Author Topic: Soft polenta - adapted from Maggie's Kitchen  (Read 7360 times)

Offline consumerate

• View Profile
Soft polenta - adapted from Maggie's Kitchen
« on: July 06, 2014, 05:53:29 am »
Name of Recipe: Soft polenta
Number of People: 3-4 as a side
Ingredients:
1.5 cups milk (whatever milk you usually use)
1 cup water
1 small fresh bay leaf
1/2 cup fine polenta
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
100g mascarpone
50g grated parmigiano reggiano

Preparation:
Put the butterfly in the thermomix.  Whole recipe is cooked with the measuring cup off.

Put the milk, water and bay leaf in the thermomix and set to reverse speed 1 at 100c for 8 minutes.  Keep an eye on it, you want to stop it when the temperature reaches 100c, this took about 8 minutes for me.  Cook for longer if you need to.

Let the milk/water/bay leaf mixture steep for 20 minutes.  When the 20 minutes is up take out the bay leaf.  I did this by straining the liquid through a sieve into a bowl.  Because you are cooking on reverse the bay leaf should stay whole.

Bring the milk and water back to 100c.  This took about 3 minutes for me at 100c reverse speed 1.  However, set the timer to 5 minutes so that you have time to pour in the polenta during this step.  Once the milk is at 100c slowly pour in the polenta and avoid hitting the top of the butterfly if you can. Add the salt as well.

Once all the polenta is in the thermomix cook for 25 minutes, reverse speed 1 at 90c.  Check it after 20 minutes to see if it is cooked to your liking. 

While the polenta is cooking put the mascarpone and grated parmigiano reggiano in a large bowl.

Once the polenta is cooked immediately tip it into the bowl with the mascarpone and cheese, mix together well and then serve.   

Service with:
I had this alongside pot-roasted rabbit with mustard and prunes.  It would be great with osso bucco or anything you might usually serve with pasta or mashed potatoes.

The original recipe has it with pan fried mushrooms.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2019, 08:55:53 am by consumerate »

Offline Bootobethin

• View Profile
Re: Soft polenta - adapted from Maggie's Kitchen
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2014, 06:52:39 am »
Yum!
Thank you for this adaptation and tips.
It is now on my to do list.

Offline Jamberie

• View Profile
Re:
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2014, 07:14:08 am »
Oh yum! I'm going to have to try this one too :)
I have a Facebook page with all things cooking, you'll find it here: https://www.facebook.com/What-Amber-Ate-1097437023601587/

Bonsai

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2014, 07:36:18 am »
This sounds really nice, thanks for sharing.

Offline consumerate

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2014, 10:07:32 am »
I left the salt out of the preparation. That should go in the thermomix at the same time as the polenta.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2014, 11:08:01 am »
I have added that to the recipe consumerate.  To modify a recipe, just click on modify, add the details then click on change to save it.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline consumerate

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2014, 01:57:11 pm »
Thanks Judy. I kept trying to do that but the modify screen only showed the default code rather than the text of my post. Perhaps because I am using safari on the iPad?

Anyway, made this again tonight. Forgot to set a temperature when I set the thermomix on with the polenta for 25 minutes. So the polenta mix swirled for 25 minutes not cooking. I then just set the temperature and cooked it for 25 minutes and it was, fortunately, fine.

Ate it with veal shin ragu which was an excellent pairing.