Author Topic: Bienenstich (Bee Sting) Cake  (Read 19964 times)

Offline chocdoc

• View Profile
    • the Chocolate Doctor
Re: Bienenstich (Bee Sting) Cake
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2010, 01:54:41 pm »
Thanks chocdoc - I made a bienenstich (with yeast) for one of the cooking competitions and then thought -"Who in the right mind will do all the steps?"  so scrapped the recipe - should still put it together - but this is great indeed.

Have a funny story that I should tell some time about the cream stabilizer and a German vet student who was staying with us many years ago - for another time.
I've got yeast recipes too - but wanted to copy the one I have bought at the German store nearby and theirs is cake based. 

Also waiting with bated breath to hear the story when you have time.

Offline Georgie

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2010, 04:24:27 pm »
Oh wow, YUM!!

Instant vanilla pudding & custard powder aren't really things that I would buy, though, wonder if it would work thickening it up with egg & cornflour or something (so more like a custard, I guess!)

Offline chocdoc

• View Profile
    • the Chocolate Doctor
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2010, 07:04:45 pm »
Oh wow, YUM!!

Instant vanilla pudding & custard powder aren't really things that I would buy, though, wonder if it would work thickening it up with egg & cornflour or something (so more like a custard, I guess!)

Looks like the custard powder doesn't really do any thickening - you really need the modified starch that is in the instant pudding or the Dr Oekter Whip it.  I'm going to play a bit more with cooking the custard powder to try and lose the uncooked cornstarch taste - my experiment today yielded butter - so I have work to do.  The instant custard powder (to which you add water) appears to contain modified starch so would probably thicken.

I also don't have instant vanilla mix in the house - I use the custard powder for a number of things to get an eggy taste without adding egg.  I see that it seems to have a bad rap on this board, but the Harry Horne's Custard pudding powder that I use contains cornstarch, tapioca starch, potato starch, salt, flavour, arrowroot flour and colour.  Nothing unpronounceable.  Checked out the Bird's instant label last time I was at the store and it seems to have a few more things in it - but again, nothing I really have any great issues about used in small quantities, infrequently.

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2010, 10:22:31 pm »
Chocdoc, in Aus, the colouring used in custard powder is a colour that causes a lot of health problems for some people.  One of the first things a lot of Aussies get excited about is the ability to make brilliant custard without custard powder for this exact reason.  Hence there has been a few suggestions to try homemade custard. 

I'm looking forward to trying this, but have to have an excuse and people to share the beesting with.
Helping you to take back control over what your family eats, one meal at a time.
Email thermomix.darlingdowns@gmail.com

Offline chocdoc

• View Profile
    • the Chocolate Doctor
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2010, 10:56:55 pm »
What brand of custard powder do you use in Oz?  Is tartrazine the colouring agent or annatto?  While I understand there is a risk of allergy to annatto - I'm not seeing the same range of concerns as with tartrazine. 

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2010, 11:11:18 pm »
Foster Clark is a very common brand in Australia.  I don't have any custard powder so can't remember what is in it. 

This thread has some discussion re custard powder.
http://www.forumthermomix.com/index.php?topic=1605.0
Helping you to take back control over what your family eats, one meal at a time.
Email thermomix.darlingdowns@gmail.com

Offline Tebasile

• View Profile
    • http://tebasileskitchen.blogspot.com/
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2010, 01:58:41 am »
There is about 3/4 of the cake left - I tasted it, but I'm still working on losing weight - so it's up to hubby and rug rat to finish it off - feel free to drop around a snag a piece.

If you lose something, you have to find it again  ;). I'm on the 7th day of the MasterCleanse and dropped 3,4kg, so I can't have a piece, good for your husband  :D. I will let you know anyway, when I'm in your area...IKEA is waiting for me  :) 
Elisabeth -Thermomix Consultant- from Ontario, Canada
http://tebasileskitchen.blogspot.com/

Offline chocdoc

• View Profile
    • the Chocolate Doctor
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2010, 02:47:25 am »
There is about 3/4 of the cake left - I tasted it, but I'm still working on losing weight - so it's up to hubby and rug rat to finish it off - feel free to drop around a snag a piece.

If you lose something, you have to find it again  ;). I'm on the 7th day of the MasterCleanse and dropped 3,4kg, so I can't have a piece, good for your husband  :D. I will let you know anyway, when I'm in your area...IKEA is waiting for me  :) 

Got as far as the Ikea parking lot today - saw all the cars and decided to postpone.

Offline Angela

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2010, 08:37:03 am »
Am definitely trying this! I love beesting as do most of the women in my mother's group so I might surprise them and rock up with this Friday :)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2010, 12:07:37 pm »
I'm sure you will impress them with it Angela and you need a few people to help you eat it.  3 relatives came to visit me just after I came out of hospital and they bought lunch.  There was a beesting for dessert and they left the leftovers for me to eat - it was a huge piece, probably half of it and there I was, trying to get through it on my own and knowing the calories I was consuming. I ended up throwing a huge chunk in the bin (doesn't stay fresh for long anyway) for the sake of my waistline.
Definitely something you have to share with a group of people so there are no left-overs.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.