Author Topic: Anything goes for Uni  (Read 7916983 times)

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
Re: Anything goes for Uni
« Reply #38520 on: March 12, 2020, 09:12:18 pm »
CC, we are keeping our fingers and everything else crossed for you.  I looked at a map of England this morning that identified ares where the Coronavirus has been identified. Are you ok?none notified in Ballarat yet. Our Chemist is already short of some drugs. Panic buying again.
Bit cooler today, but still nice Autumn weather.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #38521 on: March 12, 2020, 11:44:08 pm »
Fingers crossed for you too Cornish, hope there are no hold ups.

I have not felt like cooking for the last few days and have been using up left overs from the freezer.  Will have to cook today though as the freezer I use for DH's work meals is no longer freezing.  He only noticed this morning when he went to get something out for work (after being off for a few days) and it was warm inside.  As you can imagine all the food had to be thrown out as they weren't chilled at all and most likely have been sitting in that warmth for a few days so I didn't want to take a risk.  Oh well, it's made me pull my finger out and will make something to tide him through the next lot of shifts.
Also need to cook our main meals as well, so will have a busy day.  :)

I had my annual bloods done last week and yesterday rang to check on the results.  Everything was good, even my B12 which I can sometimes be low in was good.  The only difference has been having a Berocca every day for the last few months, so maybe that did it.  Iron, cholesterol, blood sugar etc all good, so that made me feel good.  :D

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38522 on: March 13, 2020, 03:42:51 am »
JulieO that is great news, well done. That is how my diabetes was found. I'm so very glad as I have had it for just over 3 years now and still manage it with diet. If I hadn't had a good GP and my annual blood tests it may not have been discovered as I had no symptoms. It was a very early discovery.

Chookie I don't blame you for self isolating. DD was telling me that if ED's become clogged with patients anyone over 65 may well be treated last and not intubated, if needed. This is a worse case scenario. She is extremely hopeful that she isn't called back to work. They will have staff who have been overseas for holidays and may need to self isolate.
Our car club had an emergency teleconference with the committee last night and have decided we will not have meetings, runs or coffee mornings for a couple of months. Most people are well over 65, many over 80 and some immune compromised. A few like us have very elderly parents.
I just hope that we are all over reacting, I don't mind having egg on my face, as long as everyone is ok.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38523 on: March 13, 2020, 05:49:44 am »
Great test results Julie.
Everything is changing on a daily basis but better to be cautious and stay well.  It looks as if the decision by footy fans to attend matches or not will be taken out of our hands if the AFL listen to the advice given to them this morning. 
I could quite easily self-isolate Chookie if it wasn’t for Mum, the day might come when nursing homes will also go into lock down so until that time I’ll keep visiting her every day.
Let’s hope this doesn’t go on for too long, stay well everyone.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #38524 on: March 13, 2020, 11:07:49 am »
Julie, that happened to us once.  We came home from holiday, it was very hot, 40 degrees and the freezer had broken down. What a waste.  Shame you have to get cooking when you don’t feel like it.
Judy, you do have to go out but be careful.  In the Chemist shop today, everyone was standing well apart.
The IGA were handing out toilet paper.  I didn’t need it but DD, stuck at home with cold didn’t have any so took a packet for her.
Turned cool today. 

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #38525 on: March 13, 2020, 09:33:35 pm »
That wouldn't have been nice on a hot day Chookie.

Judy, a lock down at the care centre sounds like a good thing for all involved.

Cookie, that's great that you are managing your diabetes and caught it early.

I ended up spending about 6 hours cooking yesterday.  Made a tuna pasta bake using up bits and pieces for DH's work meals, made the nicest cheese sauce in the TM to add some to it. 

Cooked some sausages on the bbq to serve with a tomato onion sauce made in the TM with veg steamed in the varoma at the same time.  Was supposed to steam the sausages but liked the idea of cooking on the bbq more.  The sauce and veg turned out great.
Also made a heap of cheesy mashed potatoes in the pc to serve with it and to freeze for other meals.

For myself I made a vegetable patty.  Supposed to serve on a small hollowed out wholegrain roll but I just used a slice of wholegrain bread.  It was tasty and I look forward to my other serve today.  (Michelle B).

So, both of our meals are cooked for today, but I plan on making a rice pudding in the pc which I've made before and is delicious.  :D

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #38526 on: March 13, 2020, 09:52:02 pm »
Julie, you have done very well and it all sounds delicious.
It has finally turned cold.  I am not complaining as I love the cold weather.  A bonus is the sum is shining.

Offline mab19

• View Profile
« Reply #38527 on: March 14, 2020, 03:12:55 am »
A sunny afternoon here 18 deg.
Went to the supermarket early this morning 7:15 am and managed to get 1 pkt toilet rolls.  The place was packed and every trolley had toilet rolls in it.
Julie, our freezer broke down once when we were away on holidays.  We had half a side of beef in it as well as other meats.  DH took it all away and buried it, I nearly cried when the dog came home with a huge roast in its mouth looking very smug with itself.
The  man who said it can't be done should not interupt the woman doing it.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38528 on: March 14, 2020, 04:50:00 am »
LOL Margaret, he must have been beside himself when he found that stash of meat!

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38529 on: March 14, 2020, 10:45:13 am »
Friends had their freezer break down too.  They said the smell was ghastly.

Very overcast here today and some sprinkles of rain still warm and sticky though. One of DD’s friends rang her today and her parents had done an online food order and hardly received any of it. They are quite elderly and the Mum has a lot of health problems, including dialysis. As her friend was working DD went out and was able to get some toilet paper and rice for them.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38530 on: March 14, 2020, 10:57:11 am »
It must be hard for the elderly, a kind gesture by your DD cookie.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #38531 on: March 14, 2020, 11:34:36 am »
Well done Cookie DD. 
We are in lockdown. If we get stir crazy we will go for a drive or walk in the park. I could always do some house work and cleaning.  On the bottom of list.

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38532 on: March 14, 2020, 10:32:05 pm »
Well done Cookie DD. 
We are in lockdown. If we get stir crazy we will go for a drive or walk in the park. I could always do some house work and cleaning.  On the bottom of list.

I am gunna be quite firm here Chookie. REMOVE CLEANING FROM YOUR LIST!!

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #38533 on: March 15, 2020, 03:54:10 am »
Well done Cookie DD. 

I am gunna be quite firm here Chookie. REMOVE CLEANING FROM YOUR LIST!!

Gert
Thanks, Gert.  I will do just that.
Cool and overcast. 
My Blog is playing up. 

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38534 on: March 15, 2020, 06:20:33 am »
When you are in lock down I believe cleaning is banned. Actually I know it is banned. Do pleasant things Chookie.

We had 12 mm of rain overnight. It's still warm though and very humid.