Author Topic: JUICERS  (Read 12976 times)

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
JUICERS
« on: June 28, 2013, 05:00:20 am »
I just watched this programme, Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead, on You Tube and it has really got to me, so I now want to start juicing - not just green smoothies, but all and any fruit and vege juices.  For various reasons, I can't use my TMX for this so will be looking for a good juicer.  Does anyone have any suggestions?

Interesting fruit / vegetable combinations would also be appreciated.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline Jamberie

• View Profile
Re: JUICERS
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2013, 05:06:39 am »
I gave my juicer away after buying the TMX as I prefer to keep the fibre in and can make a much larger quantity of juice without breaking the bank in fruit!
Although if you aren't looking to use your TMX, you really need to consider how easy they are to clean...many of them come with lots of parts that need to be washed after each use (one reason I gave it away). Another thing to look for is the size of the fruit pieces you can put in....bigger = easier.
Hope that helps a little :)
I have a Facebook page with all things cooking, you'll find it here: https://www.facebook.com/What-Amber-Ate-1097437023601587/

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2013, 05:11:53 am »
I've just watched this also . . .I don't have a juicer either.  I did have one that was just such a pain to clean and gave it away when I bought the TMX.

I've looked at the quirky cooking site and also this one http://www.rebootwithjoe.com/mean-green-juice/ who is the
instructor/mentor in the film

I'm hoping the TMX will do the job . . . . :D

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2013, 05:56:19 am »
I've watched that show as well and find it amazing. I've got no advice on the juicer except to have a good look at reviews on the web and look at some of the green juicing and raw food websites as they can talk quite a bit about different juicers. I've had a green smoothie for breakfast at least 5 days a week for 2 years now and find it really makes a difference to the way I feel. I just put in whatever I have to hand but it tends to be a base of kale, apple, orange, almond, linseeds, sunflower seeds, chia seeds and goji berries plus any extra fruit i might have. I go through a fair amount of fruit and greens so can only imagine the quantities for juicing. Good luck with it.

Offline jeninwa

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2013, 07:18:51 am »
I juice every morning using my Themi and strain through a nut milk bag. There's a you tube video on it. Will try and find.

Found it
http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=IqqBakMbCjg&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DIqqBakMbCjg

Hope this link works
I child-proofed my house, but they still get in!

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2013, 01:09:16 pm »
We have this one since watching that movie about 12 months ago.

It isn't cheap, but is easy to clean and is a cold press juicer (that is it juices at 40RMP a minutes so more presses the juice out thank blending it out) I wasn't going to be bothered since we had the TMX but hubby wanted it (bless him) and has had many more juices than if he had to much around with a nut milk bag. I still only use it for one very intense packed juice a day, otherwise it is TMX for juicing or green smoothies so they are more filling etc.

It is certainly an eye opening movie!  :)
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline SoBlessed

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2013, 09:54:18 am »
The Hurom 400 pro juicer from tvsn is a cold press one. They are definitely the best type of juicer. It seems to be $379 ATM, but I have seen it for $349 when they've had a special. I think it has a 10 year warrantee on the motor, so it's good quality :)

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2013, 10:01:54 pm »
Thanks for your suggestions, everyone. 

I had a juicer many years ago and it took ages to clean, so this aspect was one of my major considerations (apart from the quality of the juice, of course).  It looks like the cold press type is the way to go; now to look around and see what will work best for us.  I think it will be one that looks very like the Hurom, SoBlessed - the Omega VERT; it's a little more expensive than the Hurom, so I haven't quite settled on that yet.

Wonder, I'm not having any luck with finding juicing and raw food sites / blogs, I must not be sending Mr Google the appropriate phrases; I'll keep working on that aspect.

Offline SoBlessed

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2013, 06:04:14 am »
Sounds like a good choice Cuilidh, definitely the way to go  :)
I have the Oscar juicer which is the model before the Hurom, & I've always been very happy with it.

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2013, 08:27:43 am »
It's always good to get positive feedback, SoBlessed, thanks for that.  I really want to dive in and buy a juicer and get started, but I tend to be impulsive like that, so am taking my time (or trying to, anyway) so that I can be comfortable with the expenditure and be sure that I will actually use the machine and get value out of it.  A couple of weeks ago I was all for getting into green smoothies and have now changed direction to juicing ... just goes to show how fickle I can be.

Offline BT

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2013, 06:41:38 am »
I love my Oscar 900 by Vita max..   Cold pressed juicers are much better than the Centrifugal type...      I make carrot juice with it and then throw that in the thermomix will all the green items..   Far mor beneficial for your body ... Happy juicing 😀

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2013, 08:53:29 pm »
I just took delivery of a Healthstart Ceramic Pro juicer.  It works on the same slow extraction system as the Hurom and Oscar, but is not a vertical juice.  I had been a bit wary of this type because I thought they were really large, but when you break them down they are actually no larger than a two slice toaster.  Haven't tried it out yet, but I have a long shopping list for this weekend at the market!

Offline SoBlessed

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2013, 08:44:14 am »
Your juicer looks great, very similar to my Oscar. I think you'll be very happy with it. :)

Offline jeninwa

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2013, 05:00:04 am »
Any one heard anything about thesehttp://www.newwaveka.com.au/catalogue/products/slow-juicer/slow-juice-extractor  saw one while I was out shopping this morning.
I child-proofed my house, but they still get in!

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2013, 08:57:39 am »
I haven't heard of that particular brand of juicer, Jen, but it looks to be an upright version of the type I got and the slower juicers, like mine and this one, are the better type (they are also quieter).