Author Topic: Cooking recipes with mince  (Read 8417 times)

Offline silvo1

• View Profile
Cooking recipes with mince
« on: September 23, 2012, 07:49:55 am »
I have had my thermie for a couple of months now and love, love, love it! However I am hoping for some advice. My family is not a fan of any recipes made with mince. They don't like the texture! I haven't found it too bad, but the other day I made a chow mein recipe off one of the forums and even I couldn't stomach it and it ended up being fed to the dog. In fact, the texture of it was very much like dog food. So my question is, is there any way of cooking the mince so that it doesn't end up so fine and is more like it would be on the stove top? I have been using bought mince rather than mincing my own after reading mixed reviews about the mince made in the TM. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
Re: Cooking recipes with mince
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2012, 08:27:31 am »
welcome to the forum silvo i have tried a few  time cooking mince in the  *: and now i we only cook it on the stove i think most forum member do the same
i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2012, 09:32:44 am »
I cook mine on the stove, yet I have a friend who does her own mince and leaves it quite chunky, and wouldn't do it any other way.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2012, 09:35:17 am »
Hi silvo1 and welcome to the forum.  Have to agree with fundj here. We tried it once and although it was ok it was nowhere near as good as done on the stovetop.  It could be that it takes practice and a special touch - who knows ??? - We love the TMX and certainly would not like to be without it . . but for mince dishes as in a spaghetti sauce it's stove top for us!

(I'm wary, too, of trying to mince in the TMX - but my DD says she has no problems at all . . . . :-)))

Offline Merlin

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2012, 09:48:34 am »
The only mince recipes I routinely do with the TM are the Swedish meatballs and the bolognese sauce (ragu) from the EDC which my kids love. Everything else I do on the stovetop eg pastitsio, lasagne etc.
"There are two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as if everything is"
Albert Einstein

Offline creedy04

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2012, 12:24:29 am »
HI There, i cook my  mince in the tmx. I use the same mince recipe for sgetti bolognaise and lasagne. I found a chunkier mince recipe on some forum and i have had a go at cooking mince 3 or 4 times. First was great 2nd not so well , 3rd a disaster and 4th was great! I think the trick is to NOT go over speed  ^^ and it MUST be on  :-: . I also use my own sauce which is slow roasted tomato, garlic, onion and some herbs. whizz it a bit in the tmx to smooth it out. I freeze it for use later.
So when i make the mince, i grate some onion, carrot and zucchini, add the tomato sauce and cook for about 8  mins on 100. Then i add the mince  through the hole in top of lid and cook for another 8 - 15 minutes (depending whether or not i think it's cooked!)

I hope that helps! It's certainly easier than cooking it on the stove... no standing there stiring and i no longer have burnt mince!

I'm a new owner too and we kill our our beef and eat a lot of mince! Lasgane is my fave food... so for me it was essential that i perfect it! just keep trying...  :)

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2012, 12:27:04 am »
creedy can i ask u why you  grate  your onion, carrot and zucchini

Offline creedy04

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2012, 01:25:38 am »
ummmm.... i just always have, that's how my mum made it... i guess it hides a few veges for some fussy kids and also bulks up the mince a bit...??? i've just worked out that if i chop on about sp5 it is better than speed 10 which turns it to mush!  :)

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2012, 01:48:33 am »
when i chop those 3  ingredient i chop the carrot 1st then without scraping down i add the onions, chop, and then the zucchini

Offline Yvette

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2012, 02:51:40 am »
I also do not like mince in the TM always cook on stovetop  :)

Mama Fergie

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2012, 03:20:27 pm »
I agree and always cook mince on the stovetop.  :)

I really don't like it cooked in the TMX and my family all agree