Author Topic: What's for Dinner Tonight?  (Read 5210796 times)

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
Re: What's for Dinner Tonight?
« Reply #585 on: May 15, 2011, 01:24:12 pm »
I made a Jamie Oliver recipe for Steak & Guinness pies about 10 days ago and froze 2 of the unbaked pies which we had for tea tonight with mash & peas.  The photo is a little blurry from the steam when I cut into the pie.

I also made individual  lemon surprise puddings (made 6) which were lovely, but for some reason seemed sweeter this time around so will cut back on the sugar a bit next time.

Judy if you see this, they took about 40 mins in a 180C oven, but I did have to open the oven door a few times for the pies.  Made them in a couple of different type of containers.  Great recipe.  :)

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #586 on: May 15, 2011, 07:09:03 pm »
oh julie O yum yum yum and great photos (pity the pie is a little blurry but im still getting the yumminess lol)..one thing i really enjoy is homemade meat pies..how did you form the pies julieO they look so perfect...mine usually have corrigated type edging as they are the only individual size tins I have found here ..would be interested what you use julieO  :) :) :) :)
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #587 on: May 16, 2011, 01:12:02 am »
Thanks Frozzie.  I have about a dozen pie tins like these.  They are the perfect size and I freeze the unbaked pies in them.  Being non-stick means I don't have to grease them either.  :D

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: May 16, 2011, 01:39:39 am »
Thanks Julie - surprised the puddings took that long but they do look better served individually.  Love your pies too.
Bakers Secret also have the oval shaped pie tins too Frozzie.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline maddy

• View Profile
« Reply #589 on: May 16, 2011, 01:49:22 am »
Just gorgeous photo's Julie!   The food just leaps off the screen!
I love the enamel? mugs for the puddings......I want pie and lemon pudding NOW:P
.........EAT CAKE!

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #590 on: May 16, 2011, 04:08:05 am »
Judy. I would only go by my time as a guide as I was doing other things and didn't take too much attention lof them to be honest, just kept checking to see when they turned golden and sprung back when touched in the middle.

Yes I have 4 of the oval shaped tins too but they seemed to make quite big pies from my memory.  Maybe I should try them again to see.  I really want to make some chicken ones soon.  Pies are great to have in the freezer, so much nicer than any bought pie. ;D

Thanks Maddy, yes they are enamel mugs.  :D

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: May 16, 2011, 04:54:28 am »
My mouth is watering too JulieO. They all look lovely.
WE only eat homemade pies, I am always scared of what is in bought ones.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #592 on: May 16, 2011, 06:08:49 am »
thanks julieO will look into them online as they are perfect and thanks JD for the tip re oval ones too  :)

cookie i too love homemade and my family has only ever had homemade as you cant get them over here anyway and I too am a bit scared about buying them..only time I ever did in oz was at certain bakerys who made them in house fresh and even that wasnt that often..i have a great WW recipe for meat pies (mince ones) that taste delish and you can add whatever, onion, mushroom, curry etc etc..ok have to get some of these tins and make me some more pies  :) :)
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: May 17, 2011, 12:27:30 pm »
We had fish, chips and TMX coleslaw for dinner tonight. I caught a lovely big cod this morning. It will probably be the same tomorrow night.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #594 on: May 17, 2011, 12:45:32 pm »
lucky you cookie - I just paid $30 for some snapper, and I bet yours is much nicer  :)
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline TM_Ted

• Ted is from Woodville in Sth Aust.
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: May 20, 2011, 01:12:22 pm »
Tonight we had Thai - Larp Gai. I could not find a TMX recipe so we made it up as we went along. It turned out as we expected, and we made lots of notes about how to do what next time.

Had difficulty toasting the Jasmine Rice, even on Varoma temperature it didn't seem the TMX was hot enough. Think there was sufficient to dry the grains but the grinding then took a little longer than expected. Normally we toast them to a golden brown in a little frypan on the stove.

I was worried about how to handle the Chicken mince but that worked itself out by extending the cook time. Next time I will just use skinless Chicken Breast and get the smallest kitchen in the world to mince it.

We both enjoyed it. I had mine wrapped in a Lettuce leaf and DW had hers on a bed of shredded lettuce. Gemma will definitely not be getting the leftovers. She is too busy eating the last of the Cream Puffs from a few days ago, she does not mind if they are a little soggy.
Life is too short to drink bad wine.

Offline Zan

• View Profile
    • My Thermomix Blog
« Reply #596 on: May 20, 2011, 02:38:19 pm »
Julie, I'd also love that pasta recipe.

Tonight we had Friday night soup night - chicken and vegetable soup tonight.

Stock and soup made in the tmx. (vague recipe for the soup on my blog)
As we are in and out a lot on a Friday night I and the kids are really enjoying soup night this winter.
So far all winners.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #597 on: May 20, 2011, 11:56:41 pm »
Done Zan, should be in your inbox.  :)

Offline maddy

• View Profile
« Reply #598 on: May 22, 2011, 10:13:43 am »
Julie O's chowder   http://www.forumthermomix.com/index.php?topic=2067.0
& a pizza sub.

.........EAT CAKE!

Offline TM_Ted

• Ted is from Woodville in Sth Aust.
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: May 23, 2011, 02:21:33 am »
Last night we had Italian Chilli Braised Pork Chops with TMX Mashed Potatoes. The Pork recipe came from the WW Pressure Cooker Book but as I just had some Pork Chops I browned them on the cooktop and then braised in the oven. DW has told me we are having this dish again this week, we have more Pork Chops and it was so good.
Life is too short to drink bad wine.