Author Topic: ipad vs kindle?  (Read 31116 times)

Offline Amanda

• View Profile
    • Lambs Ears and Honey
Re: ipad vs kindle?
« Reply #75 on: October 15, 2011, 01:53:58 pm »
I have just found out that I can download library books onto it for free! ;D

Amanda can you tell me more about this please.

Sorry to be late getting back to you on this - I've been away.  This is just something i saw on a sign in my library the other day - I have yet to look into it.
Will let you know when I do.

Freelance food/travel writer. Lives in the Adelaide hills and writes a food blog - http://www.lambsearsandhoney.com

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 15, 2011, 02:04:23 pm »
I'm able to borrow books from different libraries via the overdrive app, I'm assumingi will still need toread those on my iPad rathervthan the kind.

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 15, 2011, 05:55:45 pm »
who is the author and is it The Room or Room as there are several titles????
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 15, 2011, 10:01:55 pm »
Room is by Emma Donoghue. Not sure if I got Before I go to Sleep right earlier, it's the first book by SJWatson and we all loved it.

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #79 on: October 15, 2011, 10:40:21 pm »
i've borrowed heaps of library books, they are mostly epub or pdf which means you can only read the pdf's on the kindle. i was able to read both on the kobo.
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 16, 2011, 05:12:37 am »
thx  :)
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 17, 2011, 12:13:16 am »
My kindle is due to arrive tomorrow and I just realised I purchased the wrong cover and will need to return it. What type of covers and lights do people use for their kindle. I was looking at the cover with integrated light but am having second thoughts as I would prefer to read on the kindle without a cover at all so I guess that means I need to attached a book light or something similar. I'm wanting to keep the whole things as small as possible as I already carry my ipad with me everywhere.

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 17, 2011, 12:17:35 am »
Wonder, the case (with the light) doesn't take much more space than the kindle itself (I would guess perhaps 1cm at the most) and I would highly recommend it as it protects the kindle from damage if you are travelling with it or carrying it on a regular basis in your bag.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline Bootobethin

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 17, 2011, 12:43:21 am »
Wonder - I would also recommend the cover with integrated light. It is very compact and protects the Kindle very well. The light is integrated and takes no space at all and doesn't draw too much power. It makes the Kindle useful in all light situations and well protected to be dropped into all kinds of bags.  It is ready to be used in almost any situation!

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 17, 2011, 01:57:16 am »
Thanks for the ideas.
I would still like the cover with integrated light but at the moment for the new model kindle it's only available direct from Amazon and including postage it will be approx $80 so that on top of the return postage for the one I purchased by accident makes for an extremely expensive cover. I might need to wait until I'm in the US next year or it becomes available in Australia and just get a cheaper cover as an interim. I'm happy to use my ipad if reading in a dark place as an interim measure.

Offline jeninwa

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 17, 2011, 02:10:08 am »
What cover did you buy by mistake? You could sell it on ebay instead of returning it.
I child-proofed my house, but they still get in!

Offline Amanda

• View Profile
    • Lambs Ears and Honey
« Reply #86 on: October 17, 2011, 02:20:23 am »
Wonder - I agree with the others. The cover protects the Kindle and makes it easier to hold in some instances. The light is so well designed that you wouldn't know it was there at all if not told.
Freelance food/travel writer. Lives in the Adelaide hills and writes a food blog - http://www.lambsearsandhoney.com

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 17, 2011, 03:56:33 am »
I bought the one for the kindle keyboard which is bigger than the new model. I had a look at selling it on eBay instead of returning and the prices for an official amazon one were pretty hit and miss.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 17, 2011, 07:53:23 am »
Frozzie, the latest I've read and loved were before I go to sleep and The Room. I found the Room particularly thought provoking and I didn't want it to end. Our book club also read We need to talk about Kevin which I loved but others didn't really like it.
The Room is an unusual story. At first I had trouble reading it, but then I really loved it. As you said Wonder it was very thought provoking. The Help is a beautiful story.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 17, 2011, 07:55:40 am »
I enjoyed The Help very much as well.  I think it's a movie now.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.