Author Topic: Anything goes for Uni  (Read 7966362 times)

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Anything goes for Uni
« Reply #38490 on: March 05, 2020, 08:06:44 am »
Julie I’m sorry to read your news.  It takes the wind out of your sails when you hear this sort of news. One of DH’s mates has bone cancer. He has a Harley Davidson motor bike, but no license to ride such a big bike.  He has said “who cares” and hasn’t been picked up at all.  The best of luck to your ex BIL.

I did my grocery shopping this morning. It was a mad house. The shelves were totally empty of water, toilet paper, pasta, rice, flour and probably other things.  Plenty of fresh food.  Plenty of chick peas, lentils etc.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38491 on: March 05, 2020, 08:14:47 am »
I feel for those living from week to week who cannot afford to stock much at all, most of us have fairly reasonably stocks at all times but people are going crazy.  With my way of eating now there’s not much I can stock up on as it’s mostly fresh food but I’ve always got plenty of meat etc in the freezer.  Oh I do have good stocks of toilet paper as I buy in bulk LOL.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #38492 on: March 05, 2020, 07:27:09 pm »
We regularly buy a lot of tinned foods and toilet paper in bulk as well and, totally coincidentally, I placed a big order just before the panic buying spree started so I am feeling a cross between guilty and smug!

I am thinking I will probably buy some extra dry goods this week, though ... beans, lentils, chick peas, soup mix, etc.  When you've got these you can always pull something nutritious together and they will always keep on the shelves until you need them.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #38493 on: March 05, 2020, 09:47:11 pm »
I'm pretty good with stocks at home too though I've been picking up extra tins/packets of pet food whenever I've gone to the store as that's something I usually only have a weeks supply of.  :)

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #38494 on: March 05, 2020, 10:46:19 pm »
What I found interesting was that the big stores get a supply of toilet paper daily.  It is too bulky to store.
Cool and overcast today. Also having hair cut.
With the Coronavirus, we are in the most vulnerable group so when it arrives in Ballarat we will go in to lockdown.  We will also have our flu shots early. I estimate we can probably cope for 2 months without having to go out.  Medicines are our only concern and I think our Chemist delivers.

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #38495 on: March 06, 2020, 12:53:23 am »
You can have everyone line up at your gate, Chookie, and drop off 'Red Cross" parcels then you and Ral can stand on your balcony and wave regally at them  :)
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline mab19

• View Profile
« Reply #38496 on: March 06, 2020, 03:14:04 am »
I normally have a well stocked pantry but did buy a few extras.  Mainly flour, sugar, tea rice & pasta.  Also 2 pkts toilet paper then had to give 1 to DIL as they were out and of course there was none in the shops.
The  man who said it can't be done should not interupt the woman doing it.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38497 on: March 06, 2020, 06:08:49 am »
I haven't bought anything much yet. I was going to buy another bag of Bakers' flour as I'm just about to start my next one, but they were out of stock. I'm almost out of toilet paper too but can last another week or so, as I buy that in reasonably large amounts. I have come to an agreement with my brother who lives a 45 minute drive north of me that we will drop supplies into each others garage if needed.
DD's workplace has banned any international conferences etc  even if they have been approved.

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38498 on: March 06, 2020, 07:08:45 am »
Since I became a minimalist I shop maybe once a month down the aisles. I only shop around the outside and for fresh food maybe  every two weeks. I have exactly 4 rolls of toilet paper. One each on the holders and one extra in each toilet. I hope I do not get the shits any time soon. But should I, I am sure I will make do as millions of others who do not have the benefit or luxury of affording  toilet paper. More and more I find hoarding an anathema.

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38499 on: March 06, 2020, 07:56:18 pm »
I went grocery shopping with DS today. The supermarket shelves were completely empty of paracetamol, ibuprofen and bread flour. Apparently toilet rolls are flying off the shelves here too.
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #38500 on: March 07, 2020, 04:43:15 am »
Gert, I love your approach , but unfortunately it is not part of my nature.  Think it runs in the family.  My GM always had lots of tin in her pantry.  She had come through the depression and 2 Wars.
Yes, the Chemist does deliver.
Mild and moderately warm.
Looking after DD dogs as she is up the mountains at a bike ride event. 

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38501 on: March 07, 2020, 07:08:08 am »
My mother was the same. When I asked her why she overloaded the cupboards she gave me the same excuse, “ your father was one of 9 during the depression” and
 did not have enough food. My smart ass reply was all the more reason to not hoard as we now had plenty and we should share. My mother was not impressed. I am now down to 2 and 3/4 rolls of toilet paper  It will then be down to the tissues.

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38502 on: March 07, 2020, 07:26:01 am »
Good on you Gert. I admire you.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #38503 on: March 07, 2020, 12:04:59 pm »
Several years ago the Gas for Melbourne went out.  I was overseas at that time.  My mother used gas for most of her cooking.  DS went to our house and collected all the electrical appliances and took them to mums.  The Bread machine was used to make bread for all the neighbours.  It was bread that most were missing not toilet paper.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #38504 on: March 07, 2020, 10:30:27 pm »
It's crazy the way some people are reacting.  I saw a video where 2 women in a Sydney supermarket were physically fighting each other for toilet rolls, I just can't believe it.  :o

Am loving this autumn weather we've been having.  Cold nights for sleeping and early morning walks which then grow into a lovely warm, sunny day, just perfect for me.  ;D