Author Topic: Failsafe and Thermomix chat thread  (Read 37840 times)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Failsafe and Thermomix chat thread
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2009, 02:38:09 pm »
Not good enough though ILB in this day and age with so many allergies in kids you would think they could offer some healthy additions.  What could be easier than a fruit platter for goodness sake!  When you get sick of the wine industry ILB, I reckon you could run a great children's play centre and cater for their parties.  Just an idea ;D ;D ;D
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline I Love Bimby!

• View Profile
    • Thermomix in North East Victoria
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2009, 02:00:48 pm »
Not good enough though ILB in this day and age with so many allergies in kids you would think they could offer some healthy additions.  What could be easier than a fruit platter for goodness sake!  When you get sick of the wine industry ILB, I reckon you could run a great children's play centre and cater for their parties.  Just an idea ;D ;D ;D

Thanks JD - it has run past my mind.  Apparently the place is actually up for sale.  A few of us Mums (and one or two who are business minded) were discussing how much better it could do with some changes. I'd love to get in there and cook all day with a couple of "Jeanies". 

Customer Service in this town has a pretty poor reputation.  To bore you... when I booked the venue, payed for the deposit and brought lunch (couldn't go there without letting DD have a play and it was right on lunch time) they still charged the fee for her to have a play. So I'd just pretty much committed to paying $200 and that's what I got for it... Even little things they could do - like book a party and get a couple of vouchers for the birthday kid to come back another time... free coffees for the parents... it wouldn't be hard and would do so much for their business.  They promote that the birthday specials have goodie bags and all of that, but talking to other Mums who have had parties there they'd never seen them.  They only brought the "lolly bags" (had about 5 in it) when I went up and asked for it). 

But when it's too hard to actually purchase a couple of pieces of fruit for a healthier option, what do you expect??  I was shocked that I couldn't even bring a fruit platter because it's not covered by insurance - but I can bring the birthday cake... go figure??!!   >:( >:(

So I completely feel for mothers of children with allergies - no wonder they feel like they're on their own.  It makes me cross....

Sorry - now I'll get off my soap box .... it just frustrates me..... think I'd better go make a cup of tea  ;)
For a healthier lifestyle.
Thermomix addict and consultant.

http://thermomixinnortheastvictoria.blogspot.com/ - My Blog

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2009, 02:11:10 pm »
And it is this frustration that drives people like you to do something about it ILB - skip the cup of tea, have a nice Brown Bros wine ;) ;) Must google Wangaratta and read all about the place. I think that is where my S-I-L's friend used to run a caravan park if I am not mistaken.

Offline ralo

• View Profile
    • Failsafe cooking with the Thermomix
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2009, 10:12:09 am »
Hi

I did the RPA elim diet and am now mostly failsafe (with some mods) for the sake of my breastfed dd who has numerous intolerances

I hink that Friendly Food is more helpful than Dengate books when it comes to working out how to feed the family

It is 6 months today since I started.

While my daughter still struggles, particularly with weight gain, she is so very much happier than she was before i went on the elimination diet

i would love, love, love if there was somewhere safe i cd eat out - i think that is the hardest thing for me - no takeaway, no eating out. No getting caught at the shops and just grabbing X, Y or Z....
FAILSAFE and Dairy-free cooking is so much easier with a Thermomix!

My blog: failsafethermomix.blogspot.com

Offline I Love Bimby!

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2009, 10:56:18 am »
I have a dream......  but so many doubts running through my head..... ???

We know of a few kids that have allergies to everything, and it's so hard for the parents and kids. 

On a slightly different topic, Aldi have announced that they are eliminating 6 food colours that have been linked to causing health issues from their store by the end of the year. Refer to the press release:

http://www.aldi.com.au/au/media/img/04_media/20090610_ALDI_removes_food_colourings.pdf

Offline I Love Bimby!

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2009, 10:57:32 am »
Where are you located Ralo?

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2009, 11:01:28 am »
yes, yay to aldi!!!
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline rhogue

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2009, 03:21:48 am »
I am also a fan of the Friendly Foods book, and the new RPA guide to the elimination diet is very useful and practical. It explains things in a clear way which anyone (even men can just look at the graphs) can understand :-)

It also has more savoury options which I find the Failsafe cookbook lacks a bit....but it is designed for families with kids so I suppose that is the thought behind that.

Offline I Love Bimby!

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2009, 07:25:49 am »
For anyone in NE Victoria - Sue Dengate will be talking in Wangaratta on the 31st of August.   If you would like anymore details, please contact me and I can pass on the contact details.

Offline Nay-nay

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2009, 10:33:35 am »
I too have had a Sue Dengate book for about 8 years but never did get round to the elimination diet. But having all that info while my kids were still babies has been invaluable to their health. I recently gave a 'Nasty Food Reward' to a Company that sells slushies at our Tuckshop. You can see it on Sue's website.
http://www.fedupwithfoodadditives.info/extras/NASTY%20FOOD%20AWARDS.htm

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2009, 11:50:58 am »
Bet you will be first in line to go and see her speak ILB ;) ;) My daughter once gave me a SFI subscription so that she could get a Sue Dengate cookbook for kids free.

Offline I Love Bimby!

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2009, 02:14:08 pm »
Yes JD, I am very keen  ;) I haven't read a heap of her stuff, but do find the links between food and how it affects our body's very interesting.  Apparently one of the primary schools have arranged for her to talk.  A number of the parents have read all of her stuff and watched her DVD and made changes to their families diets with good results, and I believe their tuck shop has made a large number of changes too.

So would be extremely interesting from a personal level, and to also maybe another avenue for TMX if parents are looking for an easier and healthier solution...  ;D

And besides... it's pretty exciting for little old Wang - :D :D :D  I'm sure there are a couple of others here that could vouch for that.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2009, 02:24:39 pm »
Well, if you go ILB, make sure you get the opportunity to sprout off about the TMX won't you  ;) ;) Wang has come a long way since some of us on this forum though it was an Asian country  :-)) :-)) bet you all got a laugh when you read that one.

Offline I Love Bimby!

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2009, 02:29:17 pm »
Well, if you go ILB, make sure you get the opportunity to sprout off about the TMX won't you  ;) ;) Wang has come a long way since some of us on this forum though it was an Asian country  :-)) :-)) bet you all got a laugh when you read that one.

I sure did!! And having a good ol' chuckle right now remembering that  :D :D :D

Offline I Love Bimby!

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2009, 03:06:55 pm »
Wow - Sue spoke in Wangaratta this evening and I was very impressed with the number of people attending!  It's so great to see so many becoming aware of the impact of what our modern "food" is having on our health and our kids.

Unfortunatly I wasn't there in my TMX gear due to a whole number of reasons. But we'll work our way in there soon.... ;)