Author Topic: Hotel room cooking  (Read 10531 times)

Offline Lemongrass

• View Profile
Hotel room cooking
« on: March 08, 2017, 05:26:01 pm »
Hi everyone,
I will be staying in a hotel in Mexico for 2 full months...and just found out that meals are not included in the hotel package  :'(
I'll have a mini refrigerator, but no stove, oven, or microwave oven so I've decided to pack my trusted TM31 in my luggage.
I'm trying to think of breakfast / lunch / dinner recipes that do not require much equipment (I'll buy a basic plate, bowl, cutlery and containers for leftovers but won't have a full kitchen with me). I will not bring the Varoma as it takes too much space and I don't actually use it that much at home.
At the moment I'm thinking smoothies for breakfast, risottos every now and again, steamed veg in the basket, and eating out on my days off (Sundays) when I have enough time to get to a restaurant.
If you have any suggestions, that would be really helpful. I wish they'd release a TM dorm-room survival cookbook!
Thanks for your help and advice

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Hotel room cooking
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2017, 06:05:41 pm »
 You've set yourself quite a challenge Lemongrass but I believe you will find plenty of suitable recipes for one pan dinners on this forum.  Just had a quick look and came up with this curry recipe http://www.forumthermomix.com/index.php?topic=8925.0.  Have a good browse, even look at the recipes in the All in one Cooking using the Varoma as, although you are not taking the varoma, you could halve the recipe and perhaps use the steaming basket instead of the varoma.  I think you will need to work out which recipes you're likely to make so that you can take little packets of spices etc with you.

Are you allowed to cook in your room in this particular hotel?  Here in Australia we are generally not allowed to, occasionally the exception is making toast only. 
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Lemongrass

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2017, 06:53:29 pm »
Thank you Judy. Good idea on the spices, I'll buy some over there. Not sure if cooking is allowed, but considering they're not offering any discount on food, I'll take my chances.
I'll browse around and will try recipes at home before I leave
Thanks

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2017, 07:42:00 pm »
Soups are always handy, quick and easy, but if you are there in summer may not be suitable.  This Creamy Vegetarian Pasta meal is one of our favourites and should keep you going for a day or two as well.  I'll be looking forward to the responses to your query as there are bound to be heaps of suggestions and ideas for all of us to try!
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2017, 08:55:30 pm »
Maybe porridge,scrambled or boiled or poached eggs for breakfast.

Pity you aren't taking your Varoma as you could have done "all in one meals" You could have even made bread and steamed cooked it in the Varoma. Frittata work very well in the Varoma too.
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2017, 03:59:22 am »
Perhaps buy yourself a small bamboo steamer that will fit onto the thermomix when you get over there. That will enable you too steam chicken etc and make some of the all in one meals.
I compiled a book of thermomix recipes that I could easily make in the caravan. I will hunt it out (if I can!) and list them for you.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Lemongrass

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2017, 08:57:13 am »
That will enable you too steam chicken etc and make some of the all in one meals.
I compiled a book of thermomix recipes that I could easily make in the caravan. I will hunt it out (if I can!) and list them for you.

Thank you Cookie, the caravan book could be really helpful and definitely an interesting read!

I was planning to steam chicken in the steaming basket – is that not possible?

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2017, 09:03:22 am »
It certainly is, and a great idea too. I've had a quick look for my book Lemongrass but cant find it!!!! We have changed caravans since I last used it and I thought it was in the new van, Its not! I will keep looking.

Offline Bootobethin

• View Profile
Hotel room cooking
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2017, 08:20:12 pm »
Yes I think the varoma would be very valuable as the all in one meals would be fantastic. I cooked in the thermo when I had no kitchen for 4 months and the varoma was invaluable.
If you pack the varoma in your luggage you could just roll clothes etc and fill it with socks etc so it doesn't take up too much space.
You may have to set the thermomix up in the bathroom at the hotel for venting!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2017, 03:10:27 am »
I'm afraid I haven't been able to find the book I made up for caravan recipes Lemongrass. I thought I had found it on the computer but that was just the cover I made up for it. What I did was simply go through meals I knew were nice and copy them. (ones that were easily made in the thermomix)

I'm at a loss as to where it is, not happy either as I don't really want to do it again. Although now adays I have my ipad with me so can use that.

Offline Lemongrass

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2017, 06:01:37 am »
Thank you for looking Cookie. I think I'll stick to very basic cooking. I'll just have to feed myself, won't do anything too fancy.

Offline sue_h

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2017, 02:36:55 am »
Great idea taking the thermomix. We've taken it a few times to hotels and either cooked outside if there is an entertaining area. If that's not possible I guess you need to weigh up your alternatives.

I've usually taken the Varoma for the all in one meals and it allowed me to steam breads, reheat food and do all in one meals to save time. As Bootobethin mention, I usually put in my luggage and stuffed it with other items to fill up the spaces. We would have a hearty breakfast of porridge or eggs, seasonal veggie's from the markets and fruit and nuts for smoothies or porridge is ideal. We usually make a chopped salad with eggs, steamed chicken (you can use the basket for this and probably use a variety of meats and seafood) for dinners or lunch depending on the day.

I hope you have a great time and get to enjoy some of the local products on offer.
Sue from North Queensland

Offline Lemongrass

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2017, 04:03:02 pm »
Thank you all for your help and advice.
They're renegotiating the hotel package and it seems lunch will be included. I'll still have to figure out breakfast and dinner. Thermomix will still be part of the trip, and following your advice here I'll also bring the Varoma.
I got hold of a French TM book called "A toute vapeur", which may be the equivalent to the "Full Steam Ahead" book. There's an omelette recipe that calls for wet parchment paper - I'll definitely try that one at home before i go.

My other concern is tap water. It is not recommended to drink mexican tap water, and I wonder is getting water to boiling point when steaming is enough to kill the bacteria.
I found this article about "Bacdyn" but I'm a little weary when it comes to use it in cooking water.
https://kathleeniscookinginmexico.wordpress.com/tag/bacdyn/