Author Topic: Old Fashioned Jam Drops  (Read 24110 times)

Offline johnro

• View Profile
Old Fashioned Jam Drops
« on: April 02, 2011, 10:02:53 am »
I do realise this is not a cake but posted here for the want of a more appropriate category. This is the first biscuit recipe which I have converted and in fact the first biscuit in thermie using the creaming method of mixing.  I know that Jam Drops are far from exciting but are still popular with many - mind you I am not a fan! The recipe is the foundation biscuit recipe in Day to Day Cookery - p209

Jam Drops

125g butter
125g sugar
1 egg
1 teasp vanilla
210g SR flour
jam for filling - strawberry, raspberry,  or apricot (that being said I used fruits of the forest)

1. Beat butter, sugar, egg and vanilla in TMX - 3 mins - speed 4-5. Scrape down sides of bowl, beat further 20 secs same speed.
2. Add flour and stir until combined and mixture leaves the sides of bowl similar to pastry. Takes about 1min 30 sec - speed 3.
3. Roll mixture into balls. Place on papered tray.  Make a hollow in each using end of wooden spoon - place small amount of jam in each biscuit.
4. Bake mod oven until golden.

g

members' comments

Mum to Four - I was a bit concerned that my mixture was too "wet" but they rolled well and after 12 minutes in the oven on 160 degrees (fan forced) they came out looking lovely.  The boys loved them!

Lilli33 - I made these using quince paste. Omg, these were delicious and the whole family loved them! Was surprised how nicely they spread. I made them small so we would have plenty but they ended up still a nice size and we STILL got 'heaps' of them iykwim... Somehow they still didn't last long though. I was also surprised how beautifully the quince paste stayed put!

dede - Robyn these are really yummy.

Chookie - Love these but have used Quince paste squares instead of jam.

Obbie - thanks Johnro, I made jam drops last week and will make more this week.

Amy -  I can see that I've made them far too big. My mixture was also more muffin like in consistency which made them very hard to handle.  Not sure why they were so sloppy. Massive but apparently very yummy.

Uni - I have some baking now, I am very excited as I found some pumpkin jam in the freezer, I lost my pumpkin jam recipe. Thanks for the recipe.

Nameisserene - Made these twice! First time found the recipe to be very short. Very buttery. Second time round I increased the flour by 50g. Had a drier, crumblier dough. Still rollable. I like the end result better. Cookies looked neater and not as flat as first round. Also tried to top with as much jam as I can! Very, very yummy jammy goodness. Like bite size crunchy scones! And if you don't bake till the jam dries out, they are juicy.

Denzelmum - Made with 100g raw sugar, 150g wholemeal SR flour and apricot jam.  DS looooves this.  Thank you from our family. 

« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 08:18:45 am by judydawn »
Robyn from Rockhampton, Qld  :)

I used to have a handle on life, then it broke.

Offline salval

• View Profile
Re: Old Fashioned Jam Drops
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2011, 10:57:21 am »
Thank you!! This is a favourite of my dear old dad, so next time he visits me in Melbourne, I'll make them! Terrific!
Mum of 3 (2 x 2-legged & 1 x 4-legged)
TMX Consultant in Newport, Melbourne

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2011, 10:59:45 am »
I love the old recipes johnro, these aren't usually that big either if you can resist having more than one with a cuppa. ;) ;)
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2011, 07:14:43 am »
I love jam drops, thanks for the conversion. I sometimes replace some of the flour with almond meal to give them a bit of an almond flavour. I then use almond essence.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline johnro

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2011, 12:05:20 pm »
No problem, cookie thought I had better do something for team thermie - you all contribute so much, thank you always.  :)  :)

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2011, 10:50:57 am »
oh i love jam drops..mum used to always make them and i love making and eating them..never got around to making htem in the thx so thankyouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu robyn  :) :) :) :)
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/

Offline Mum to Four

• Mum to four boys
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2011, 09:34:38 am »
I was a bit concerned that my mixture was too "wet" but they rolled well and after 12 minutes in the oven on 160 degrees (fan forced) they came out looking lovely.  The boys loved them!

Offline Lilli33

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2012, 05:28:41 am »
Great, about to try these with dd7, and some of my quince paste! Will let you n ow how they go. Thanks
TC owner from Adelaide. Thanks for sharing the journey and inspiring me to cook new things.

Mum to DS 9 DD7 and DS almost 2

Offline Lilli33

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2012, 01:41:08 am »
Omg, these were delicious and the whole family loved them! Was surprised how nicely they spread. I made them small so we would have plenty but they ended up still a nice size, and we STILL got 'heaps' of them iykwim... Somehow they still didn't last long though.

I was also surprised how beautifully the quince paste stayed put!

Am about to make another batch before we head to the barista for a few daysl tried some healthier almost museli bar style biscuits yesterday... And they haven't 'cut the mustard' so seeing as its a holiday for all of us, I might as well have a sweet treat that EVERYONE will enjoy.
Photo

http://campl.us/fQXeSDPv4W4
TC owner from Adelaide. Thanks for sharing the journey and inspiring me to cook new things.

Mum to DS 9 DD7 and DS almost 2

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2012, 02:48:12 am »
I love Jam drops too. Thanks for bumping the recipe Lilli :)
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

Offline johnro

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2012, 08:11:21 am »
Great pic Lilli33 - jam drops never seem to lose their appeal!!!!

Offline dede

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2012, 12:24:00 am »
Making these right now. I usually make the burnt butter biscuits and turn them into jam drops. But thought I would give the recipe a try today.

Offline dede

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2012, 01:22:19 am »
Robyn these are really yummy. Just had to eat one that broke when I put it on the cooler. (don't you hate when that happens ;D )

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2012, 07:58:04 am »
Someone once told me that broken biscuits had no calories as they have all fallen out ;) and who am I to disagree?  ;D ;D
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline dede

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2012, 04:50:03 am »
Oh that is so so true. (well that's what I'm sticking to anyway) ;D