recipes.
I think you should enjoy tm31 and wait until there are more accessories available like second jug and more chips, just my humble opinion.
Denise

Offline Bootobethin

• View Profile
Should I Buy The New TM??
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2015, 12:08:48 am »
I have had a TT31 for 4 years.
I have used a friends TM5.
I will not be upgrading to the TM5 as i think the TM31 is better it is less complex and does all the jobs the new one does my TM31 will be perfect for many years to come so I am sticking with it.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2015, 01:09:01 am »
I think that if you were only going to purchase the new model for a back up, I would suggest you save your money instead. I've got both and I love the new model and have my TM31 in the cupboard temporarily idle as back up (no excuses required). I will probably either give it to my DS or use it as my travelling machine but it won't be wasted as I love it too much. I agree with Bedlam that its a shame there is only 1 chip ATM as there is not a lot of choice when it comes to choosing which chip to cook from  :-))
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline kyton

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2015, 01:20:33 am »
I've too have both and can say that sometimes I really prefer the simplicity of the TM31. I rarely use the chip (much prefer to read the book in front of me) and find that some of the safety features can slow down a fast process.

I think unless you are doing a huge amount of cooking it can be a bit pointless having two. I have slight pangs of regret having one sit unused but in the long term I'm not out of pocket and there are times when I have both of them working away next to each other.
Kylie

Offline mcmich

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2015, 04:39:19 am »
I have the T5 and used the T31 for 4 years. I really like the chip, I like that it goes to a higher temperature. I did sell my T31 to fund the new one. If you're happy with the T31 probably stick with it.  :)
Michele - Lake Macquarie, NSW

"Just tell yourself Duckie, you're really quite lucky." Dr Seuss

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2015, 06:24:15 am »
Stick with your 31 if it is not giving you any problems.  The biggest problem with the 5 is only 1 bowl.   There are 2 chips available now. I am not a chip person so this is not important for me.  Fitting the lid back on when it is hot, I find frustrating. Used the 31 at the week end and found it simpler to use.

Offline mcmich

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2015, 06:32:37 am »
There' is another chip available?? Off to investigate.  :)

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2015, 08:38:00 am »
I have both and both are on the shelf ready to be used. I only cook for 3 of us but still find I use both of them. I don't have to whizz the soup up early so the machine is ready to cook dinner.
The 5 has it's advantages, being able to cook from the chip, higher temperatures. (they seem to take ages to reach them) and a slightly larger capacity. I do worry that with all the safety features and chip etc there is more to go wrong.
I love my 31 and no way will I be letting that go anywhere. There is a simplicity and reliability about it.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline past94x

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2015, 09:06:43 am »
Right, I'm glad I asked. Thanks so much for your feedback. I'll stick with the one I've got for now. Thank you all again for taking the time to help me make a decision. Much appreciated.

Offline mcmich

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2015, 09:40:14 am »
After looking into it, probably not for me.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2015, 10:48:52 am »
I really wish that there could be a chip for Teninas books and Alyce's as I use these a lot. A forum chip would be the best though!
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2015, 12:59:26 pm »
Ditto.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Bedlam

• Denise - Mandurah WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2015, 10:07:28 pm »
I really wish that there could be a chip for Teninas books and Alyce's as I use these a lot. A forum chip would be the best though!

"Like"
Denise

stacelee

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2015, 05:18:28 am »
I love having the two machines and find that I constantly have two in use.....my second machine (actually third to be more precise) is not a TM5....I went another direction and have been very happy with my decision.  I love my TM31 but don't think I would have been as happy with the TM5 as I am with my new machine.