Author Topic: Sydneysider, new to forum, had TMX for a while  (Read 9450 times)

Offline @HomeMum

• View Profile
Sydneysider, new to forum, had TMX for a while
« on: January 12, 2012, 09:10:54 am »
Hello All. I am a stay at home mum with 2 boys (3 and 7mths) and live in nothern Sydney. I have had my TMX for a few months but sadly not using it nearly enough or being adventurous with trying any new recipes. I use it to make mashed potato, bolognaise, bechemel, soups, stews and that's about it.  :-[
I actually bought most of the cookbooks but have never used any of them execept the one that comes with the machine (EDC). I have only used my varoma to steam fish.
Having said that I really want to start using it to its full potential and start using it more often. I would love to try making bread (I also bought the silicon mat thing and have never used it) but have been to scared. Also want to start making more foods from scratch to make healthier meals for my family. I know the machine can do it all but I guess I find it overwhelming and am scared of failure so I don't try.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Sydneysider, new to forum, had TMX for a while
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2012, 09:24:05 am »
Hi @HomeMum, welcome to the forum.  This is a great place to come for motivation, believe me.  You sound very much like me at the beginning, dreadfully scared of the Varoma and not too confident with the TMX either.  I didn't like the EDC that came with the machine and nothing worked out, their chopping times were far too long and I just found it a great disappointment. Moving on from there, I then found this forum and it has opened up a whole new way of cooking for me.
For bread rolls/loaves, try this very simple, basic recipe - it seems to work for everyone. Chookie's No Fuss Rolls/loaf.
Then check out CP's favourite recipes list.  This is her first list and I am sure she is working on her second list already.
If you have time to do a bit of reading and browsing on the forum you will see that we make all sorts of things and it won't be long and you will get caught up in the fever and try a few different things yourself. Let us know how you go.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2012, 09:41:55 am »
Hi @HomeMum . . . welcome to the forum!  It sounds like you've made a good start! You'll probably learn more here than from any of the books you have!!  Try going to the BREAD section of the forum - it's a little over half way down the main page in the "swapping recipes" section.  Have a read through it and then just choose a simple one that's been recommended to start off with and follow it step by step.  

I'd never baked bread in my life until I had the TMX and I'm still amazed how easy it can be with this kitchen whizzz!  Once I started making bagels I couldn't stop!! ;D  It's the getting started bit that's the most difficult  :D

Above all, don't be afraid to pop questions on here left right and centre!!  These people are amazingly helpful and understanding.

While you're at it, you should take a good look at the OPS . . .photo section of the forum (you can find it in the CHIT CHAT section on p.2) . . . it's worth the price of admission ;D ;D ;D . . . and we've all been there, seen them and done that as the saying goes.  Good luck!   :) :)

Offline thermoheaven

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2012, 10:04:27 am »
hi @HomeMum. i'd be getting your consultant to do another demo for you - you can learn lots about the tm from just the basic demo. mine comes over every now and then and shows me things to do, so it's lots of fun.

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2012, 12:30:52 pm »
welcome @HomeMum i am in syd 2, just call if you need help  ;D
i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline deedub

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2012, 02:49:44 am »
Welcome @HomeMum, this is definitely the place to come to be inspired! I still have my 'L' plates, only had the TMX a month or so, but I've found I rarely use the cookbooks as this forum has more than enough recipes to keep me going. I'd never made bread before either but now I feel completely confident knocking up a batch of "Isi's easy portuguese rolls" at a moment's notice (you'll find the recipe in the Bread section, sorry don't know how to link it). I started out buying bread mix in smaller quantities rather than the 5kg bag of baker's flour - still works fine.

Here's the link
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 03:18:15 am by judydawn »
Melbourne, inner north

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2012, 05:39:19 am »
Welcome @homemum. We will soon have you loving your TMX and making all sorts of things. I agree with deedub's suggestion for Isi's rolls. I even make them into a loaf. You do not have to add the seeds to them either if you prefer not. Next time you are in the supermarket near all the flours you will see a smallish packet of Bread Improver. When you first start  making your bread this will help you no end. You only need about 1 teaspoon.
Good luck and feel free to ask us anything.
Try some of the muffins or cakes. I'm sure your 3 year old will love them no matter what.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline AmandaN

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2012, 06:47:14 am »
I try to make one new recipe a week. Doesn't always happen though!

My kids like the creamy tomato and salami fettucini in the EDC, the ricotta gnocchi is easy as and goes well with the bolognese (which I have to make weekily for my kids).  Beef stroganoff is good too.

And if you have Tenina's Dinner Spinner, then her Vietnamese shredded chicken salad is good and it is a great technique to try.  I made it for DH and I, but I think it might not have been accepable for the kids just yet (though easily adaptable).  But the technique is great!  So much shredded chicken for lunch the following day!

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2012, 08:47:23 am »
Welcome to the forum @HomeMum.Fantastic advice from the girls to get you motivated to try new things. :)
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline courton

• View Profile
    • Blendstyle
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2012, 10:25:35 am »
I go for months when I am too busy and do not use the TMX that often ( other than making rice or grinding ingredients)...but learning to use it more often makes cooking a lot more pleasurable and easy - if that makes sense! So come along for the ride! You will enjoy it!

Offline Yvette

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2012, 06:40:28 am »
Welcome to the forum, I was scared when I first got my TM but just have a go, I am in Sydney too.

Offline knittercook

• View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2012, 06:54:37 am »
Hello and welcome  ;D

I really do suggest trying the recipes that are found here and when I first started out if I chose a recipe from the EDC or one of the other cookbooks I would check here first to see any comments and necessary changes and this saved many a failure I am sure.
Seize the moment.  Remember all those women on the Titanic who waved off the dessert cart.  ~Erma Bombeck

my blog http://shazknit.blogspot.com

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2012, 12:49:56 pm »
I can feel a Sydney get together happening   ;D
i don't need a recipe i'm italian

mcmich

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2012, 08:40:54 am »
I think a Sydney get together would be wonderful. 

Offline courton

• View Profile
    • Blendstyle
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2012, 09:42:44 am »
 ;)Count me in :)