Author Topic: Cauliflower soup  (Read 21363 times)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Cauliflower soup
« on: April 21, 2009, 01:58:32 pm »
Has anyone tried the cauliflower soup, everyday cookbook page 72? I am tossing up whether to do this one or the one Joy tweaked by substututing the 30g parmesan for 400g feta.  The difference in fat content is scary!  Hope someone is out there that can advise re taste difference as I want to cook this tomorrow.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline baf65

• View Profile
Re: Cauliflower soup
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2009, 02:39:57 pm »
Ive made it exactly as per the recipe book and its nice.  i think from memory we put a bit more salt in it as it wasnt 'salty' enough, maybe more parmesan would have added a bit more flavour - think you would need the parmesan to just give it that lift

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2009, 02:47:51 pm »
Thanks baf65, maybe I will even add some homemade veg stock and can always adjust the taste at the end with more parmesan.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009, 12:56:28 am »
Sorry JD, I made cauliflower soup at weekend but haven't gotten around to writing the recipes. 

What I did that was different, was to blitz the cauli flowerettes first so that cooking time was reduced.  The reason was that I had wanted to try producing some cauliflower in a form that would have some texture.  That followed an idea that Ferran Adria presented in Adelaide in 2001, where he was talking about "risotto" of cauli from finely chopping just the white part of the cauli.

You may want to substitute water for milk to give some extra "creaminess". 
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2009, 01:14:06 pm »
Tried your suggestion of using milk instead of water Thermomixer, added 1T veg stock concentrate and mixed the parmesan through the soup rather than sprinkling it on top.  It was very nice but looks so bland being just white and thick.  Think next time I will make some broccoli soup as well and pour the 2 soups into the bowl at the same time so that one half of the bowl is green and the other white.  Saw a photo somewhere once and it looks great.  Presentation is as important as taste.

Offline bron

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2009, 04:17:08 pm »
What a lovely idea, I bet that looks terrific!
Amanda

Spain

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2009, 12:52:21 am »
Tried your suggestion of using milk instead of water Thermomixer, added 1T veg stock concentrate and mixed the parmesan through the soup rather than sprinkling it on top.  It was very nice but looks so bland being just white and thick.  Think next time I will make some broccoli soup as well and pour the 2 soups into the bowl at the same time so that one half of the bowl is green and the other white.  Saw a photo somewhere once and it looks great.  Presentation is as important as taste.

It looks bland - true.  If you like blue cheese then try adding blue cheese instead.  Made some at the weekend and it has more flavour.  Also had broccoli and blue cheese soup at a demo last night. 

So half broccoli and half cauli is a good idea too.  If you pour one at the top of the plate, aiming towards the right side, and other at the bottom, aiming toward the left, then you get the sort of Chinese yin-yang symbol.  It is also best to have a similar consistency for the soups.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2009, 12:32:18 am »
i always add some chopped chives or parsley to give a bit of colour, plus we generally make cauli & bacon soup so it has pink bits too  :D

(i hate broccoli soup lol)
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2009, 02:24:25 am »
dh only tried it for tea last night, didn't know what he was eating but thoroughly enjoyed it.  Have been winning with everything I've been serving up to him these past few days so will keep the experimenting going. Going to try the other pasta your family like Karen tonight so that will be the real test.

I gave some of the cauli soup to my neighbour who had given me the cauli in the first place and did take a bunch of my parsley over for her to sprinkle on top.  Have chives growing as well so will try that, along with the bacon, next time. 

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2009, 08:30:47 am »
I've actually made a soup using cauli and broccoli and then blended it all together. It was quite tasty, just a light green instead of white.

Blue cheese in cauliflower soup is delicious. :P :P lip licking.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline ahoney

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2011, 10:32:08 am »
i made the E.D.C one and added some stock (think a little garlic would be good too) couldn't believe how creamy it was, am thinking of using it as a cream/cheese sauce substitute ( without parmesan) in recipes for my dairy free kids.  DS loved it, D.P thought i'd served him a bowel of cheese sauce lol!

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2011, 12:56:30 pm »
If that what it looked like ahoney, I'd go with it - be like a special treat for the kids.

Offline thermie crew

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2011, 04:42:26 am »
I cook it just as in the EDC recipe and love it-so creamy and delicious  ;)
Clare from Adelaide, mum of 3 littlies :)

Offline Bedlam

• Denise - Mandurah WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2011, 12:03:05 am »
I know this is an old thread however, we make a weight watchers cauliflower soup. Soften onions and garlic then add cumin cook off add cauliflower and stock. Could easily be made in thermie. To enhance appearance I put freshly ground pepper on top. It is yum
Denise

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2011, 07:07:09 am »
Thanks Denise.