Author Topic: Kindle has arrived!!!!!!, now what to do with it!!  (Read 41424 times)

*jo*

Kindle has arrived!!!!!!, now what to do with it!!
« on: November 03, 2010, 12:01:34 pm »
If I am this excited about my kindle, who knows the extent of my emotion when I get my dehyrator!!! and no, none compares to my thermomix  ;D 

Please may I pick the brains of you that have a kindle? I have downloaded a sample so I was impressed considering it arrived this morning and there was the chance of us evacuating today due to the fires...didn't stop me, LOL.  All safe here, any help immensly appreciated  :-*

Offline Katya

• View Profile
Re: Kindle has arrived!!!!!!, now what to do with it!!
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2010, 07:15:26 pm »
Have you had a look at all the free books in the Kindle Store?    They are listed under "Kindle Bestsellers" on the Left hand side.   Loads of classics there to download and read for free.

There's a UK Kindle Forum at http://www.amazon.co.uk/tag/kindle/forum/ref=tag_cdt_hd_icdf which has some interesting things in it, but also a load of bickering so it's not the warm friendly place we have here.

Do you have any specific queries that we might be able to help you with?

Offline Deeau

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2010, 11:29:59 pm »
I love this place http://dailycheapreads.com/ I get the RSS feed daily to my email client and I have about 100 free books on my kindle ( and more that were very cheap ) the greatest thing about this is that I have read many books that have been free that are not the genre that I would normally read.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2010, 03:57:42 am »
I just looked at that site. It made me wish I had a Kindle instead of a Sony.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2010, 04:08:10 am »
if you selected your sample from the computer (as I do) you will need to go to Menu, and turn your wireless on. After about a minute or so your sample will be downloaded onto your Kindle. Magic!
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2010, 04:44:07 am »
Oh so glad you are having fun with your Kindle and not worrying about the fires though you had better keep an eye out.

With the dollar above parity this morning I indulged and bought a couple more books. I love the one click and your done. The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo was only $5.41 I think. If you want something hot and girly you can read in about an hour then get for free Compromising Positions. Utter crapola but funny , and fun.

Be sure to get the Complete Users Guide for Kindle by Stephen Windwalker as that will lead you to a lot more web sites including  the Gutenberg Project.

I love a new toy.

Gretchen
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

*jo*

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2010, 05:13:41 am »

Thanks Katya, there are some great titles there too.  Ahhhh Little Women CLASSIC... There are so many lovlies on this forum you are right nothing is important enough to contend with bickering even, and I don't have the energy :P  I had heard of calibre do you know of it?

I hadn't heard of such a site Deeau ...but I'm going there right now...they ARE cheap, I like cheap   ;)

Cookie1 surely you have heaps of options anyway  ???

You will be proud of me CreamPuff 63 I did it!  okay so I just to press a key but still  :P Ta for the walk through

Hi there Gretchen, I am thinking of looking out for Steig Larsson titles, thank you for the reminder.  Oh I am all for some utter crapola don't you worry, LOL especially when its free :-))  Just had a look and I can't see it for free???  Oh thanks for the heads up I think I need a good guide hehe.

xxx

*jo*

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2010, 05:20:09 am »
So sorry I forgot...how do you purchase an Amazon gift card please???  Yes I can read hence the purchase however I do get confused very easily...that is why I love my Thermomix, it's easy  ;D

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2010, 05:22:17 am »
Gosh you have to be quick. Now it is $4.40. Not worth it or maybe it is. But the prices change every day and more freebies are added as some are subtracted. Keeps you coming back eh?

Gretchen

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2010, 05:26:38 am »
Just go here Jo and choose your card and method. Too eazy. Grat gift for friends who use Amazon and at the moment the price is right. New best seller today for the price of a double long black!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/gc/ref=topnav_giftcert

Gretch

*jo*

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2010, 05:39:05 am »
That's where I was when I got confused  :-[  I assume choose email option, put my email address as the recipient and and the amount and hey presto? Thank you for your patience x

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2010, 06:43:12 am »
Yes, the choice for Sony e-readers is improving. I bought the new John Grisham this morning for $18. Better than I can get at the shops. Not by much though. I eventually hope to have only e books as storing books just takes up so much room. I only read them once but DD passes heaps onto me and I keep buying. ;)
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2010, 07:25:15 am »
That's where I was when I got confused  :-[  I assume choose email option, put my email address as the recipient and and the amount and hey presto? Thank you for your patience x

Not sure about that Jo. Why would you buy yourself a gift card to use at Amazon? I think that one is for snding to someone else and when they order something from Amazon they then give Amazon the gift card code. In any case it will show up on your credit card. You can do that by printing out the card and giving it to someone else or just send it to their e-mail addy.

Yes, the choice for Sony e-readers is improving. I bought the new John Grisham this morning for $18. Better than I can get at the shops. Not by much though. I eventually hope to have only e books as storing books just takes up so much room. I only read them once but DD passes heaps onto me and I keep buying. ;)

Amazon has the latest John Grisham for only $14. But in a few weeks it could be cheaper.

Loving my Kindle.

Gert

*jo*

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2010, 08:24:02 am »
I was under the impression if you get yourself a gift card then instead of going via your credit card it just takes it from the gift card...oh who cares...I've got it the rest will work out!!!LOL

I am loving my kindle and loving you too :-*

Offline cottchick

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2010, 12:44:58 pm »
Love my kindle. I just bought the Grisham, thanks for the heads up.
I can recommend, for those into crime/thriller/mystery genre, Lee Child books. Love em, love the hero Jack Reacher.
Another good read I downloaded recently was ROOM by Emma Donoghue (sp?). Fascinating read.
I love that so much of the classics are free -  I have been reading Dostoyeskvy (Crime and Punishment)!!

Cottchick