Author Topic: THE SHOPPING THREAD :-)  (Read 4478380 times)

Offline troupie

• View Profile
Re: THE SHOPPING THREAD :-)
« Reply #14880 on: June 13, 2016, 10:14:46 am »
I would have loved a dryer when we lived in Northam and the children were small but couldn't afford one until we returned to Perth to live and now it is just used for finishing off things if they feel a bit damp in the winter. It also fluffs up the towels and makes them nice and soft as our water here, from local bores, is a bit hard on the towels.

Went out today to buy a new microwave and came home with two sets of nice thick towels instead. Microwave will wait for another day; its only used to heat the what bag for DH anyway.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #14881 on: June 13, 2016, 10:09:25 pm »
We have a dryer at Cherokee but hardly ever use it, in spite of the fact that it is cold and damp for several months.  Most things are dried overnight near the combustion stove.
At Invermay we are still working out how to use the environment . Big verandas and ducted heating in Winter seems to work. Clothes line in Summer.
I have been told that in America, it is seen as a sign of poverty to hang your clothes out side to dry.
Troupie, we bought our Microwave last year on a Mothers Day special. If not in a hurry for one maybe this would be worth waiting for.

Offline Katj

• View Profile
« Reply #14882 on: June 13, 2016, 11:53:36 pm »
Chookie, I lived in America for 3 years. We had a dryer as we were living in an apartment.
When we stayed with MIL, she had a dryer, but also had an old fashioned line out in the yard, you could lower or raise it by shifting the post that the line was attached to. (I'm sure a lot of us remember those). I always used the outside line because I love the wind and sun dried clothes. I had a dryer when my 4 kids were small but haven't had one for a very long time.

Offline Katj

• View Profile
« Reply #14883 on: June 14, 2016, 12:06:50 am »
DH and I went to one of the new Aldi stores today. I had been to one in Melbourne and not overly impressed. We needed to go out for other things so headed to Joondalup. All we bought at Aldi was small tubs of cat food because they were very cheap. Our puss is fussy (as are most cats) so I didn't go crazy in case she hated it. As it turns out she loved the first one we opened., so we may have to visit Aldi again sometime to stock up. I looked for that lovely bakeware that someone posted a picture of a few weeks back, but they had nothing like that much to my disappointment.
On the way hone we stopped at a bulk food place to stock up and bought a copy of Tenina's new book, haven't had a chance to look at it yet.

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #14884 on: June 14, 2016, 04:27:39 am »
This is really getting off subject, and I apologise but just can't stop myself.  When my cousin and his wife were living in USA they walked to a party at their neighbour's house and were actually stopped by the cops for walking (in a fairly affluent area)!

MODERATORS:  If you feel that this is going well and truly out of order for this thread I would not be surprised at all if you felt you should delete it.

Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14885 on: June 14, 2016, 04:52:34 am »
What a laugh. It's hard to believe. Thanks Marina.

The Aldi near us isn't open but looks as though it could any day.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #14886 on: June 14, 2016, 06:23:29 am »
The cookware at Aldi was amazing. Checked it out last weekend. $26 for a large heavy cast iron pot with lid. I bought one a couple of years ago and cook my 1 minute bread in it. I have the genuine French ones and other than the colour can see very little difference. I was very tempted.

Offline trudy

• View Profile
« Reply #14887 on: June 14, 2016, 10:07:32 am »
Had a laugh with your comments Marina!

Chookie, did you see their oven trays.  I brought a few of them and I am so happy with them.  Their bread flour is a good price!

Offline jeninwa

• View Profile
« Reply #14888 on: June 15, 2016, 01:37:12 am »
I haven't had a cloth dryer since we lived in PNG many years ago, it came with the furnished house we lived in. lol Even then I didn't use it much.
I just bought  TRTLMT new cookbook Mixing it slow. TM and slow cooker recipes. Just downloaded the ebook.
I child-proofed my house, but they still get in!

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14889 on: June 15, 2016, 01:50:12 am »
Let us know what the recipes are like Jeninwa. It sounds perfect for this time of year.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline troupie

• View Profile
« Reply #14890 on: June 15, 2016, 10:43:18 am »
I think I will wait for a microwave special Chookie;

Katj I do remember those clothes props; all my childhood that was the type of clothes line we had. Must try Aldi when I get the courage.

Offline consumerate

• View Profile
« Reply #14891 on: June 15, 2016, 01:37:00 pm »
Just a heads up for those considering the Aldi (Crofton branded) cast iron. It is very good and an excellent price but it is the heaviest cast iron I've ever encountered. If you're looking at it in the shop pick it up and imagine hefting it in and out of the oven for example. I was donated an item from an older relative who found it too heavy to use.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #14892 on: June 15, 2016, 11:00:08 pm »
Just a heads up for those considering the Aldi (Crofton branded) cast iron. It is very good and an excellent price but it is the heaviest cast iron I've ever encountered. If you're looking at it in the shop pick it up and imagine hefting it in and out of the oven for example. I was donated an item from an older relative who found it too heavy to use.

Yes they are heavy, but no heavier than the French ones. When I first bought the French ones , ( I have 5 different sizes and shapes) , I thought they might be too heavy, but after using them have become quite used to the weight.
Trudy, I haven't noticed the trays or the flour. Will look.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 12:24:30 am by judydawn »

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #14893 on: June 18, 2016, 06:30:14 am »
Just a couple of things I've bought this week.  Sorry for the size of photos, they appear to be bigger than I thought.  ???

This has been bought for a specific night out that we're going to in Adelaide in a month's time.  Supposed to be a loose fit, but I hope it's not too baggy.  Was advised to order the size 8, so if it's too big then I can't go down any smaller.  Fingers crossed. (not the clearest of photos).

I just loved the colour and fall of this top.  Hope it fits as nice.

The leather jacket arrived on Thursday, it's just beautiful, so happy with it.

I bought these boots in Adelaide when we were there 2 or 3 weeks ago.  I said at the time they were the most comfortable boots/shoes I've ever worn. The arch support is wonderful, so comfortable.   I ordered the tan ones yesterday.  Will post the link in case anyone is interested.  :D

https://frankie4.com.au/shop/boots/vanessa-2/?pa_colour=black

I also got a pair of tan and white sandals and lovely black wedges from Frankie4's too for summer.  I think I'd better stop there.  ;D

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14894 on: June 18, 2016, 08:48:52 am »
Great shopping Julie.Its all fabulous. 8)
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.