Author Topic: Sour Dough pancakes  (Read 5394 times)

Offline ElleG

• View Profile
Sour Dough pancakes
« on: May 24, 2014, 12:37:13 pm »
This is a great easy recipe using up some SD starter, as thanks to Chookie's method, the SD starter is still going strong. I have adapted this recipe from the website Whatscookingamerica, and they had adapted it from Alaska Sourdough by Ruth Allman. The original recipe was doubled (except for the egg) and had much more sugar.

Preheat a small non stick frying pan on medium heat.

Mix 1 cup of Sour Dough Starter, 1 teaspoon sugar, 2 tabs oil,1/4 teaspoon salt and 1 egg together in a bowl.

Wen ready to cook add 1/2 teaspoon of bicarb soda with 1/2 tabs warm water until dissolved.

Stir through pancake mixture, and cook immediately.

Makes 6 pancakes 1/3 cup each. Very light and fluffy. I don't add oil to the frypan as my pan doesn't stick. Others may need to add butter or oil to ensure they don't stick.

This recipe has fast become a favourite, we usually eat 2 pancakes each, so have leftovers. Served with yogurt, seeds and berries and bananas.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Sour Dough pancakes
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2014, 02:29:25 pm »
Must try that Elle, thanks for posting it.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2014, 06:29:34 pm »
ElleG,  this is good to know.  You can make muffins the same way,  but must use the batter immediately.  Crumpets are good also as are waffles.   Today I am trying some pasta with SD, Rye flour and herbs.  Needs to sit overnight. 
Glad you SD is going OK. 

Offline ElleG

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2014, 09:21:39 pm »
Chookie, I have a muffin recipe I am going to try out today. This recipe is made into a sponge first, let rise then has the other ingredients added. If it is successful I will post.

Also about to add the remaining ingredients to a sponge that has been rising since yesterday for a no knead bread. My TM is on its way back after repairs, so have taken the opportunity to experiment. If we ever get away on holidays I can take the SD starter.  :D

JD hope you enjoy them. I find left overs freeze well, and reheat easily.

Chookie, the SD is  life changing for me. I add the biohawk, so it is low gluten. I find I can eat the SD bread without reacting or putting on weight. All other breads, I put on weight very quickly. So I truly thank you for your fool proof method on making it - I have done lots of research, and the way you have taught is a winner  ;D

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2014, 12:18:25 am »
ElleG - thanks for this.  Will make them today!  Very interesting to look into the Biohawk products for bread, etc.. . .
http://www.biohawk.com.au/recipes.html
« Last Edit: May 25, 2014, 01:32:30 am by goldfish »

Offline ElleG

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2014, 12:43:22 am »
Goldfish, I will be interested to see how you like them.

I have no affiliation with Biohawk,but am very impressed with how well my food intolerances have been calmed down. Can even have a glass of wine without that dreaded neck and face flushing  ;D
Elle

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2014, 01:23:59 am »
I've just made these for breakfast, me making pancakes for brekky is very unusual here ;D   They were so delicious, I ate 3, burnt 1,have 2 spares and I ate them rolled up with maple syrup as they were cooked  :-))  Thanks Elle, I love different recipes using my sour dough - quick and easy, got to love that.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2014, 02:02:12 am »
Elle this is all good news for you.  The muffin recipe is similar to your pancake one.  I also have a recipe for pastry made with SD. They are all from a book, The Nourished Kitchen , by Jennifer Mc Gruther.  She has some most unusual recipes and a philosophy that might suit you.  She also has an award winning web site.
Judy,  nothing like spoiling yourself,  especially at breakfast.  
Elle,  I posted a SD pancake recipe a couple of years ago.  Bit different to yours,  but makes a light lacy crepe.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2014, 02:24:27 am by judydawn »

Offline ElleG

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2014, 04:41:56 am »
I've just made these for breakfast, me making pancakes for brekky is very unusual here ;D   They were so delicious, I ate 3, burnt 1,have 2 spares and I ate them rolled up with maple syrup as they were cooked  :-))  Thanks Elle, I love different recipes using my sour dough - quick and easy, got to love that.
Wow, JD really pleased you enjoyed them ;D
Chookie, I have copied your SD pancake recipe and will try them for a change when my TM arrives home. Your pasta sounds interesting, i have never tried pasta making.I will also check out the Nourished Kitchen thanks.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2014, 05:36:23 am »
Ellie,  will certainly try your pancakes. 
Had the Herb,SD and Rye pasta for lunch.  Worked well.  Will post.  Pasta machine makes  it easy,  but could easily be rolled by hand.