Author Topic: Choolate Cake made with coconut flour and coconut oil.  (Read 13804 times)

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
Choolate Cake made with coconut flour and coconut oil.
« on: February 13, 2010, 07:30:04 am »
Anita,  my consultant,  made this cake ,  converted from a recipe by Bruce Fife,(2005) "Cooking with Coconut Flour:  A
delicious low-carb,  Gluten Free Alternative to Wheat, Picadilly Books Ltd., Colorado Springs USA.
It was a moist cake with a slight coconut  flavor.   It needed no icing,  and could be used as a cake or as a sweet with a fruit sauce.

110g coconut oil
40g cocoa powder
50mls of coconut cream
3/4 teaspoons of salt
90g coconut flour
3/4 teaspoons of baking powder
250g raw sugar
9 eggs (yes nine )
1 teaspoon vanilla essence.

Melt coconut oil at 50, speed 2, for 1 minute or longer until melted
Add all remaining ingredients and mix at speed 5 for 30 seconds.
Pour into a greased 20x20x5cm. baking tin.

Bake at 175 for 35 mins or until cake tester comes out clean.
Cool on rack,  Ice if you wish.

Baking tip...Coconut oil should be melted but not hot

Offline katesjoy

• View Profile
Re: Choolate Cake made with coconut flour and coconut oil.
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2010, 09:18:29 am »
Ok dumb question - do you just grind up coconut to get coconut flour?  Sounds like a yummy cake, and my gluten free friend at work was drooling over the hazelnut version of mud cake today - so would love to be able to offer her a yummy alternative.  But gee, these gluten free recipes sure are heavy on the eggs!

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2010, 12:29:24 pm »
No Katesjoy, it seems that coconut flour is quite different.  It is imported by  Kokonut Pacific  Pty. Ltd.  Phone (02) 6254 5606.
You may be interested in the waffles which I adapted to use coconut flour ( on my blog),  as someone else has used Spelt flour instead of S.R flour in the recipe and said it was very good.   Also,  Anita has converted a recipe for Blueberry Muffins.   I haven't posted it as I haven't tried them.   But if you are prepared to have a go I could put it on the Forum .

Offline katesjoy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2010, 10:51:34 pm »
Thanks chookie.  As soon as l can get my hands on some coconut flour l'd definitly give it a go.  Blueberry muffins are a favourite of mine.

Offline katesjoy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2010, 06:44:36 am »
Aha, now know how to make coconut flour - shall be making this cake post haste.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2010, 12:16:02 pm »
An interesting cake Chookie. wow, 9 eggs. Wish I had some chooks.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline bartoncs

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2010, 06:51:21 am »
coconut flour is made from defatted coconut (probably the stuff left over after extracting coconut oil.

Fresh coconut (or even dessicated) would still contain the fat so would not make a good flour. I tried to do this once for a coconut flour bread but all the egg sort of sank to the bottom and it wasn't very good.

You can get coconut flour from healthfood shops however online would probably be cheaper.

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2010, 07:11:56 am »
i've never seen it anywhere
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2010, 10:33:29 am »
Right girls,  here is the information I have on Coconut flour and oil.   They are both imported by Kokonut Pacific Pty, Ltd. Phone (02)
6254 5606.  HYPERLINK "http://www.niulife.com"   There is a book by Bruce Fife (2005),   Cooking with Coconut Flour: A Delicious Low -carb, Gluten -Free Alternative to Wheat,  Picadilly Books Ltd.  Colorado Springs,  USA.   I believe a packet of 500g is about $7.   I dont think it would be worth trying to make some myself.  You have to make it out of fresh coconut.   I have a packet and you use very little in each recipe.   It soaks up fluid and you have to compensate  for this,  also,  in cakes you need lots of eggs to give volume.  Today I made Muesli and added some coconut flour.  All sorts of health claims are made for the flour and oil.   If half are true then this 70 year old,  will be acting like a 30 year old very soon.  :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))

I have a recipe for Blueberry Muffins if you are interested .

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2010, 11:46:04 am »
 If half are true then this 70 year old,  will be acting like a 30 year old very soon.  :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))

Lucky DH  :D :D :D
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2010, 11:57:42 am »
ROFL ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Moonmobile

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2010, 04:22:03 am »
If you live in Brisbane you can buy Coconut flour etc from Mrs Flannery's health food stores. In fact I'm going there right now as I want to make this cake this afternoon!!

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2010, 05:57:17 am »
Go for it Moonmobile,  let us know what you think. :P :P :P

Offline Moonmobile

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2010, 04:28:25 am »
Well I rushed out and eagerly got all the coconut ingredients from Mrs Flannery's and made the cake. But I was a bit disappointed. :(

The original recipe specifies 250g of raw sugar. I substituted 210g xylitol. I think this is probably why this cake was disappointing. I also forgot to add the vanilla. The cooking time in the original recipe was 35 minutes but I had to cook it for 50 minutes. It wasn’t quite sweet enough and was rather dry and heavy. It certainly rose well enough.

My friends seemed not to be too worried by any of this however and gobbled it down with liberal lashings of cream.

I will have to put this down as yet another failed entry in my epic quest to find delicious gluten-free and sugar-free desserts. I need to do some further research on how to make xylitol work in making cakes. So far it has been fine with making icecream.

If anybody out there has been using xylotil for baking and has any tips - I would love to hear them! I'm not keen on stevia as it has a funny taste (IMHO). Any other non artificial sugar substitutes that people like?

On the up side, this is the first cake I have made with the thermomix and I was hugely impressed by the fact that I could melt the coconut butter in the TM bowl keeping it at a perfect temperature for a fixed period, then just add each ingredient - which the TM was able to weigh separately - to the same bowl. Then there was the really quick mixing time...

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2010, 05:09:10 am »
Moonmobile,  I think it must be the sugar sub. that was the problem.   The slice that I tasted was moist. Perhaps slightly under  cooked.  Let us know how you go with the sugar sub.