Author Topic: Red lentil and Tomato soup  (Read 20345 times)

Offline Lucyluu

• View Profile
Red lentil and Tomato soup
« on: April 15, 2012, 02:23:21 am »
Red Lentil and Tomato Soup
serves 4 to 5 medium portions or 3 large portions

1 onion cut into quarters
2 cloves garlic
20gm evoo
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 x 400gram can diced tomatoes
1 tablespoon HM vegetable stock
200 grams of red lentils
1000 gm water
Method
Chop onion and garlic on speed 7 for 8 seconds.
Add evoo and cook on 100’ for 2 minutes  speed 2.
Add cumin and coriander and cook on 100’ for 2 minutes speed 2.
Now add tomatoes, lentils, stock and water then cook on 100’ for 30 minutes speed 2 reverse, once it starts to boil drop temp to 90’ and continue cooking.
Serve with crusty bread.

We quite often have this as a meal by itself as it is very filling and just the thing for a cold rainy day especially with Isi’s Portuguese bread rolls fresh from the oven.

Adapted from Tracy Rutherford, Burkes Backyard magazine July 2004

members' comments Nice soup

Cuildh - Adding cashew nuts makes a delicious soup as well, just zap at the end if you want it nice and smooth.

JD - Played with this a bit, made as directed but with shorter chopping and longer sauteeing times then added 70g tomato paste, 40g umami paste, 1 tblspn Tenina's chicken stock powder at the end and cooked for another couple of minutes before adding 100g cream and blitzing the soup to a nice puree.

« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 01:43:48 pm by judydawn »
Chief cook and bottle washer

Offline Aimee

• View Profile
Re: Red lentil and Tomato soup
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2012, 08:30:02 am »
Really quick and easy to make soup. Tastes great. Will be making it again. Thanks! :)

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2012, 10:15:10 am »
This looks great with the basic pantry ingredients. Will be giving it a go soon.  :)

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2012, 12:27:06 pm »
Made a double batch and vacuum sealed and froze.  very nice .  thanks for the recipe.

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2012, 02:59:54 am »
Adding cashew nuts makes a delicious soup as well, just zap at the end if you want it nice and smooth.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2012, 08:08:14 am »
Played with this a bit today, made as directed but with shorter chopping and longer sauteeing times then added 70g tomato paste, 40g umami paste, 1 tblspn Tenina's chicken stock powder at the end and cooked for another couple of minutes before adding 100g cream and blitzing the soup to a nice puree.  Guess in the end it didn't really taste like the original but it is very nice  ;D
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2012, 08:24:42 am »
I had a play with this today also JD. We just can't help ourselves!!! I left out the coriander and added seasoning.  We also blitzed it and added cream. Very nice.  :)

mcmich

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2012, 08:48:25 am »
Played with this a bit today, made as directed but with shorter chopping and longer sauteeing times then added 70g tomato paste, 40g umami paste, 1 tblspn Tenina's chicken stock powder at the end and cooked for another couple of minutes before adding 100g cream and blitzing the soup to a nice puree.  Guess in the end it didn't really taste like the original but it is very nice  ;D
Love The Old Country Roses Judy. I have this dinner set and several accessories. I've been collecting since I was 19yrs old and a newly wed.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2012, 09:15:37 am »
Yes, it's a great looking dinner set Michele.  I also had a Noritake but have decided to give it to DD2 now instead of later as she is so into High Teas and fine bone china all of a sudden and it will be nice to see her get the pleasure from it. Even the silver cutlery we gave her as part of her wedding present came out on Mothers' Day (the children polished what was needed for the table) - I love how things keep going around and coming back into fashion.  It's been white crockery and stainless steel cutlery for quite a while now for the young ones (and not so young, I joined them) but there is nothing as elegant as the former.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline bigTcup

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2012, 02:59:06 pm »
Made this today - simple, quick & I had all the ingredients in the pantry  :) Will make this one again, great for a quick healthy winter lunch.
Thermomix Consultant - Perth, WA
Facebook: Jeanette & Thermomix

Offline Lucyluu

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2014, 05:23:40 am »
Had this last night for tea,really easy to make and warming from the inside out went well with samosas.
Chief cook and bottle washer