Author Topic: THE SHOPPING THREAD :-)  (Read 4522398 times)

Offline Aussie Brenda

• View Profile
Re: THE SHOPPING THREAD :-)
« Reply #6480 on: December 20, 2012, 03:01:44 am »
Emme, just had a look at those Cool Coats they are good, if I lived where it was hot all the time I would defiantly get one for Rosie, 

Offline Mama Fergie

• View Profile
« Reply #6481 on: December 20, 2012, 03:04:43 am »
In anticipation of a hot summer ahead, I have bought a Cool coat for Bonnie.  Spoilt dog  ;D
Marie

What a great idea Marie. I am going to order one for each of my dogs as they feel the heat in summer.
Thanks for posting the link  :D

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6482 on: December 20, 2012, 03:23:49 am »
Oh shucks here I am back again. Coats are neat. Lucky I can just put my dogs in the pool.

The thermapen is. Neat too. I recently bought  fromPOK. The Master Chef food thermometer  which is great as well. I use it all the time and wish I had thought of it a long time ago. It registers from -40 to 230 c. It has it"s own case And clips on.

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #6483 on: December 20, 2012, 03:45:18 am »
Where did you order from Julie?

Marie

Last night I sent an enquiry to the UK where they are made and they sent me back a reply saying they had forwarded it on to their supplier here in Australia (link below).  The Oz site doesn't give much information but they did email me first thing today. I ended up ringing them and spoke to Charles (02 88522720) who I ordered from.

http://www.rossbrownsales.com.au

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #6484 on: December 20, 2012, 03:47:15 am »
Thermapen looks good
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline astarra

• View Profile
« Reply #6485 on: December 20, 2012, 04:04:09 am »
Just got myself a diary for next year - and spent the last little while filling in the appnts etc we already have booked!  :D
:D

Offline Emme

• View Profile
« Reply #6486 on: December 20, 2012, 05:41:38 am »
Thanks for the info Julie  ;D

Marie

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #6487 on: December 20, 2012, 10:58:35 am »
Got my new iPad today.. Not the new one just an iPad 2 but 3G and 64 g as my 16 g was all full up and couldn't do anything with it so dh got me this one and said it will have to do for now.. No big purchases for us for a while unfortunately :( really should probably avoid this thread all together..
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/

Offline Yvette

• View Profile
« Reply #6488 on: December 20, 2012, 10:26:21 pm »
My DH has been trying to find an ipad mini for me for Christmas everyone is sold out, so have decided to get the normal ipad instead

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
    • Books, Cooks, Gadgets and Gardening
« Reply #6489 on: December 20, 2012, 10:37:39 pm »
Where did you order from Julie?

Marie

Last night I sent an enquiry to the UK where they are made and they sent me back a reply saying they had forwarded it on to their supplier here in Australia (link below).  The Oz site doesn't give much information but they did email me first thing today. I ended up ringing them and spoke to Charles (02 88522720) who I ordered from.

http://www.rossbrownsales.com.au

You won't be sorry.  I use mine for so many things - checking to see if microwaved foods are hot all the way through - often are still cold in the center when the outside is hot.

I check ALL baked goods - bread to be sure it has reached 95° C.  And cakes, sweet breads, etc., have reached 98° C.   Anything that contains a lot of sugar has to reach that temp in the center so it won't be soggy. 
With fruited breads or cakes  be sure and test in more than one spot because if the tip of the probe hits a piece of fruit, it will register HIGHER temp than the surrounding dough.   
You should also use this to test boiled or steamed puddings, which are extremely dense and sometimes are not cooked through to the center. 

If the desired temp has not been reached, put the item back into the oven for 10 minutes then check again and if you have two items in the oven at the same time, check BOTH.  Sometimes (and no one can explain why) some things will reach the "done" temp before others that are right next to them.
I'm not OverWeight, I'm UnderTall!
My Blog: http://www.asenjigalblogs.com/

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #6490 on: December 20, 2012, 10:59:10 pm »
Thanks so much for your tips Andi, I really appreciate it.   :D

Ever since seeing Chookie's recommendation of checking the temp of the inside of bread I've wanted to get a good one  :D

The one I have (from Cheeselinks) isn't the best, won't turn off, have to remove battery just to stop it working etc so when I saw your post I decided to get a Thermapen too.  ;D

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6491 on: December 20, 2012, 11:14:04 pm »
Thanks for the contact info, Julie0!  Charles remembers you! ;D
have ordered -

and Andi - thank you so much for those temperature tips - have printed them off to keep on hand!  Very much appreciated!
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 11:16:33 pm by goldfish »

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6492 on: December 20, 2012, 11:32:42 pm »
My DH has been trying to find an ipad mini for me for Christmas everyone is sold out, so have decided to get the normal ipad instead

I love my iPad but I have to say Yvette I  love my mini iPad more as it can go anywhere anytime and is so light.

My daughter just bought her first iPad the other day it is a mini and she bought it from a local Apple shop. It may be worth a few phone calls to find one in stock.

I also found a self locking cover whch protects the sides without adding weight nor bulk. brilliant!

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #6493 on: December 20, 2012, 11:35:32 pm »
JB HI FI could be worth checking,  this is where we got our iPhones when e were told there we non to be had in Melb.

Offline Yvette

• View Profile
« Reply #6494 on: December 20, 2012, 11:49:17 pm »
Thanks Gert I only want to use mine at home so not too worried about the weight. Where did you get the cover? Is that for the normal Ipad too?

Chookie have tried the Apple store, JB, DJ's, Myer, Dick Smith everywhere you can think of. Some are only selling the 3G $700 version which I don't want.