Author Topic: Hello, from Frannie, Melbourne, Australia :)  (Read 6619 times)

Offline frannie

• View Profile
Hello, from Frannie, Melbourne, Australia :)
« on: July 26, 2009, 07:00:24 am »
Hi fellow Thermomixers,

I'm totally new to the TMX, having only received my new appliance 2 days ago.
That night I cooked some basmati rice & vegie stir fry (using lots of home grown vegies) for dinner, instead of the usual Friday fish n chips treat.  The meal was delicious and easy to prepare.

After dinner, my husband (who'd been at the first TMX demo I hosted 2 wks ago) decided to look thru the cookbook and make a cake :)  He chose to make the lemon poppyseed cake.  It sunk slightly in the middle, but tasted delicious.  The next day I made a lemon syrup for the cake (using recipe from Stephanie Alexander's cookbook) - as I was very low on castor sugar, I followed instructions for how to make castor sugar from basic white sugar with great results.

Last night (Sat) we invited mum over for dinner.  Ian roasted chops in the oven with various seasonings, carrots, onions & stock, and I made the perfect potato mash in the TMX book - mum was very impressed (she watched me make the mash)!  For dessert, I cut small slices of the lemon poppyseed cake, drizzled on some heated up lemon syrup, then poured on the lemon custard which I made using the TMX (mum watched again in amazement).

Today (Sun), my husband made the pumpkin soup.  Not quite what we are used to (we don't usually use so much liquid, and the texture is usually creamier, but it wasn't bad, and I'm sure we'll learn how to adapt the recipe.  Ian said that it would have been much better if we'd used butternut pumpkin rather than our (home grown) QLD blue.

I found the starter recipe book a bit limited on main meals, so decided to check out more recipes on the thermomix site, but again, only a few extra recipes.  Then google did me a favour and directed me to this website.  I have since copied, cut & pasted so many of your recipes into a file which I will eventually print off and put in a plastic sleeved folder for future use.

So am looking fwd to making some superb dishes using my new TMX.  Btw, I let friends on our yahoo permaculture site know about my new TMX, and need to sell unrequired appliances such as my hardly used Magimix 3000 food processor and Wonder Mill grain grinder.  I've already got a buyer for the Magimix (yay!), but may have to list my Wonder Mill on ebay, and any monies made will help pay off my credit card purchase of the TMX.

So excited!  Thanks everyone for recipes you've provided for us novices.  Bless you all!  Fran x
« Last Edit: July 26, 2009, 07:16:46 am by frannie »

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
Re: Hello, from Frannie, Melbourne, Australia :)
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2009, 07:37:39 am »
welcome Fran, sounds like you're going great guns with your thermomix!
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Online judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2009, 08:50:52 am »
Hi and welcome Frannie - nice to see you really got into the TMX without wasting any time.  I would never have been game enough to actually cook with someone watching that early on!  Glad you found us, some great recipes on here.  Let us know what you do and what you think as you plough through them.  Another one with a husband who likes to cook - where did I go wrong in life ??? ??? ???  Next time.............
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline frannie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2009, 11:14:46 am »
Many thanks to Karen & Judy for the warm welcome and encouragement!

Bless you!

Fran x

Offline I Love Bimby!

• View Profile
    • Thermomix in North East Victoria
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2009, 12:21:19 pm »
Welcome Fran.
It's great to see you up and running with your TMX so quickly and that your other half has embaced it as well.  Well done!!
Joelene
For a healthier lifestyle.
Thermomix addict and consultant.

http://thermomixinnortheastvictoria.blogspot.com/ - My Blog

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2009, 12:23:51 pm »
Welcome Frannie - great to see another Melburnian.  Shame you had to spend time hunting around for us.  Not sure why the consultants still don't promote the Thermomix recipe blog and the forum.

Practice makes perfect so keep up the thermomixing.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline frannie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2009, 01:31:55 am »
Hi Joelene & Thermomixer,

Many thanks for your warm welcome, too!

Yes, I've been working on my husband re: healthy food preparation (getting him into Sally Fallon's book "Nourishing Traditions", too), so he's really keen, and encouraging.  He says anything that makes me want to prepare food is a bonus (I'm usually too busy or otherwise distracted to prepare meals...ie until I got onto Nourishing Traditions & this TMX machine!  Have quite a few friends into the NT book.

Re: TMX consultant not putting me onto this website, well my consultant has only been promoting the TMX for 3 weeks, and I was her first sale a week or so ago!  I'm pretty sure with her busy lifestyle (4 kids) and now busily booked with TMX demos, she wouldn't have the faintest idea this group exists.  I'll let her know today.

Warm regards,
Fran :)

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2009, 01:42:26 am »
Thanks Frannie - I feel sorry for you poor consultant - nobody seems to tell them about what help they can get either.  :-))

Slowly, slowly.

Good luck with the new start and "Nourishing Traditions" - we expect some recipes  ;)
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline AuntAnnie

• View Profile
    • Aunt Annie$s Attic
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2009, 12:30:55 am »
Welcome Fran! I know you will love your machine.

The Thermomix is great, but this forum is also right up there!

Aunt Annie

Offline I Love Bimby!

• View Profile
    • Thermomix in North East Victoria
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2009, 12:45:41 pm »
Thanks Frannie - I feel sorry for you poor consultant - nobody seems to tell them about what help they can get either.  :-))

Slowly, slowly.

Good luck with the new start and "Nourishing Traditions" - we expect some recipes  ;)

I cant speak for all consultants, and only on my experiences - but personally have found that information to other resources is not readily shared - perhaps it's because others aren't aware of sites like this, are not involved and therefore these things aren't top of mind, or maybe.... no I won't say it, it's too disturbing to think about.   ??? ??? ???
For a healthier lifestyle.
Thermomix addict and consultant.

http://thermomixinnortheastvictoria.blogspot.com/ - My Blog

Offline frannie

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2009, 03:12:54 pm »
Thanks for the welcome, Aunty Annie!
Yes, I can see this is a great site.
Hoping to try out some new recipes soon.
Since the working week began, have been too busy, alas...
Perhaps tomorrow?
Cheers,
Fran :)