Author Topic: Date Crumble Slice  (Read 20171 times)

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
Date Crumble Slice
« on: March 05, 2010, 05:45:18 am »
Makes 16 pieces.

Ingredients:
300g pitted dates
250g water
80g caster sugar
185g butter, chopped
180g brown sugar
200g Plain flour
1/2 teaspoon bicarb soda
130g rolled oats

Method:
Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees. Grease and line a 3cm deep 20cm x 30cm pan.

Chop dates in TM for 5 seconds, Speed 7 (needs to be chunky). Combine dates, water and caster sugar in TM bowl and cook on 7 minutes, 70 degrees, or until dates have absorbed liquid. Set aside to cool to room temperature. Quick rinse of TM bowl.

Cream butter and brown sugar in TM bowl for 1 minute, Speed 5. Add flour and bicarb of soda over butter mixture. Combine for 10 seconds, Speed 5. Add oats, and mix for 10 seconds, Speed 3 - 4.

Press half the oat mixture into base of prepared pan. Spread date mixture over the top.
Crumble remaining oat mixture over date mixture so dates are completely covered, pressing on with your fingertips.
Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until golden.
Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon caster sugar.
Cut into slices. Serve warm or cold.

Source: Super Food Ideas, April 2004

members' comments

Chookie - was very nice.  Will make it again.  I made a  couple of changes, I mixed some chopped walnuts with the topping mix as it didn't quite cover the date mix.  I also used 2/3 coconut oil instead of the butter,  that is 100 g of oil and 85 g butter.  I also used 85 g of wholemeal flour.  I let it cool completely in the tin.  Thank you for a good stand by recipe to fill the biscuit tin.
This slice keeps really well.   Had some today with cream,  when unexpected visitor arrived for lunch. 

MJ - I've just put it in the oven. I add lemon rind to the dates and cut down the sugar in both the dates and the pastry.  I did like the slice, very rich and quite sweet still. I'd add lemon juice and take out some of the water next time in the date mixture. This would also be great with the Fruit Mince that I bottled at Xmas time.

ES - I love this slice and have made it a number of times. I entered it in the Royal Show along with two other slices and won third prize. Thanks CP.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 01:38:54 pm by judydawn »
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
Re: Date Crumble Slice
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2010, 05:55:17 am »
Creampuff,  thank for this,  love dates and this looks nice.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2010, 11:58:22 am »
Creampuff,  made this today,  was very nice.  Will make it again.  I made a  couple of changes, I mixed some chopped walnuts with the topping mix as it didn't quite cover the date mix.  I also used 2/3 coconut oil instead of the butter,  that is 100g of oil and 85g butter.  I also used 85g of wholemeal flour.  I let it cool completely in the tin.  Thank you for a good stand by recipe to fill the biscuit tin. 

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2010, 05:00:26 am »
Thx CP63 - sounds good indeed and thanks Chookie for trying, reviewing & giving variation ideas
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2010, 02:50:08 pm »
You could serve with a dollop of cream. Dates and rolled oats are such high fibre it must be so good for you. I know that other people who have certain dietry requirements could even make it more healthier.

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2010, 09:46:44 am »
Thanks for the conversion CP63.
I've just put it in the oven. I add lemon rind to the dates and cut down the sugar in both the dates and the pastry.
My scales went wonky as I was adding the flour, so I'm not sure if I had the right amount! The pastry seemed quite short, so we'll soon see...
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2010, 02:36:18 am »
I actually didn't strictly halve the pastry for the top and the bottom. I just used enough to cover the bottom adequately, and then I had heaps left over for the top.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2010, 02:52:08 am »
Think i used too much for the base,  also dish larger.  What i really like is the spreading ability of the date mixture.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2010, 12:16:45 pm »
This will definitely be made. We love dates.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2010, 01:30:45 pm »
When I said the pastry was 'short', I didn't mean in quantity, I meant in pastry type, as in short pastry, lots of butter! ;D

I don't think I had enough flour. My bowl wasn't sitting in properly and so the measurements were out. I did like the slice, very rich and quite sweet still. I'd add lemon juice and take out some of the water next time in the date mixture. This would also be great with the Fruit Mince that I bottled at Xmas time.
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2010, 08:22:38 am »
This slice keeps really well.   Had some today with cream,  when unexpected visitor arrived for lunch. 

Offline EmeraldSue

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2013, 01:56:18 pm »
I love this slice and have made it a number of times. I entered it in the Royal Show along with two other slices, and won third prize. Thanks CP :D
"A messy kitchen is a happy kitchen and this kitchen is delirious." Anonymous

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2013, 02:07:07 pm »
Awesome ES.

I was actually looking through Margaret Fulton's book "Baking" this afternoon and had selected this  to make tomorrow.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2013, 09:48:41 pm »
How did I miss this, love dates, will make. ;)
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2013, 01:38:35 am »
Oh well done ES! I love how you enter your cooking in the shows. I grew up in a country town and used to try and enter as many things as I possibly could (mostly art), and its one of the best feelings to approach the section with trepidation and voila see a certificate attached to your entry. If there's nothing you look at the other entries with a very critical eye.