Author Topic: Macaroni Beef  (Read 67663 times)

Offline johnro

• View Profile
Macaroni Beef
« on: September 02, 2010, 08:48:52 pm »
Name of Recipe: Macaroni Beef

Number of People: 6 large serves

Ingredients:

1 onion, quartered
2 cloves garlic
1 carrot roughly chopped
30g oil
1/2 cup grated zucchini
1/2 cup frozen peas
600g mince
420g can tomato soup
2 tabsp tomato paste
1 tabsp TMX concentrate
2cup dry macaroni

TOPPING -
Bechamel Sauce - add 3/4 cup grated cheese - EDC p58

Preparation:

Chop onions, garlic and carrots 3 sec speed 5.
Add oil saute 4 mins - 100° - speed 1.
Add mince cook 10mins varoma temp -  :-: -  ^^
Add remaining ingredients cook 15 mins 100°  :-: -  ^^.  Place meat mixture into lasagne dish or similar.
Cook macaroni - following EDC p16, (although I don't feel that you need to boil the water for 14mins as in step 1, I waited until the water was boiling rapidly ) -  2 cups dry macaroni took 10 mins 100°  :-: -  ^^  
Mix well drained cooked macaroni through meat mixture in dish.
Pour cheese topping over meat you may wish to sprinkle with extra cheese, but this is not necessary.
Bake 25-30 mins mod oven or until top is golden.

Photos:
Must remember the pic before the meal begins not when the dish is going in the dishwasher :D :D

Tips/Hints:
A favourite recipe of our household adapted from 'Symply Too Good to Be True - Book 2 it converted easily to the TMX.

Again all the wonderful 'pros' on the forum will be able to provide tasty tweaks.

Enjoy

Robyn - aka johnro

members' comments

Kimberley - We have made this twice now but have just eaten it as pasta, rather than putting on the the bechamel sauce and baking- I am usually in a hurry. Today was in more of a hurry than usual, so added the raw pasta in at the 'add remaining ingredients' stage with some boiling water and cooked for about 14 minutes. It wasn't quite as good as adding in cooked pasta at the end but still really yummy and all cooked in 25 minutes in the one pot, so I think I will be doing it like that from now on.

Terri - Thank you for an awesome recipe, both my little ones ate it which is nothing short of a miracle!! I did replace the can of soup with tomato juice, garlic powder, onion powder, basil and oregano as per quirkycooking can the canned soup post !! A big thanks again!!

Kym - Another goodie for the kids.  Thank you. I had this with a couple of extras.  I added some pureed butternut pumpkin to the meat and pureed cauliflower to the cheese sauce.  I have to sneak in vegies wherever possible that my nearly 3 year old can't detect!

Chelsea - We loved this tasty family meal!  Thanks so much for posting it for us Robyn. I tweaked it a bit to cut out the can of soup and to include cooking the macaroni in with the mince etc.  It worked a treat and cut 15 minutes out of the total cooking time.  
Tweaks:
I substituted 1/2 a red capsicum for the zucchini and chopped it in with the onion, carrot etc.
I used 400g mince instead of 600g (I found 400g oodles).
Instead of the tomato soup I used a 400g can of diced tomatoes (pureed), 1 tbsp rapadura, salt, pepper & 50g homemade tomato sauce.
I added 500g of water and 300g macaroni in when I added the soup substitute, peas, stock etc.

It filled my large lasagne dish and also a smaller baking dish.  Enough for two meals for our family of four.

JD - it sure makes heaps. Only had to alter the times slightly Robyn and used Chelsea's method of adding the macaroni to save time.  My machine was having trouble coping on soft speed so I had to use 2.5 - luckily the reverse action works well and didn't mash the macaroni ! Tasted great Robyn. Great for a crowd, we will get 8 serves out of it here, others maybe 6.

KarenH - Made this with Chelsea's tweaks - although I cooked the pasta separately on the stove top which was a good thing since I read the quantities wrong and used 500g pasta - made a huge quantity. It was delicious and will definitely be made again! Thanks for this wonderful dish!

Caroline J - This is a regular in our house now. I do a lot of tweaking depending what I have in the fridge.  It's a great meal for using up leftover veg.  I end up doing 50/50 meat and veg but you cannot tell.

CP - Only used 360g of minced meat but added extra mashed pumpkin and zucchini and all the tweaks mentioned. Cooked the pasta separate. Another family favourite 5/5 - thanks johnro (and CTG for tweaks) for a lovely recipe.

Yvette - Made this without the sauce - kids liked it, quite tasty but I am not sure if I like mince cooked in the TM.

maddy - Nice and easy Robyn. Thank-you. I used a full capsicum, whole zucchini, 600g beef mince, cracked pepper and added 2 tsp. pizza herbs to your sauce recipe. I then cooked a full pack (500g) of macaroni on the stove. I then placed it in a large roasting tray and used 1/2 cup tasty cheese & 1/2 cup mozzarella in the bechamel sauce. I did sprinkle some extra cheese on top......cos you can never have enough cheese. Was yummy!

astarra - This made enough for our dinner and then 5 smaller portions to freeze for DH's lunches at work.  So quick and easy ... and I loved the fact that I could prepare it in the morning then put it in the oven on automatic - tea cooked while I got in and folded the days washing!! All round clear plates and big grins here.  I didn't have any tins of soup so used a tin of chopped tomatoes with basil and garlic, which I then filled the tin 1/2 way with water and added that too.  Because I was using this, I left the garlic out.  I sprinkled paprika and pizza topper over the extra grated cheese i put on top of the finished bake!(before cooking).

auds - Considering I fluffed it up so much, it turned out surprisingly good.  I loved the cheesy sauce and I also let it sit for about 15 mins before I cut it up. Will definitely make again.

Hally - The meat was beautiful. Used 800g lamb mince, added umami paste. Put macaroni into TM server poured boiling water over, left for 15 mins, cooked ready to go in oven.

thermo 18 - I have made this quite a few times now and is a winner, made yesterday just have to put in the oven today. Great for when you have a few people coming over.

Tam - I think it's going to be a winner, followed Chelsea's tweaks and cooked the pasta in with the beef to eliminate having to boil the pasta separately.  Also had some lovely rainbow chard so chopped that up and placed it on top of the beef, then the cheese sauce - YUMMO!!!

Amy - it was a huge hit! I didn't realise how much it made. I knew I should have read all the comments first! We have another whole dish for the freezer, plus leftovers for mum and SD to have for lunch tomorrow. I added a good sprinkling of dried rosemary and thyme to my mince sauce and used tinned tomatoes rather than tomato soup.

Kimmyh - We all loved it. My cheese sauce was a bit runny (my fault) but everything was really delicious. Added pizza topper as suggested. Yummy and easy.

Jamberie - Thanks for a great recipe. I had some baby spinach that needed using so I added it about two minutes before the mince finished. Also used a can of chopped tomatoes, mixed herbs and dried oregano instead of the can of soup. DD2 and DH both gave it the thumbs up, it's sure to be a regular.

CC - Complete success we loved it. I only used half the mixture of beef sauce and cheese sauce with one cup of cooked macaroni for the three of us. The remaining sauces have gone into the freezer for another time.

Bedlam - I used quorn instead of beef. We all loved it.

Wonder - I made a version of this with a combination of bolognese and tomato sauces we had in the freezer when we had unexpected guests on Friday night. It was loved by all.  I always use the awesome cheese sauce recipes.

foodgroupie - huge hit, wife and 16 month old loved it. Heaps of left overs for the freezer. Thanks so much for this recipe!

INAID - I have made this too and loved it.

Jessica1 - This was my first main meal in the TMX and we all loved it...even a NON vegetable eating child.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 04:49:08 am by judydawn »
Robyn from Rockhampton, Qld  :)

I used to have a handle on life, then it broke.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
Re: Macaroni Beef
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 05:37:07 am »
Good conversion Robyn.  Always good to have options.  I agree about the water boiling and often use the kettle to boil the water  :-))
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 05:43:17 am »
Good one Robyn, whilst reading it I was thinking I've done something like this before and when you said where you got it from  I was right as I have that series of books too.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Kimberley

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010, 12:55:24 pm »
Hi, thanks for this recipe, my husband loves anything that has a can of tomato soup in it. We have made this twice now, but have just eaten it as pasta, rather than putting on the the bechamel sauce and baking- I am usually in a hurry. Today was in more of a hurry than usual, so added the raw pasta in at the 'add remainind ingredients' stage with some boiling water and cooked for about 14 minutes. It wasn't quite as good as adding in cooked pasta at the end, but still really yummy and all cooked in 25 minutes in the one pot, so I think I will be doing it like that from now on.
Thanks again!

Offline Kimberley

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2010, 03:12:18 am »
Just wanted to add I am not sure how much pasta I put in but probably not 2 cups, that might be too much for the thermomix's capacity when cooking the meat as well.

Offline johnro

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2010, 10:03:16 am »
Glad that you enjoyed this dish, Kimberley it is a favourite with all who have tried it 'pre thermie' days.

Cheers

Offline Terri

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2010, 07:41:38 am »
 ;D  ;D Thank you for an awesome recipe, both my little ones ate it which is nothing short of a miracle!! I did replace the can of soup with tomato juice, garlic powder, onion powder, basil and oregano as per quirkycooking can the canned soup post !! A big thanks again!!

Offline Kym

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2010, 08:24:32 am »
Another goodie for the kids.  Thank you.

Offline johnro

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2010, 10:27:54 am »
Pleased that you enjoyed it tessa and kym - the original was always a great one to feed kids or crowds (which was often both rolled into one when my 3 were littlies - so were all family and friends!!!!!)
Cheers

Robyn - aka johnro

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2010, 03:29:09 am »
I've put this on next weeks menu plan.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline KarenH

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2010, 03:48:17 am »
Sounds great!  I want to put this on my menu plan too - but with all the recipes I am getting from this forum that I want to try, I think my menu plan is into next year already :P
Karen in Adelaide

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2010, 04:08:27 am »
I am going to make this tonight - it sounds yum.  I don't have any tomato juice (to replace the can of soup), but am hoping a can of diced tomatoes pureed with perhaps a bit extra water might be ok. ??? :)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2010, 04:09:48 am »
 :D :D Know what you mean KJH. I have just put the ingredients needed for this recipe onto this week's shopping list so this one didn't take too long to work its way to the top of the list. It did push others further down that list unfortunately. Aren't our choices for meals amazing  8)

I was going to use MJ's tomato passata I have in the freezer Chelsea.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2010, 12:43:51 pm »
We loved this tasty family meal!  Thanks so much for posting it for us Robyn.  :)

I tweaked it a bit to cut out the can of soup and to include cooking the macaroni in with the mince etc.  It worked a treat and cut 15 minutes out of the total cooking time. 

Tweaks:
I substituted 1/2 a red capsicum for the zucchini and chopped it in with the onion, carrot etc.
I used 400g mince instead of 600g (I found 400g oodles).
Instead of the tomato soup I used a 400g can of diced tomatoes (pureed), 1 tbsp rapadura, salt, pepper & 50g homemade tomato sauce.
I added 500g of water and 300g macaroni in when I added the soup substitute, peas, stock etc.

It filled my large lasagne dish and also a smaller baking dish.  Enough for two meals for our family of four. :)

Offline johnro

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2010, 02:36:12 pm »
No problem Chelsea, I knew that you wonderful 'pros' would provide us all with a variety of tweaks.  :) :)