Author Topic: Oops........................................... photos  (Read 353483 times)

Offline Katiej

• View Profile
Re: Oops........................................... photos
« Reply #975 on: September 13, 2013, 09:14:26 am »
Today I tried to make hamburger rolls, using the method others have successfully used weighting them down with a tray so they rise outwards and not upwards.

They certainly rose outwards! I have 8 plate sized 1cm high "frisbees"!
I obviously weighted them down to much.
Maybe I'll turn them into breadcrumbs.

Luckily I made 2 loaves of bread today which have tuned out ok.

Katie from Adelaide, SA

A party without cake is really just a meeting - Julia Child

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #976 on: September 13, 2013, 09:28:30 am »
Make big flat hamburgers! Last time I weighed mine down it wasn't enough and they pushed the tray up.  :D ;)
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline sue_purrb

• View Profile
« Reply #977 on: September 21, 2013, 06:43:22 am »
Last week I was trying to be organised and make a bacon and egg pie to be reheated the following night.
I made cream cheese pastry as usual, but instead of using a Pyrex dish, I used a loose-bottomed flan dish.
When I was blind baking the pastry  I noticed that it had shrunk a lot more on one side than the other, so thought I would patch it up and continue cooking. As I was lifting it down from the (convection) microwave, I put my hand underneath the dish to support it and of course the bottom lifted up and cut through the pastry. I patched it up as much as I could and put it back to continue baking.
It looked ok as I left it to cool, and after I had added the dry filling, I poured in the egg and milk mixture......what a mess! It just leaked out of the bottom of the pan all over the bench top.
I was still in fixer mode, though and had the bright idea of wrapping the dish tightly in foil and trying again with another batch of egg and milk. No joy there, it just puddled into the foil.
Fixer mode rapidly switched to CBB mode, and the whole lot went into the bin!
Lucky it was a make ahead meal, and we still had plans for that night's dinner: beef stroganoff from the EDC, which was delicious.  :)
Beauty is only fur deep.....

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #978 on: September 21, 2013, 09:30:49 am »
You can't say you didn't try Sue  ;D
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Delightful Den

• View Profile
« Reply #979 on: September 21, 2013, 02:13:37 pm »
That sounds like something I would do.  :-))

Offline Thermesa

• View Profile
« Reply #980 on: September 21, 2013, 09:25:24 pm »
I was boiling potatoes the other day with pork belly in the oven. Hadn't put the potatoes in tmx yet when the safety switch flicked. DH turned it back and it flicked straight away. I quickly turned off the tmx and it reset properly. Aaaargh what was wrong with my machine???? Then I saw water running down the back and onto the bench... All over the bench...  I'd put the blades in the bowl but not put the base on so it poured out through the hole.  30 minutes later I discovered that the oven fan was just cooling and switched off. I hadn't realized I needed to manually reset the oven after the power failed.

Amazingly by the time we finished dinner (which was a but late as a result) it was working again phew!

I baked the Donna Hay Orange and Yogurt Cake but didn't grease the bundt enough. Rescued it enough fortunately as it was destined for a friend the next day.

The day before I managed to boil the steamer dry and smoked my veggies. That will teach me not to bother with the stove top. Hate scrubbing burnt pots but grateful that I was able to remove the evidence.

I think that was when tmx was busy making sophisticated banana cake with the wrong baking soda. Another flop.

Emotional baking was not quite so emotional yesterday. Phew!

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #981 on: September 22, 2013, 12:07:52 am »
Bet you were glad when that day was over Thermesa  :)  That's quite a few oops stories there.

Offline Thermesa

• View Profile
« Reply #982 on: September 22, 2013, 11:33:17 am »
Hopefully I don't save as many up this week.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #983 on: September 22, 2013, 01:54:26 pm »
I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. I am sure it will be a better week.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

mcmich

« Reply #984 on: September 22, 2013, 07:00:03 pm »
Wow, that week can only get better Thermesa.

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #985 on: September 22, 2013, 09:08:24 pm »
You could look at it this way, Thermesa ... everything that could go wrong, did go wrong, so nothing more will go wrong from now on! ;)
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline Emme

• View Profile
« Reply #986 on: September 29, 2013, 12:22:59 am »
Note to myself:  Always label food containers in freezer.
Decided to have some vegetable soup from the freezer so I took the container out to thaw.  I was not feeling 100% so DH said he would heat the soup up for me.  I did not take any notice when he said this soup is awfully thick, I just told him to put a little extra water in it and it would be fine.  I can honestly say that Savoury mince soup will never be on the menu again.   :-)) :-)) :o

Marie

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #987 on: September 29, 2013, 12:43:11 am »
 :D :D  Poor you Marie, I hope you're feeling better soon.  :-* :-*

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #988 on: September 29, 2013, 01:33:27 am »
Marie - hope you're feeling much better . . .

Now for my note to self!!  Always check the (small) compost bucket before sending the contents into the worm farm or  burying them in the garden. . . . .

I have two bowls and some months ago I "misplaced" the second set of blades.  I searched and searched, checked the worm farm I don't know how many times, convinced that that's where they were.  Almost turned the house upside down looking for them as I couldn't understand where the blades could have disappeared to.  Philosophically, I eventually thought - stop looking -  they will turn up eventually, perhaps hiding in a bowl, dish or saucepan at the back of the cupboard (but I had already searched there . . . . . . :-)) )

DD was in Germany a couple of months ago, so asked her to pick up some blades from the Vorwerk store in Germany.

FF to last week and DS headed up to the part of the garden where we often bury vegetable peelings,etc trying to improve the soil there. Picked a random spot, started digging, and then yelled, "Hey, Mum!  Remember those blades you've been looking for . . .?!"  About a foot down - there were the missing blades ???  They'd been buried up there for months!!! :-))  (Heaven only knows how they found their way into the bucket - only to be covered and hidden by more peelings. It's a small bucket - a 2 Kg Jalna yogurt container that is kept up on a shelf so we don't normally look into the bucket as we contribute more to it- and it doesn't take long for it to fill up and then be emptied in the worm farm, compost bin or  the garden . . .

They were caked with wonderfully rich black soil. (well done, earthworms!!! ;D)  If they'd been a cheap and nasty item they probably would have ended up in the bin - but I hosed them off, gave them a good scrub and sterilised them as best I could using several turns in boiling water and steam - and they're as good as new!! No rust, no marks - a testament to top quality stainless steel and top quality workmanship!  Well done, Vorwerk!!! ;D ;D

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #989 on: September 29, 2013, 02:13:20 am »
And top marks to DS for digging in that exact spot GF - like finding a needle in a haystack, well done - a great story. Somewhere in my back yard is one of my s/s tablespoon measuring spoons but I've given up on finding it.