Author Topic: Russian Tea Cakes  (Read 5697 times)

Offline AuntAnnie

• View Profile
    • Aunt Annie$s Attic
Russian Tea Cakes
« on: July 28, 2009, 01:47:37 am »
Name of Recipe: Russian Tea Cakes
Number of People:12
Ingredients:
1 c. shortening (or butter)
¼ tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla
½ c. confectioners sugar
2 ¼ c. gluten free flour mix (see below)
¾ c. nuts (hazelnuts or pecans)

Preparation:
If you want to make your own confectioner’s sugar, do that first and set aside. Remember to make enough for the measured amount and to roll the finished cookies in.

1. Chop nuts: 3 seconds on speed 4. Remove and set aside.
2. Mix butter, sugar and vanilla until pale and creamy. speed 4, 40-60 seconds. You might need to scrape down the bowl half way through.
3. Add dry ingredients to butter mixture. Mix for approximately 60 seconds on the knead setting.
4. Add nuts during last 30 seconds.

Form into small balls about ½ inch in diameter and place on lightly greased baking sheet. Bake at 325°F for 15 to 20 minutes or at 375°F for 10 to 12 minutes. While still warm, roll in confectioners sugar. Cool and roll in sugar again.

Tips/Hints:
This recipe is from an old church cookbook and was submitted by my grandmother, Mrs. John R. McLaren, in 1951.  I modified them to use gluten free flour and I do use butter. Sorry, Grandmother.

Here is the mix I usually make up to substitute for regular flour in many cases:
Basic                              x2      x4
1 c. white rice flour                2 c.      4 c.
1/2 c. potato starch                1 c.      2 c.
1/2 c. cornstarch or arrowroot          1 c.      2 c.
1/2 c. sweet rice flour                1 c.      2 c.
1 c. sorghum flour                2 c.      4 c.
1/2 c. tapioca starch                1 c.      2 c.
1 ½  tsp. xanthan gum             1 Tbs.   2 Tbs.
1 ½  tsp. guar gum                1 Tbs.   2 Tbs.

members' comments
Riv Mum - These are fantastic!!!!  Kids absolutely loved them. They were a bit fiddly having to roll them into balls but worth it.

I didn't have all of the gluten free flours and don't have the knowledge of gluten free things to be able to substitute. So I just used bakers flour with 1 1/2 tbs of xanthan gum.
The only other thing I did different was to add about 30g extra of butter as the mixture was too crumbly and I gave the cashews a quick whizz to chop them before starting.
A great recipe. They would make a great gift at Christmas time as they have  a festive feel to them.
A dusting of orange and cardamom sugar would give them a bit of a different flavour and something a bit extra if you wanted.
5/5 will be making these again.

brazen20au - you definitely don't need xanthan gum if you're using gluten flour - it's to try to replicate the gluten bakers flour, has extra gluten I believe.

« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 02:03:23 am by judydawn »
Aunt Annie

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
Re: Russian Tea Cakes
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2009, 02:27:33 am »
oooh rora (my 3yo) would love these! she loves nuts!  sorghum flour is hard to find here, but i eventually found it in an indian store but the name it goes under escapes me - jowar flour? will check...
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline AuntAnnie

• View Profile
    • Aunt Annie$s Attic
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2009, 02:57:54 am »
Yes, jowar flour is the same I think, or close enough.

You can also use chickpea or besan flour. Here I sometimes use corn flour, but that is not the same as cornstarch. It is really finely ground cornmeal. But I think the sorghum flour is the best. I do not like the taste of some of the chickpea flours.

These are really good-- even my neighbor's children (ages 10, 14, 15, and 17) like them and they can ea wheat.
Aunt Annie

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2009, 03:26:12 am »
Thanks AA  - great to be able to share some history too.  :-*
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline riv_mum

• View Profile
    • Thermotalk
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2009, 05:51:25 am »
These are fantastic!!!!

Kids absolutly loved them. They were a bit fiddly having to roll them into balls but worth it.

I didnt have all of the gluten free flours and dont have the knowledge of gluten free things to be able to substitute. So i just used bakers flour with 1 1/2 tbs of xanthem gum.

The only other thing i did different was to add about 30g extra of butter as the mixture was too crumbly and i gave the cashews a quick wizz to chopp them before starting.

A great recipe. They would make a great gift at christmas time as they have  a festive feel to them.
A dusting of orange and cardimon sugar would give them a bit of a different flavour and something a bit extra if you wanted.

5/5 willl be making these again.
Sheree
Tupperware and Thermomix Consultant.
www.thermotalk.webs.com

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2009, 07:08:42 am »
you definitely don't need xanthan gum if you're using gluten flour - it's to try to replicate the gluten :) bakers flour has extra gluten i believe.

they sound great!
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2009, 01:54:26 pm »
Correct
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.