Author Topic: Risotto baked onto the bottom of the bowl  (Read 6016 times)

Offline bellesy

• View Profile
Risotto baked onto the bottom of the bowl
« on: February 07, 2010, 11:52:00 am »
My TMX arrived today!  I kicked it off by making the vege stock concentrate, and then used that in a risotto. 

I need a bit of practice with the scales, as I managed to tip too much rice in, so made up for it by putting more fluid in.  I needed to cook it longer than the recipe said so that all the fluid was absorbed, and at the end of cooking, there was a layer of risotto that had cooked onto the base of the bowl.  I cleaned it according to the manual's instructions, but it still took a lot of manual scrubbing to get it off.  Even then there is a bit of discolouration on the bottom of the bowl.

Is this normal and will it be like that for every risotto I cook?  Or was it because I cooked it too long?

Thanks in advance!

Offline Meagan

• View Profile
Re: Risotto baked onto the bottom of the bowl
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2010, 12:43:26 pm »
It is not really normal to have a huge amount on there (probably due to the longer cooking/larger amount issue, but I do get a little discolouration. I use the scothcbrite (I think they are called) ones that disintegrate when you use them, just a small amount on the base to clean it off - that is what I do although thermomix don't recommend abrasive cleaning scourers
Thermomix consultant in beautiful Perth,  Mum to 2 boys :)

Do you Fly with the flyLady?  www.flylady.net

Offline Nay-nay

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2010, 12:52:34 pm »
Yep - that would be why - too long. Use scotchbright as Meagan said. Even giving it a spin on Speed 2. But I have found new machines seem to stick the first time but than get better. Next time you do your risotto and you think it hasn't absorbed enough, pop it in the thermoserver for a few minutes while you set the table and it will be fully absorbed by the time you're ready to eat.   BTW How did it taste?? ;)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2010, 12:56:58 pm »
bellesy, I rarely do risotto but with the scale issue it can be a bit tricky so perhaps you could weigh things before commencing the recipe rather than just tipping ingredients such as rice, milk etc straight into the bowl. I was a bit of a bull at a gate to start with but have learnt to take it easy now and if I do go over it is only a matter of 5 grams. You will soon learn how your machine works in this regard.  Nay-nay makes a good point with putting a sloppy risotto in the thermosaver - the rice will absorb the extra liquid in no time.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2010, 02:02:38 am »
Some people also put their basket on top of the TMX and weigh everything into that so that if they go over it is easy to remove some. You will soon master the skill and learn how the scales go.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline bellesy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2010, 02:59:58 am »
Oh, thanks for the advice.  I'll get better with the scales (and will probably use a bowl on a chopping board across the top when measuring stuff out). 

BTW How did it taste?? ;)
AMAZING!  It was one of faffa_70's recipes.  Great one to kick off on!

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2010, 12:33:27 pm »
I bought a stack of those stainless steel bowls,  they sit on top of the lid and you can just weigh things into them,  also easy to clean.

Offline katesjoy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2010, 10:58:20 pm »
I put a bit of bicarb and water in my bowl if it looks a bit discouloured - give it a whiz after half hour or so (the or so being when l actually remember it) and no marks left on bowl.

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2010, 01:44:34 am »
has the latest risotto recipe changed? 'cause this is the third (i think) new owner i've heard with this problem...

over 2 years of making risotto and i'm not sure i've EVER had the sme problem
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog