Author Topic: Pantry Tuna Dish  (Read 36937 times)

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
Pantry Tuna Dish
« on: January 29, 2012, 07:04:03 pm »
I have another quick recipe for tuna that my family call Pantry Tuna Dish. Sounds dreadful, but it's delicious!

1 x can tuna in spring water, drained, reserve juice
1 x  450g can corn
1 x 450g can spaghetti
500ml white sauce made in TMX, using reserved tuna liquid

Mix all together, top with cheese and breadcrumbs and bake for 20 minutes or so until bubbling. I also add lemon pepper and lemon juice for extra 'zing'.

Members' comments
JD - I love this recipe.  I've served it over rice, made it as a pie with a potato topping or just eaten it as a tuna mornay. I've used canned spaghetti or this recipe if I have some in the freezer. I usually make it in individual ramekins and freeze them for a quick meal. 

Curly66 - I make a cheat of my mums best curried tuna and spaghetti that is my childhood favorite.. She's spends about 45 minutes making it with pots and pans.  I boil the kettle, put half a bag of macaroni into the thermo server and leave until done.  I make a cheesy, lots of curry powder and lemon juice white sauce in the thermie, after chopping onion and garlic first.  By the time that's done I chuck in the tuna including juice and just let it mix a bit and then bung all a casserole dish and mix, add cheese on top and put in pre heated oven until golden and bubbly..  Takes no time at all and no standing there stirring!
« Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 03:07:08 am by judydawn »
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Online judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Pantry Tuna Dish
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2013, 03:14:55 am »
I have just moved this recipe from a thread called Challenge #5 - 4 ingredients or less where MJ posted this recipe.  I was browsing for something last night and came across this recipe so though it deserved a place of it's own as I have just made it for lunch and a few more meals down the track  :-))  Mum can have the little ones.

It really is very tasty and the kids should love it, well not just the kids, I loved it too.  Served on rice.  Thanks MJ, you'll probably be surprised to see the recipe here  ;D
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2013, 01:22:48 pm »
Yes, JD, I am! It's best served on it's own with lots of lemon juice and lemon pepper. I wouldn't serve it with rice as it already has the starch of the tinned spaghetti in it.
It's my FIL's favourite meal.
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2013, 03:34:21 am »
sounds good MJ.  :)
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Online judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2014, 03:05:26 am »
Made this recipe into pot pies with a mashed potato topping today.

Offline curly66

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2014, 07:37:11 am »
I make a cheat of my mums best curried tuna and spaghetti that is my childhood favorite.. She's spends about 45 minutes making it with pots and pans.  I boil the kettle, put half a bag of macaroni into the thermo server and leave until done.  I make a cheesy, lots of curry powder and lemon juice white sauce in the thermie, after chopping onion and garlic first.  By the time that's done I chuck in the tuna including juice and just let it mix a bit and then bung all a casserole dish and mix, add cheese on top and put in pre heated oven until golden and bubbly..  Takes no time at all and no standing there stirring!

Online judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2014, 09:21:02 am »
Has Mum seen you make it curly?  It would be an eye opener for her for sure  ;D

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2014, 11:30:12 am »
Curly that sounds rather nice. I never cease to be amazed at how quickly the thermomix does things for us.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline curly66

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2014, 01:52:28 pm »
No sadly..  I'm nursing her through terminal cancer which although she's a 26 year 2 time survivor, this 3rd time it's a matter of time..  I've taken a lot of my appliances down there to make it easier for me to cook, I just cannot deal with pots and pans anymore, can't believe I haven't lugged thermie down yet because when I have some home time I want it here too...LOL

Online judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2014, 02:09:01 pm »
Sorry to hear about Mum Curly but at the same time it's lovely to know that you're there for her when she needs you.  Sending kind thoughts to you both.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2014, 03:25:37 pm »
I'm sorry too Curly to hear about your Mum.Sending best wishes and kind thoughts to you both.
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline curly66

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2014, 08:52:42 pm »
Thank you both..  I'm off this morning again.  Keen to take thermie now, she is fascinated by it..!!

Online judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2017, 02:13:38 pm »
Made this for the freezer again but this time I used a packet cheese sauce (it makes 250 mls) as I wanted to test it for a friend who wouldn't make her own sauce. I worked out that the calorie count using the packet sauce is just under 200 calories per serve so it's a good one for the 5:2 fast day.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2017, 07:16:35 am »
A good one Judy.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/