Author Topic: What are you cooking today?  (Read 8984601 times)

Offline mab19

• View Profile
Re: What are you cooking today?
« Reply #25695 on: March 31, 2015, 12:19:52 am »
Nice food McMich.
The  man who said it can't be done should not interupt the woman doing it.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25696 on: March 31, 2015, 01:18:39 am »
Arancini without deep frying, I like that Michele.  Good one.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #25697 on: March 31, 2015, 05:45:56 am »
I've never had Arachini.  They look really nice Mcmich.  ;D

In readiness for the weekend and the endless cuppas we seem to have, I made another batch of the lovely jam coconut slice off this forum.  It is perfect for slicing into squares and freezing.  I found all it takes when wanting a piece is to put one on a rack in the microwave and heat for 20 secs on high.  It makes it very slightly warm but doesn't make the pastry go soggy at all, perfect when wanting one when you hadn't planned on it.  ;D
I only had a little desiccated coconut left from last time so I had to use shredded in place of.  :)  Photo taken in dappled sunlight.

I also made this from one of my favourite blogs: http://www.recipetineats.com/baked-spinach-ricotta-rotolo/

Have made it before and DH loved it. (made my own pasta).  Today  I made it up to the point of pouring over the tomato sauce which didn't completly cover it.  I then wrapped the dish and froze it and when needed on the weekend, I can defrost and bake, adding some roasted tomato & garlic sauce I always have in the freezer before adding the cheese.  Will make for an easy and tasty meal for everyone.  8)

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25698 on: March 31, 2015, 09:40:58 am »
Julie could you post the Roasted Tomato and Garlic recipe please. :D

Great photo of your coconut slice 8)
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #25699 on: March 31, 2015, 10:19:42 am »
Here you go Cornish.  I make this lots, especially when I can pick up romas cheaply.  I make sure they are lovely and ripe so they have full flavour.  I freeze in 500ml lots. :)

SLOW ROASTED TOMATO & RED WINE SAUCE  makes about 4 cups
Great with meatballs or use as a pasta sauce – delicious!

About 2.5 – 3kg roma tomatoes, halved lengthways
15 garlic cloves (skin on) (or less if particularly large)
1 cup full-bodied red wine
20ml balsamic vinegar
1 tsp sugar
salt & pepper
2 onions, chopped

Preheat the oven to 160°C. Get out 2 large baking trays, no need to oil or line with paper.

Place tomatoes, cut-side up, on the baking trays.
Drizzle the unpeeled garlic with oil in a bowl and toss to coat.  Add to the baking trays, pushing in between the tomatoes. Grind with salt & pepper.  Roast for 60-75 mins or until tomatoes are soft. Cool slightly.

After putting the toms in the oven, heat a sauté pan with a little oil, then add the onions.  Get them simmering, then turn down heat to lowest setting and let cook, stirring now and then until golden and tender.  You may need to add a little more oil as you go. Could take 30 mins or so.

When you are happy with the onions, turn up the heat and add the red wine and let bubble for a min or so.  Turn the heat back down and let simmer until almost all gone.  Turn off the heat.

When toms are cool enough to handle, pull off the skins, they should come off easily and drop the flesh into the TM bowl.  Squeeze the garlic from their skins into the bowl as well.  Process 30 secs/speed 10 until smooth.

Scrape in the onions, add balsamic, sugar and a little more salt & pepper. 
Whiz  20 secs/Reverse + speed 3 until everything is combined.
Heat 20 mins/100C/Reverse + speed 3.
Check seasoning and sweetness.   Let cool.

Offline troupie

• View Profile
« Reply #25700 on: March 31, 2015, 10:27:57 am »
I made Gerts Sledging biscuits and Lunchbox Cookies without the smarties and also some toasted muesli (I think it was Chookies conversion from Dish).

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25701 on: March 31, 2015, 11:29:51 am »
Thanks for the recipe Julie, it sounds very tasty.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25702 on: March 31, 2015, 11:56:38 am »
Everyone has been very busy.
JulieO I have pasted a copy of your recipe in the Condiments and Sauces section. I know that I would never be able to find it when it wanted and thought others may be the same.  :)
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #25703 on: March 31, 2015, 12:47:27 pm »
I'm currently waiting for Thermomixers Pea & Ham soup to cook. I was really annoyed that I couldn't find any ham or bacon bones. I found these smoked bacon bones from C*les but it contained nitrate and there is no meat at all on them. I think they fed them to the dogs before packaging them up, but I bought them as I had everything else needed. Does anyone know if you can buy nitrate free bacon in butchers or is that more of a farmers market thing? or is there no such thing as nitrate free bacon (I just don't like the sound of it)
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25704 on: March 31, 2015, 12:51:08 pm »
Here you go Cornish.  I make this lots, especially when I can pick up romas cheaply.  I make sure they are lovely and ripe so they have full flavour.  I freeze in 500ml lots. :)

SLOW ROASTED TOMATO & RED WINE SAUCE  makes about 4 cups
Great with meatballs or use as a pasta sauce – delicious!

About 2.5 – 3kg roma tomatoes, halved lengthways
15 garlic cloves (skin on) (or less if particularly large)
1 cup full-bodied red wine
20ml balsamic vinegar
1 tsp sugar
salt & pepper
2 onions, chopped

Preheat the oven to 160°C. Get out 2 large baking trays, no need to oil or line with paper.

Place tomatoes, cut-side up, on the baking trays.
Drizzle the unpeeled garlic with oil in a bowl and toss to coat.  Add to the baking trays, pushing in between the tomatoes. Grind with salt & pepper.  Roast for 60-75 mins or until tomatoes are soft. Cool slightly.

After putting the toms in the oven, heat a sauté pan with a little oil, then add the onions.  Get them simmering, then turn down heat to lowest setting and let cook, stirring now and then until golden and tender.  You may need to add a little more oil as you go. Could take 30 mins or so.

When you are happy with the onions, turn up the heat and add the red wine and let bubble for a min or so.  Turn the heat back down and let simmer until almost all gone.  Turn off the heat.

When toms are cool enough to handle, pull off the skins, they should come off easily and drop the flesh into the TM bowl.  Squeeze the garlic from their skins into the bowl as well.  Process 30 secs/speed 10 until smooth.

Scrape in the onions, add balsamic, sugar and a little more salt & pepper. 
Whiz  20 secs/Reverse + speed 3 until everything is combined.
Heat 20 mins/100C/Reverse + speed 3.
Check seasoning and sweetness.   Let cool.
Thank you Julie.You're a gem :-* :-*
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline consumerate

• View Profile
« Reply #25705 on: March 31, 2015, 12:59:55 pm »
I'm currently waiting for Thermomixers Pea & Ham soup to cook. I was really annoyed that I couldn't find any ham or bacon bones. I found these smoked bacon bones from C*les but it contained nitrate and there is no meat at all on them. I think they fed them to the dogs before packaging them up, but I bought them as I had everything else needed. Does anyone know if you can buy nitrate free bacon in butchers or is that more of a farmers market thing? or is there no such thing as nitrate free bacon (I just don't like the sound of it)

I'd try Mondo's, Torres (Lake St) or Elmars in Perth. Having said that, it's hard to commercially produce bacon products without nitrates and/or nitrites. Making your own bacon is fairly straight forward. See not quite nigella' website.  I have had great success with her homemade bacon recipe using a Weberq and a smoking box.  Does require fridge space and a bit of patience and time though. Happy to provide more advice to anyone interested.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25706 on: March 31, 2015, 07:28:33 pm »
When I went grocery shopping the supermarket had an offer on Strawberries.Remembering this recipe Roasted Cinnamon Strawberries I bought some.I made the recipe and they are delicious ;D

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #25707 on: March 31, 2015, 10:24:14 pm »
looks good CC :)
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25708 on: April 01, 2015, 12:58:57 am »
What did you serve them with Denise?  I don't remember that recipe.

Offline Decadent Dot

• View Profile
« Reply #25709 on: April 01, 2015, 04:46:23 am »
I made a batch of secret centre cupcakes for a leaving party. I used the Bimby chocolate recipe and the creamy vanilla frosting recipes here on the forum. The secret bit involves my bun tin with spikes. You can put all kinds of things on the spikes and the cake batter just rises around it. Here I used cherries.
DD (short for Dot) Nottinghamshire, England
Educate a girl and you educate a family!