Author Topic: Ajos Confitados (Preserved Garlic)  (Read 9360 times)

Offline JuliaBalbilla

• View Profile
Ajos Confitados (Preserved Garlic)
« on: December 17, 2011, 12:33:00 pm »
Name of Recipe:  Ajos Confitados (Preserved Garlic) - not tested yet

Serves:  Not stated

Ingredients:
500g extra virgin olive oil
500g garlic, peeled

Preparation: 
Tip the ingredients into the  *:  and set 20 minutes / Temp. Varoma /   :-:   / Speed   ^^ .
At the end of the process, place the garlic in a glass jar (I would suggest a Kilner-type jar) and cover with the oil.
Any remaining oil can be used in sauces, on pizzas or toast.

Tips/Hints: Garlic prepared like this is more digestible and can be used in larger quantities to add aroma and flavour to many recipes.

Origin:  This is a translation of a recipe in Thermomix TM31 – Imprescindible para tu cocina which is the book supplied with Spanish TMXs.

Rosemary from Bournemouth formerly Gloucestershire

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
Re: Ajos Confitados (Preserved Garlic)
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2011, 01:51:46 pm »
 thank JB , its very similar to the garlic confit that i make   
i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline Amanda

• View Profile
    • Lambs Ears and Honey
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2012, 04:56:02 am »
Am just wondering if 20 minutes is long enough?
I want the garlic confit'd so might need to cook for longer?
What recipe do you use Fundj?
Freelance food/travel writer. Lives in the Adelaide hills and writes a food blog - http://www.lambsearsandhoney.com

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
    • Books, Cooks, Gadgets and Gardening
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2012, 05:59:36 am »
There is one problem with this and that is the time and heat is not enough to kill botulism spores  and unless the  garlic in oil is stored immediately below  35° F.  (1.6 C)  it can produce toxins.

Garlic in oil has to be heated at least to 240° F (115.6° C.) and held at that temperature for a minimum of 20 minutes (after it reaches that temp) to be sure of killing all spores.

Even better is canning under pressure AFTER cooking.   15 pounds pressure for 15 minutes.  It can then be stored at room temp.

There was a significant outbreak of botulism poisoning from garlic-infused oil in Vancouver, BC a few years ago - prepared at a restaurant. 
I'm not OverWeight, I'm UnderTall!
My Blog: http://www.asenjigalblogs.com/

Offline courton

• View Profile
    • Blendstyle
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2012, 09:34:20 am »
Andie, I am just about to make your preserved lemons tomorrow...how do I sterilize the glass jar? Your expert assistance would be appreciated!

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2012, 05:45:40 pm »
Andie, I am just about to make your preserved lemons tomorrow...how do I sterilize the glass jar? Your expert assistance would be appreciated!

Pour boiling water into it in the sink until it runs over the top - pour out the water and invert it on a clean towel or paper towel.

pour boiling water over the lid - if it is a metal lid you will have to cover the top of the jar with plastic wrap before applying the lid - if it's a plastic lid, just let it drain until ready to close the jar.

Offline courton

• View Profile
    • Blendstyle
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2012, 01:09:39 am »
Thank you :) :) :)

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2012, 01:17:21 am »
There is one problem with this and that is the time and heat is not enough to kill botulism spores  and unless the  garlic in oil is stored immediately below  35° F.  (1.6 C)  it can produce toxins.

Garlic in oil has to be heated at least to 240° F (115.6° C.) and held at that temperature for a minimum of 20 minutes (after it reaches that temp) to be sure of killing all spores.

Even better is canning under pressure AFTER cooking.   15 pounds pressure for 15 minutes.  It can then be stored at room temp.

There was a significant outbreak of botulism poisoning from garlic-infused oil in Vancouver, BC a few years ago - prepared at a restaurant. 

So glad you've pointed this out, Andie . . .quite frankly, I think I'd prefer to stick to fresh garlic (with the TMX why wouldn't you? ;D)  I've heard this before and since then have always been wary of "preserving" things in oil . . . vinegar yes . . . but this is scary stuff unless you know exactly what you're doing!  Thank you!!

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2012, 02:00:07 am »
I routinely oven-roast garlic in oil but I remove the garlic, chill and refrigerate it (in a tightly sealed container to protect everything else in the fridge).

I then transfer the oil to a deep pot (or an electric fryer) and bring it up to 300° F.  and hold it at that temp for 15 minutes.  I then store it at room temp.  

The roasted garlic becomes very sweet and almost like candy, great for adding to any dish either before or after cooking - great added to a salad, especially the  tomato and bread salads.

Offline courton

• View Profile
    • Blendstyle
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2012, 03:05:41 am »
Andie, is the lemon juice squeezed from the lemons meant to cover all the lemons. I have only managed to squeeze  1 inch of juice.

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2012, 04:07:35 am »
Andie, is the lemon juice squeezed from the lemons meant to cover all the lemons. I have only managed to squeeze  1 inch of juice.

You may have to squeeze some more lemons to top up the jar and cover all the lemons.  Some lemons contain more juice than others.  Microwaving a whole lemon for 15 seconds on high will produce more juice.

Offline courton

• View Profile
    • Blendstyle
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2012, 05:14:33 am »
Have followed your advice and now it is sitting on the counter top waiting to be shaken everyday. Thanks for your prompt advice :)