Author Topic: What book are you reading?  (Read 507289 times)

Offline courton

• View Profile
    • Blendstyle
Re: What book are you reading?
« Reply #1665 on: January 11, 2017, 03:49:41 am »
I have just finished reading Maggie O'Farrell's latest book - This must be the place. Very enjoyable. Thoroughly recommend.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1666 on: January 11, 2017, 05:34:13 am »
I haven't read any of her books. Are they a specific genrč?
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline courton

• View Profile
    • Blendstyle
« Reply #1667 on: January 13, 2017, 02:01:41 am »
She seems to be very well known in the UK. Very readable books but hard to pin down a genre. About families & relationships - this one is about an older man married to a famous film star recluse who is confronted with his past - and how he deals with it.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1668 on: January 13, 2017, 11:23:09 am »
It sounds interesting. I will have to keep my eyes open for one.

Offline K Atie

• View Profile
« Reply #1669 on: January 16, 2017, 08:08:06 pm »
Have found a new way , well not so new , to see what everyone is reading . Take a stroll along the beach it seems the book is back . Only one electronic reader. Great satisfaction to think I read that or that's beside my bed ready to read .

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #1670 on: January 17, 2017, 04:12:04 am »
Yes, I do miss peeking at book titles when I am on a tram, etc. and I feel guilty that I almost exclusively use my Kindle as I watch book shops closing all around me, but they are so much lighter and more convenient.  I have to admit, I hate e-recipe books though, I have to have a hard copy!
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1671 on: January 17, 2017, 06:41:23 am »
I 've always said no one knows what you are reading with a Kindle!! I really love mine for going away as I can have so much reading in it. I still read a lot of paper books as publishers sends them to DD to review.
I have a lot of Tenina's books as e books and I forget to look at them. I'm like you Marina and prefer to sit down and look at them.

Offline K Atie

• View Profile
« Reply #1672 on: January 22, 2017, 10:45:35 pm »
Reading The Dry by Jane Harper , a great crime novel . Half way through . Beach time ending tomorrow , no more relaxing in the sun reading . But have The Lake House ready to read next , it was meant to be my holiday light read .

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1673 on: January 23, 2017, 12:13:26 pm »
I received some Dymocks vouchers for Christmas. I bought a book about a policeman who was at Birdsville for 10 years, that was really good. Another one I bought was by Peter May. He is an author I haven't read. I'm quite enjoying it.

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #1674 on: January 23, 2017, 07:46:36 pm »
I am just about to start either the first Game of Thrones book or the first OUtlander book.  I have had them for quite some time and read both in the past but couldn't get into them, maybe it will be different this time round.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #1675 on: January 24, 2017, 09:32:08 pm »
Thanks to all who report what they are reading. Can't add much here as I read mostly on iPad and usually 'rubbish' to put me to sleep. Mostly crime or mystery. At the moment Harry Bosch is my hero. Very annoyed what the did with his stories when they made the TV series.
Also read most of the Vera series. TV series much better.
What I really enjoy is reading some of my old Cookery books.

Offline Delightful Den

• View Profile
« Reply #1676 on: January 25, 2017, 06:47:22 am »
I have been working my way through the Tess Gerritsen Rizoli and Ilses serries of crime fiction. Like most of crime fiction based around a "hero" it can be a bit far fetched, You would think that they would learn to be more carful and not put themselves in the killers way so much. But it can also be very engrossing where you feel like you just need to read hte next paragraph to see what happens.

I am reading these on the kindle becuase it is easy to just download another one and you don;'t have to hunt through the book store only to find they dont have the next one in the series. I finished the patric O'Brian Jack Aubrey/Stephen Maturian sereid on the kindle for this reason. Whenever I when to the book shop I could only ever find the first few books in the serries and not the later ones.

I have just started (in hardcopy) Patrick O'Brian's biography. I am still reading the introduction but so far it is interesting.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1677 on: January 25, 2017, 07:49:52 am »
I enjoy Tess Gerritsen books. Chookie I also enjoy Scurrilous french novels as my DH calls them. More commonly called romance novels. DD is friends with Rachel John's who has written quite a few books, mainly rural romance genrė. As a result of that friend ship we also received ebooks from a couple of other local writers of this genrč.

Offline mcmich

• View Profile
« Reply #1678 on: January 25, 2017, 09:33:35 am »
I received some Dymocks vouchers for Christmas. I bought a book about a policeman who was at Birdsville for 10 years, that was really good. Another one I bought was by Peter May. He is an author I haven't read. I'm quite enjoying it.

Cookie what is the title of that book? I love a biography, especially if it's Australian.
Michele - Lake Macquarie, NSW

"Just tell yourself Duckie, you're really quite lucky." Dr Seuss

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1679 on: January 25, 2017, 11:46:56 am »
Mich it is called Outback Cop by Evan McHugh and Neale McShane. Neale is the policeman and Hugh was in Birdsville for so e time and they became friends. I found it quite emotive as there is a road death in it of a young lass, Kelly Theobold. She helped me when we were in Birdsville and was so nice.