Author Topic: Recipe review-miso roasted chicken p 98 Quick fix in the Thermomix  (Read 12220 times)

Offline Merlin

• View Profile
Well I finally caved in and bought this book  after all the rave reviews! It arrived today- I couldn't believe it arrived 2 days after ordering it ( and it didn't have the petrochemical smell that some people have mentioned). I made the miso roasted chicken straight away as I had some chicken thigh fillets defrosted plus we all love miso so how could I resist? Have to give this recipe 5/5- there was quite a bit of liquid left after the roasting time but this acted as a sauce and was soaked up by the rice anyway. Alternatively, if someone didn't want any sauce, you could serve the chicken pieces relatively dry over some rice. I also made some Japanese style pumpkin and eggplant to go with the chicken. Lovely flavours and certainly a very kid friendly recipe. As Alyce says in the intro to the recipe it tastes similar to honey soy chicken. I can't wait to try some of the other recipes but the entire book looks drool worthy!
"There are two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as if everything is"
Albert Einstein

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
Re: Recipe review-miso roasted chicken p 98 Quick fix in the Thermomix
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012, 06:48:36 am »
thx Merlin, am glad to hear that one is a goodie as I had earmarked it to try soon
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2012, 08:30:38 am »
Did half quantity of this recipe and both of us loved it.  Certainly agree with Merlin that it is child friendly. I would make full quantity of the sauce next time as I love a lot of sauce on this type of meal and the excess would get soaked up with either the rice or, as I did tonight, Helene's mock rice and steamed vegies.  I bought the miso paste in Woolworths and they only had the white variety (looks brown to me!) and sprinkled it with toasted sesame seeds and coriander rather than nori but I was very happy with it.  Thanks Alyce and Helene for tonight's meal.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 08:36:44 am by judydawn »
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 12:14:02 am »
Made this last night. Made the full recipe, but will note next time to double the sauce mix as there wasn't enough. Very nice tho 
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline kezza

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 07:44:32 am »
I have made this twice now. The first time I doubled the recipe (I made two separate batches as it is quick and easy) and I had lots of sauce. The second time I made the one batch and was surprised there wasn't enough sauce. Tonight my DD is going to make a double batch and we are going to try quinoa instead of rice to go with it. I do love this recipe.

Offline Merlin

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 02:46:43 am »
maybe I must have made double the quantity first time as I definitely had loads of sauce!
"There are two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as if everything is"
Albert Einstein

Offline snappy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2012, 02:29:03 pm »
We have had this for dinner a couple of times now and its great.  Quick and easy to make and is eaten by the whole family

Offline Mrs KK

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2012, 03:26:50 pm »
Love love love this 5/5 from us. Served it with quinoa done in the tmx bowl and chinese veg done in the varoma.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 03:28:27 pm by Mrs KK »

Offline inthekitchen

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2012, 11:38:54 am »
Absolutely delicious!  I'd go so far as to say it's probably my favourite TM recipe :)  really quick & easy.  A great dish for preparing in advance then just roasting when you're ready to eat.  Mild enough for kids but fancy looking enough for guests.  I prefer breast meat, other half prefers thigh, so I used a mix of both, then dished us up our preferred meat (it was really obvious which meat was which).  I also liked that it was pretty healthy. 

Offline Nik2bstar

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2013, 03:54:00 am »
An amazing success in our household. Served it with steamed Jasmine Rice and Broccolini done in the varoma. My 6yr old twin boys asked for seconds!!! Will definitely be making this one again.

Offline Ekusumo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2013, 01:08:48 pm »
Should have checked this thread first. Would have doubled the sauce. All in all, a flavorful and quick recipe. Doubling the sauce will go even better over rice. Will definitely make more of this soon as a quick dinner solution for the family.

Offline KarenH

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2013, 04:36:28 am »
Made this recipe a week or so ago, but forgot to post a review.  As everyone else has said, it is quick, easy and delicious!  I used only 500g of chicken thighs, but kept the sauce quantities the same, and I agree that the extra sauce was really nice.

There was a small amount of meat left over, which I had cold over a simple salad for lunch the next day.  Delicious!

5/5 will definitely make again.
Karen in Adelaide

Offline Tasty

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2014, 02:24:14 pm »
Can someone tell me where I buy miso paste from....is it an Asian grocer? Is it something I can also find in a health food store or not?

Would like to make it in the next few weeks

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2014, 02:45:56 pm »
I just checked back on my review Tasty and I bought mine at Woolworths.  You will definitely find it in an Asian grocer but I'm sure it's available in most stores these days.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Tasty

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2014, 12:46:49 pm »
I asked at my local woollies and they don't have it  but I will try to remember to get to asian local grocers.