Author Topic: "Raw flour" taste  (Read 3787 times)

Offline giordano

• View Profile
"Raw flour" taste
« on: August 18, 2015, 11:46:26 am »
Hi, I'm new to Thermomix. After an international move we have almost no kitchen machinery so I wanted to learn. A friend lent me her TM31, along with the 2011 edition of the Australian "Everyday cooking". She's gone on holiday so I can't get advice from her.

The first thing I tried was cauliflower soup, following the recipe scrupulously. The texture was excellent but when we tasted it before adding the Parmesan the flavour was spoilt by a strong taste of raw flour (like flour and water paste). Adding the cheese partially masked this.

Next day I tried the béchamel sauce recipe. Again I followed it exactly, but after the prescribed 7 minutes at 90C on speed 4 the bowl just contained a soupy liquid that tasted exactly like flour and water paste. Since the recipe said "...or until desired consistency is achieved" I gave it five minutes more, still at 90C on speed 4. This gave an excellent consistency but the taste was still dominated by the "raw flour" taste.

So I cooked it longer, for a total of 20 minutes. The result had lost a little of the "raw flour" taste but didn't taste like the white sauce I'd make on the stovetop using exactly the same ingredients. Adding strong cheddar, mustard powder and paprika masked but did not eliminate the taste.

Is there some trick that the recipes don't mention, or is this just how things are?

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: "Raw flour" taste
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2015, 01:01:00 pm »
Hi giordano, welcome to the forum.  In response to your question I'd advise you to melt the butter in the TM bowl then add the flour.  Cook for a minute or so then add the milk and then follow the recipe. This eliminates that raw flour taste. Use 100 degrees/speed 1 for these 2 steps.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline giordano

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2015, 02:30:03 pm »
Thank you, Judy. I'll give that a try.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2015, 01:49:49 am »
This recipe here is one that I always use and we love it! It makes a lot so sometimes I halve the recipe.
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline giordano

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2015, 01:36:39 pm »
This recipe here is one that I always use and we love it! It makes a lot so sometimes I halve the recipe.

I tried this - but using, as recommended further down that thread, 200g cheese and 45g cornflour, plus a bit more mustard powder. It was really good. Thank you.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2015, 09:45:48 pm »
I also use the same recipe as CP.
I am not a fan of EDC recipes. I suggest you use the Forum for well tested recipes.

Offline Aussie Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2015, 11:23:51 pm »
Hello and welcome to the forum, when I read your posts my first thought was, something is wrong with the flour , what if you buy some fresh flour and have another go.  Maybe my PALLET ( been watching the Hotplate😃😃😃) isn't sensitive.

Offline bogie1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2015, 01:52:45 am »
Hi All, not a raw flour taste, but I made the Béchamel sauce from the chip last night and, whilst not quite a fail, not really a success either.  It just wasn't the right texture at all, in fact quite soupy.  Has anyone else had this issue?  I'm going to give the recipe above a go the next time.  ???
Jenny