Author Topic: THE SHOPPING THREAD :-)  (Read 4497961 times)

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: THE SHOPPING THREAD :-)
« Reply #1125 on: November 07, 2011, 07:52:57 am »
Robyn have you made any icecream yet?
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline nazar

• View Profile
« Reply #1126 on: November 07, 2011, 08:24:55 am »
johnro whats your first flavour going to be
there so many to choose from

South West WA AUSTRALIA

Offline johnro

• View Profile
« Reply #1127 on: November 07, 2011, 08:44:29 am »
No Cookie and it will be the salted maple icecream I think, Nazar!!!!!  But it is a week at work that is so demanding - teaching and learning audit going on across the whole school (mind you I really think some big wig office jock needs to justify their existence so what surfaces - a teaching and learning audit!!!!! - grrrr....... Not Happy Jan (sorry no pun intended VHJ)
Robyn from Rockhampton, Qld  :)

I used to have a handle on life, then it broke.

Offline nazar

• View Profile
« Reply #1128 on: November 07, 2011, 08:50:06 am »
dont you hate the bigwigs that sit in there aircon room making decisions about a job they dont even know or do
l get that a lot. l work for the wa  health department

South West WA AUSTRALIA

Offline kezza

• View Profile
« Reply #1129 on: November 07, 2011, 09:02:14 am »
Robyn, I was looking at that icecream makerat the shops today.  I love my little Breville one, but I think I want to be able to make a few batches at once, instead of waiing 24 hrs to make another batch.  Let me know what you think of it.  I was also  looking at bread makers since reading the lightbulb moment a lot of you have spoken about. Sounds like it would be a good idea in Summer to use for baking.  I wonder how much electricity I use when I fire up my oven to bake a couple of loaves.  Everyone in WA knows how much more expensive our electricity bills have become.  I nearly had a fit when I got my first bill after using our new aircon last year.  However, having said that, when it is stinking hot, I don't care, the aircon is going on - especially at night.

Offline Very Happy Jan

• View Profile
« Reply #1130 on: November 07, 2011, 10:12:11 am »
- a teaching and learning audit!!!!! - grrrr....... Not Happy Jan (sorry no pun intended VHJ)
:D :D :D :D Made me chuckle Robyn
Jan.  Perth,  Western Australia
Adolescence is a time of great change. Between the ages of 12 and 17 a parent can age 20 years.

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
    • Books, Cooks, Gadgets and Gardening
« Reply #1131 on: November 07, 2011, 04:05:43 pm »
two or three years ago I replaced it with a deBuyer mandolin that is much easier on my shoulder and elbow - the action is different.
I slice a lot of ginger for candying and for me it is easier than using the Cuisinart.

Andi, I'm looking into the De Buyer Professional mandolin at the moment.  Have read so many good reviews.  The pusher looks a lot more 'safe' than the Borner V-slicer I use at the moment, though I think buying a mesh glove might be a good idea too.  :D
The optional long pusher looks like a good idea for carrot sticks etc.  ;D

Yes, I have the long pusher as well as the regular one.  I often slice large eggplant to use as a wrap around various meat and veg fillings and the long pusher works well and I've also learned to use it for slicing two fairly large cucumbers lengthwise, ditto carrots. 
I could never do that with the Bron and the way the pushers are constructed, every bit of the item gets sliced. 
The blades are incredibly sharp.
I got mine when it was first introduced in the US and paid full price, they are now much, much less expensive but I'm still glad I got it when I did, I have gotten a lot of use out of it.

I especially like the fitted case in which it comes and it is bigger than it looks in photos.  The case is 23 inches long and is exceptionally sturdy.  Unfortunately the long pusher does not fit in the case but i keep them together in one of the jumbo Zip-Lock storage bags and hang it in the pantry where it is always handy and dust free.
I'm not OverWeight, I'm UnderTall!
My Blog: http://www.asenjigalblogs.com/

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #1132 on: November 07, 2011, 08:55:45 pm »
Teninas book  Dinner Spinners, just logged on to purchase, its sold out!!!

H ???
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #1133 on: November 07, 2011, 09:04:51 pm »
Thanks Andi.  I thought about getting one sent from the US as they are cheaper there ($270 + $50 for the long pusher),  but the shipping was $75 so would have worked out dearer than buying it from here.  The cheapest I can find it here is $315 and the long pusher a further $56, so not much change from $400 once postage is added.  

I never rush into buying anything expensive like this, like to make sure it's what I want first, but after days of researching on-line  I keep coming back to this brand and model.  :)

ETA:  After a bit more on-line checking OS, I found a place in the US where I've been able to get it and the long pusher delivered for $300, $100 less than buying it here.  Should be here by end of next week.  :)
« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 12:36:42 am by JulieO »

Offline johnro

• View Profile
« Reply #1134 on: November 07, 2011, 09:45:15 pm »
I emailed Tenina yesterday and she advised that Dinner Spinners is not being released until I thought she said 17th Nov, while the 2nd book is mid Dec - I will recheck the reply as I have obviously got it mixed (I emailed from school)  :)  :)
PS - The following is from Tenina's email - The Dinner Spinner which is my small project is available only online or at cooking classes. (My ones obviously!!)
hahah…so the Dinner Spinner will be available after November 22nd and the For Foods Sake will be available mid December I think
« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 12:17:54 am by johnro »

Offline maddy

• View Profile
« Reply #1135 on: November 08, 2011, 02:48:33 am »

With a cover that gorgeous, how could it not be on display.
.........EAT CAKE!

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #1136 on: November 08, 2011, 02:55:15 am »
Thanks johnro
H :)
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #1137 on: November 08, 2011, 03:22:06 am »
Maddy, that's so you!  :D

Offline johnro

• View Profile
« Reply #1138 on: November 08, 2011, 03:50:58 am »
Maddy I also pruchased that book last week when I picked up the 2nd heart tin at a bargaib price - actually you came to mind as soon as I had it in my hand  :)  :) It has been my bedtime story ever since  :)  :) :)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1139 on: November 08, 2011, 03:53:51 am »
Have yet to see that book girls but will try to - even if it is just to hold it & flick through it.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.