Author Topic: Basic Cookie Cutter Biscuit Dough (low sugar)  (Read 53737 times)

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
Basic Cookie Cutter Biscuit Dough (low sugar)
« on: June 13, 2010, 02:20:08 am »
Name of Recipe: Basic Cookie Cutter Biscuit Dough

Ingredients:
125g butter
2 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 egg
65g sugar (I use rapadura which gives a slightly golden colour)

Preparation:
Place all ingredients into TM bowl and mix for 12 seconds on speed 6.  Scrape down.

Set dial to closed lid position and knead for 50 seconds on Interval speed.

Tip into a bowl and knead into a smooth ball.  Cover and place in fridge for at least 15 minutes.

Engage help of kids in rolling and cutting into their favourite shapes.

Place onto lined baking tray and bake approximately 10 minutes, depending on shape and size.

Tips/Hints:
This dough is barely sweet, so can be sweetened or flavoured however you like.  It has only 65% of the sugar of gingerbread biscuits, and no golden syrup.  Yields a slightly smaller batch of cookies, so is quite low in sugar.

The dough looks very crumbly, but once you start working it, it comes together well.

The friend who gave me this recipe said you can flavour it however you like.  Could add some LSA mix, or other hidden goodies.

Good for if your kids want to bake every second day and you want to reduce their sugar.

members' comments

Zan - very quick and easy. Kids were able to work with the dough very easily. Biscuits were good.

patsycate - Thanks for this recipe - I've made it twice now - successful both times - and everyone loves them.

rubyslippers - Made the basic version of this today.  The children enjoyed cutting and eating them.  Next time we might try something mixed in. Thanks for the recipe Cathy.

Bubbles - I made these with DD4 and DS2 and it was a hit! They spent an hour rolling/cutting/playing with the dough and then loved the finished product! Will definitely be making these on another rainy afternoon - thank you!  I have tried doubling the recipe but it wasn't successful.

ES - This is very similar to Lady Flo's recipe that is posted on the forum http://www.forumthermomix.com/index.php?topic=9286.0 except that her recipe uses 90g of sugar. This is the biscuit recipe that I use most of the time as it is so flexible, easy and tasty. I often sprinkle coloured sugar on top before baking, or decorate with royal icing. However, these are obviously not low sugar options!

Here are the variations in her book: Add
- 2 teaspoons  desiccated coconut;
- 90g sultanas, currants, chopped cherries or chopped peel;
- 90g chopped nuts;
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon or orange zest (yum!)
- 2 tablespoons cocoa, as a substitute of 2 tablespoons of flour;
- before cooking, roll in sugar or corn flakes, or roll in balls and top with jam; or
- cooked biscuits can be joined together with mock cream or iced with lemon or chocolate icing.

frazzled mom - my son helped me press all the buttons/dial. He also rolled, cut the shapes and decorated the cookies.He was so chuffed with the result!! Very nice cookies. Thx for the recipe!

Ilaeria - I made these today on someone's recommendation, with the following variations:

* Wholemeal instead of white flour
* Substituted 2 tablespoons each of almond meal and linseed meal for some of the flour
* Rapadura sugar
* Added 2 teaspoons of almond essence

They needed a good chill (but it's pretty hot here on the Gold Coast today!) but otherwise the dough handled really well and they turned out great.  Very easy too!

Denzelmum - Had a bunch of kids age 3-10yo, making this together.  Not successful with cookie cutter, so we just rolled it as ball then flatten it.  All kids have a great time and enjoyed their creation.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 04:03:45 am by judydawn »
Helping you to take back control over what your family eats, one meal at a time.
Email thermomix.darlingdowns@gmail.com

Offline HeyMcJude

• View Profile
Re: Basic Cookie Cutter Biscuit Dough (low sugar)
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2010, 03:07:14 am »
These sound good - I have been on a mission to reduce our sugar intake.  I will give these a go for lunch boxes this week.  Cheers! ;)

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2010, 11:20:12 am »
Hope you like them.  DH commented that they're like shortbread.  Would be a good replacement for the traditional arrowroot biscuit for teething toddlers.  Much better ingredients.
Helping you to take back control over what your family eats, one meal at a time.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2010, 11:50:48 am »
Thanks CB 79 - always great to reduce sugar intake as HeyMcJude says  :-* :-* :-*
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline KLC79

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2010, 01:17:48 pm »
Soudns good, but what is LSA mix when you talk about flavouring them? Anyone got other ideas for healthy but interesting flavourings? What about orange yest? Anything else you can suggest that little ones might enjoy (18months!)

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2010, 10:32:02 pm »
LSA (Linseed, sunflower seeds and almonds) is probably more a nutritional bonus than a flavour bonus.

Our family is highly citrus allergic so I don't normally play with orange zest, but I'm sure it would work.  Could try chocolate or jaffa flavour?

Offline Zan

• View Profile
    • My Thermomix Blog
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2010, 07:49:05 am »
Just made this, very quick and easy. Kids were able to work with the dough very easily. Biscuits were good.

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2010, 10:18:33 am »
Glad you liked them Zan.

Offline patsycate

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2010, 02:15:05 pm »
Thanks for this recipe - I've made it twice now - successful both times - and everyone loves them.

Now let's see if this link for a photo works...

« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 02:40:34 pm by patsycate »
Patsy in Brisbane

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2010, 04:51:52 am »
They look very yummy.  Great photo!

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2010, 11:21:27 am »
Nice work patsycate - looking good.  :-* :-*
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline Jennifer

• View Profile
    • Multiple Birth Parents
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2010, 10:31:33 am »
Going to try this one . Thanks

Offline rubyslippers

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2010, 09:04:20 am »
Made the basic version of this today.  The children enjoyed cutting and eating them.  Next time we might try something mixed in.

Thanks for the recipe Cathy.

:)

Offline grapesy83

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2012, 12:09:55 am »
Came across this today - thanks cathy79.  How would you adapt this to make a gingerbread mix? I came across another recipe yesterday but it just turned into a gluggy mess.

Offline Bubbles

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2012, 12:29:12 pm »
I just made these this afternoon with DD4 and DS2, and it was a hit! They spent an hour rolling/cutting/playing with the dough, and then loved the finished product! Will definitely be making these on another rainy afternoon - thank you!