Author Topic: THE SHOPPING THREAD :-)  (Read 4524970 times)

Offline Halex

• View Profile
Re: THE SHOPPING THREAD :-)
« Reply #1275 on: December 01, 2011, 06:13:51 am »
Good shop up cookie

Sounds like fun

H :)
Yes love my vw golf, my mum had them in the uk too :)
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #1276 on: December 01, 2011, 06:40:17 am »
fundj, I love it although I've only had it a few times. It definitely lasts and the last lot on my hands was still fine at three weeks although my nails had grown quite a lot and looked a bit trashy, on my toes I find it lasts even longer because they don't grow as quickly. As yvette says some places can damage your nails but I find it's when they are removing rather than in the application - that's if its true shellac as opposed to gel. One salon I went to started to apply gel when i asked for shellac and when I complained and asked them to stop got very irate and said I didn't know what I was talking about and that they were the experts - I got up and left and will never go back! When having it removed try and find a place that wraps each finger individually rather than gets you to leave your fingers sitting in acetone.

Offline johnro

• View Profile
« Reply #1277 on: December 01, 2011, 07:16:26 am »
I have just had shellac removed after having it for most of this year - I figured that my nails needed some fresh air.  The biggest disappointment for me though is not being able to have a thermie chat once a fortnight as the nail technician was one of the people who bought a thermie sight unseen as a result of my raving each time I was in the salon - the same applied to the beauty therapist.  Perhaps I should take that as a sign I talk (rave) way too much  :)  :)
Robyn from Rockhampton, Qld  :)

I used to have a handle on life, then it broke.

Offline Twitterpated

• View Profile
« Reply #1278 on: December 01, 2011, 08:10:02 am »
I think I must tend to rave a bit as well. I have been asked to help others make the most of their TMX by holding a demonstration of sorts. As a qualified trainer I don't have a problem doing it but questioned whether it should be done by a consultant. The answer that came back was that this particular group of mums wanted someone who was like them and could show them the hints/tips etc but as they already own TMX's they didn't want the same old spiel. Unfortunately I am unable to attend on the set date but really besides the basics I was going to introduce them to this forum - it's where I went when I had my training wheels on.  ;D

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #1279 on: December 01, 2011, 08:50:18 am »
Did my once a year shop in a wonderful Italian Supermarket in Melb.  Bought a large bag of dried porcini mushrooms, several trays of fresh lasagna noodles. several bottles of very Italian Grog.  4 large blocks of the best parmasan cheese, which I will wrap in foil and freeze.  Lots of packets of Loacker wafer biscuits.  As many different pasta shapes and colors as I could find.Many other things,  however the highlight of the trip was morning tea.  great coffee with a slice of Pannatone.  It was filled with a cream flavored with Bergamot.  I am going to make some of this,  even if it kills me!!!!!!   The shop people were interested to know what I thought,  was it moist enough, how sweet was the filling?   And the real prize was a small parcel of licorice root.  I have never seen this before but remember quite a discussion on the Forum when I first joined. 
This possibly is not REAL shopping, but for me great.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1280 on: December 01, 2011, 08:57:47 am »
Chookie, not only is it real shopping it's interesting shopping. I could spend hours in shops that sell those sorts of things.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #1281 on: December 01, 2011, 10:07:33 am »
i agree yes its real shopping...sounds divine  :)
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/

Offline Meagan

• View Profile
« Reply #1282 on: December 01, 2011, 03:23:52 pm »
I have had some shellacking done ;) , so far i love it.  ;D

I have had it on my toes for three plus weeks and it looks like new. Love it!!
Thermomix consultant in beautiful Perth,  Mum to 2 boys :)

Do you Fly with the flyLady?  www.flylady.net

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #1283 on: December 01, 2011, 06:44:23 pm »
never heard of shelllacking here but have french gel on my fingers and toes and it lasts for weeks and wont damage your nails!  Some months i do it in colour, sometimes the korean print (forget what its called) sometimes just gel and some funky stickers, strass etc...i love it !

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
    • Books, Cooks, Gadgets and Gardening
« Reply #1284 on: December 01, 2011, 06:51:25 pm »
Here it is referred to as "acrylics" and can do considerable damage to the nail bed, causing deformation that can last for years.

I tried it several years ago but apparently am very allergic to at least one of the ingredients as after a couple of applications, all around my nail the skin blistered. 
Some of the compounds contained formaldehyde but there have been some changes because of lawsuits. 
I'm not OverWeight, I'm UnderTall!
My Blog: http://www.asenjigalblogs.com/

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #1285 on: December 01, 2011, 07:41:04 pm »
Hi Andie, shellac is quite different to acrylics. I've had acrylics and gel in the best and both have damaged my nails the first time around and i would nevere try them again, but I find the shellac has been fine the few times I've had it done. Apparently the shellac allows air to the nail which is one of the biggest problems. It's also best to continue using a cuticle oil while wearing the shellac which I wasn't advised to do with either of the other methods. I've always had terrible nails which are very dry and ridged so it's great to have them looking great every once in a while.

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #1286 on: December 01, 2011, 10:34:13 pm »
Chookie, where is this shop in melbourne, i must go there on my next visit in december. It sounds fantastic

Thanks
H :)
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #1287 on: December 02, 2011, 03:55:11 am »
Hally, Mediterranean Wholesalers,  482 Sydney Rd. Melb.  Let me know when you are coming,  and if free will show you around.  Bring an extra case.

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #1288 on: December 02, 2011, 04:34:17 am »
that's a fantastic shop achookwoman. I haven't been there in years. I used to love buying fresh rolls and a few slices of ham and eating while browsing.

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #1289 on: December 02, 2011, 06:24:46 am »
the type of gel i have on my nails does not affect them or damage them at all but in a salon or institute they will easily knock you back 90 odd euros just for your hands as it isnt the same type as the chinese type places.  Here they warn you about going to the cheaper or asian type nail places or large chains that here anyway always use products that will damage your nails permanently...like anything i guess you get what you pay for and no its not about cost but finding out what products are being used..one of my neighbours was a nail technician and she put me onto someone I could trust whose products are safe...I have had breaks now and then of no gel with my nails and they are just as healthy and strong as when I didnt have this gel on them...